Only have one .40 cal, and it is not exciting at all. Its a S&W SD40. Kind of a mix between the Sigma (suck) and the M&P line. It is about the size of a G23, and with an aftermarket trigger (Apex), it is a great shooting gun. 

It's my truck pistol. I loaded 1000 rounds of 40 a while back, and I suspect that will last me about 30 years. Don't shoot 40 much at all.

The first .40 that I every shot (I think it was a Sig) turned me off. I suspect it was loaded with +P.

I shot another friend's .40 Springfield XD, at a range recently, and loved it! That one was no worse than my .45 Beretta.

Edited by Sim_Player

Hello

Beretta PX-4 Storm. I have G-23's and XD-40, can't touch the Beretta for accuracy, natural pointing, lack of muzzle flip.

Probably the only chrome-lined rotating barrel pistol mass produced. (Just guessing there....)

YMMV

-Guido in Houston

"They've been saying for years obama's a genius, I'm just waiting to see his brains....."

-Guido

I like my XDM .40. Shoots nice and has been very reliable.

I'll 2nd the xdm.  I have a 4.5 version and I can nail steel targets all day and usually get a few compliments with my groups on paper.  It's a smooth shooting reliable pistol.

My edc is a S&W shield in .40 with an apex trigger and sear.  There's a night a day difference.  I have to work to get good groups with the shield and is very snappy compared the the full size xdm.  

I got to shoot a Walther PPQ at the Texas Gun Fest, and it was pretty awesome.  I left wanting one and EVERYONE in line shot it great.

I just hate reloading for the 40. The pressures are really high and you have to be extra careful. Not sure what my deal is, just the 40 creeps me out a bit. Like I said, I made 1k rounds for it that are just barely powerful enough to cycle the action, and that is just fine with me. I carry factory Speer GD's for defense. 

Tried several pistols but the XD just felt right, even in the sub-compact and has proven itself since.

Guess thats why there so many brands of pistols, it matters.

You know the justification of choosing the 40 for my pistol and carbines came when I could get ammo and 9s could not.

That would be great once but twice(I lose count how many ammo shortages have we had now?), just made me feel so much smarter than I am.

Thing is if it should ever occur that all that is left to load is FMJ, its still a pretty damned good piece.

Nothing better in the history of the world, than the Steyr M40-A1. A Glock-like pistol (but better **LOL**), designed first for the .40 S&W cartridge. :P

I have been looking for one. Hard to come by these days. How did you like the trapezoid sights before adding the Doctor? A buddy of mine just picked one up, and I fell in love with it. Natural instinctive POA and one of the sweetest factory triggers I have ever felt in a polymer frame gun. I would also like to try the M9A1. If it is everything the 40 is in a 9, it would quickly become my favorite. Edited by Spacehog

Nothing better in the history of the world, than the Steyr M40-A1. A Glock-like pistol (but better **LOL**), designed first for the .40 S&W cartridge. tongue.png

I have been looking for one. Hard to come by these days. How did you like the trapezoid sights before adding the Doctor? A buddy of mine just picked one up, and I fell in love with it. Natural instinctive POA and one of the sweetest factory triggers I have ever felt in a polymer frame gun. I would also like to try the M9A1. If it is everything the 40 is in a 9, it would quickly become my favorite.

I really like the trapezoidal sights.  So much so, that I got rid of the Docter red dot and went back to the OEM sights, and haven't looked back since.  032.gif 

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1