New Hot Water Tank Regs, April 16th 2015

While I hate being forced to do anything...especially when it isn't necessary...I installed a tankless electric water heater 5 years ago. It takes 120 amps of 220V, it feeds 4 bathrooms, and costs us less than 1/2 of what our LP tanked heater cost to use.

• Like 2

The naeca douche bags worked with the doe in 2009 to tweak the requirements of mfg from 3-30% more efficiency before 2015. Most of the stuff out there now is pre compliant as they knew about this well before the deadline. Good engineering by solid companies already exceeded their regs with good products. My tanks is made in the USA, has no sacrificial anode, a 3/4 drain and a polybutene tank. Its a few years old and already paid for itself in energy savings. The local coop offered a credit for qualifying appliances but I spaced the deadline.

If this becomes too difficult, like the revolt on incandescent light bulbs, it will be adjusted. This goal ( and overreach of our Federal gov.) Is easily achieved, unlike the cfl China scam.

Beware of salesmen and others trying to make a buck on this. You are not required to remove your old system. No state or municipal can force it either. The new technology is superior to the old rusty chink pots. I lifted this one into my house solo.If you have an electric water heater and can field strip your saiga, you can install a water heater like this in under 30 minutes.post-24315-0-26686900-1428196733_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

While I hate being forced to do anything...especially when it isn't necessary...I installed a tankless electric water heater 5 years ago. It takes 120 amps of 220V, it feeds 4 bathrooms, and costs us less than 1/2 of what our LP tanked heater cost to use.

for 6 months of the yr I heat my domestic hot water with a outside wood furnace and heat the house for around $300, some effort required. Last winter was kinda on the cool side.

I have the same space capsule ( Marathon ) in my basement, might be a little lg cap.

You never know with these guys/girls in gov/big business whether some of the regs are really justified. One would have to think free market economy would produce products that are efficient for the consumer.

I'm good as gold at the moment, in the future I hope I do not experience sticker shock.

Maybe some friends or relatives might need a heads up tho 

Wait. I'm sorry. Ill admit, I didn't fully read the article yet, but 120 amps with 220? Are you vaporizing water? That seems like a lotta amps. Lotta lotta amps. Did I miss something?

Its a Lincoln Arc Welder, but it only heats water on demand, a little pricey, I think, but it should pay for itself over a 5 yr period

It's a Stiebel Eltron 29 kW Tempra.  It hasn't failed me yet, never ran out of hot water.  Fits on the wall and gives me more room (16" x 14" x 5") for other stuff.  Sorry for the crap pic.

20150404_231131.jpg

Edited by Sneak
  • Like 1

Have to, on well water.  Softened with 2 20" sediment filters.  There's a lot of scale iron here.  

^^^good shit!
Do you run a pre filter?

Only problem with electric is when the grid fails.  At least with gas, it will keep running till the transfer station generator fails or the pressure in the line falls off.

29 KW is a hell of a generator to run.

Been contemplating a PTO generator for the Allis-Chalmers 180 diesel. 

• Like 1