My crazy old man walked down the street from the hospital while my mom was in labor. He purchased a 1977 Gold Cup National Match and went back to the hospital to inspect his second son. I passed muster and he gave me the Colt when I left the home and joined the Army. I still have the pistol, the box, tools and target that came with it. I did something similar for my son only it's a long gun.

• Like 5
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love my 1911s, but this is my favorite. Now has the official title "Safe Queen". It's the oldest and still is a handful. I've posted this picture before and should take a few new ones to do it justi

My crazy old man walked down the street from the hospital while my mom was in labor. He purchased a 1977 Gold Cup National Match and went back to the hospital to inspect his second son. I passed muste

Hmmm price to good to be true? Possibly.   Two points, we get what pay for. So saving a little longer, while painful is an alternative.   The second would be do not make the purchase unless you

Posted Images

Years ago, my issue pistol on the old Submarine was a Colt 1911 dated 1914 and stamped 'US Calvary' with a lanyard loop.

That pistol was uncannily accurate! It was hard to miss anything- it just shot to the point of aim perfectly.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a basic full size RIA 1911A1. Probably my favorite handgun to shoot that I own. I am also much more accurate with it than anything else I have owned. It's a little heavy but I carry it iwb with out problems. It's a lot lighter than my tool pouches at work.

• Like 1

JDeko, Will get haters, yet the 145 and 845 have both functioned flawless. The 845 is close to the 24/7, just double stacked. Bought both at different time on impulse. Couple people locally have had issue in past with different models, yet repaired or replaced by company. Most pain in rear pistol ever owned was a Colt 1911 officer (basic GI), bought new 20 years ago, constant failure, Colt service sucked at the time. After 3 years back and forth, finally sent a replacement and sold it. All makers have good and bad, some just suck at service of product.

• Like 3

So Taurus has good customer service? Because honestly a double-stack .45acp for 350 dollars is a damn fine deal and enough to have me questioning getting it instead of the Tokarev I've been eyeing as my first pistol. .45acp is never going to be scarce whereas 7.62x25mm very well could. I'm just worried such a price might be too good to be true.

Hmmm price to good to be true? Possibly.

Two points, we get what pay for. So saving a little longer, while painful is an alternative.

The second would be do not make the purchase unless you have held it, shot it and felt how you how you like it. Feel is a really big deal for me. I can palm a watermelon, so there are several models that just don't work for me.

It is worth the time, gas or whatever it takes to try it before you buy it. Don't make the mistakes I have made by not testing it first.

• Like 4

So Taurus has good customer service? Because honestly a double-stack .45acp for 350 dollars is a damn fine deal and enough to have me questioning getting it instead of the Tokarev I've been eyeing as my first pistol. .45acp is never going to be scarce whereas 7.62x25mm very well could. I'm just worried such a price might be too good to be true.

Another $125 will get you an XD Mod2. It's essentially a double stack XDS.

Very compact for a .45, 9rnds in the small mag, 13rnds in the longer mag.

It's supposed to have a good feel to it.

Well worth it over the Taurus IMO.

Taurus has had good models and bad models. The "classic types" i.e. S&W 66 clone, 1911 clones, M92 clones all have solid reputations. Their plastic pistols and some of the early 90s snubbie revolvers are about like windows OS. Alternate versions are either great or awful.

A lot of people hate the company, but I've had good luck with them. I plan to buy a TCP as my next gun. It is unequivocally nicer than the ruger LCP and is less money. Better looking, better features, easier to shoot well, and substantially cheaper.

Not only are the Taurus less expensive but they don't look as blocky as the XDs. The 5in XD .45s look a lot better but they cost more unlike with 1911s where the shorter barreled onces meant for concealing cost more.

The Taurus 24/7s seem to be in short supply though so that scares me a bit since extra mags might be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot an M&P .45acp today and my aim with it was quite bad compared to when I shot a 1911 right after and all the times I've shot 1911s before.

Is there a reason for that? I'm still learning all this so any help would be very appreciated.

Pistols are difficult to shoot accurately to begin with, it takes a lot of practice.

I'm not a great shot with a pistol, I need a lot more practice.

I'm a decent shot with one of my .45's (CZ clone) but terrible with the other (a Taurus).

One issue is that I hate the sights on the Taurus, the other is lack of practice.

I'll fix the sights on the Taurus one of these days.

So I think you are seeing something similar. You have some experience on 1911s,

but you moved over to the M&P and it's a different animal. Moving from one model

of gun to another is always going to give different results.

Different guns will have different sights, sight picture, sight adjustment, etc. They will

have different barrel lengths and will have different performance characteristics.

Also the way the grip fits your hand is different on different guns.

You can have identical model guns that shoot slightly different due to barrel differences,

maybe different recoil springs, wear on the gun, etc.

Once you buy the one you want, you'll need to dial in the sights and practice with it

to get consistent accuracy. When you buy the next one, you start over with that one.

ETA: You also get different points of impact with different ammo in the same gun.

There are a lot of variables going on.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

my two cents.:

A few reasons can go into it. One is confidence of what you are used to. Placebo is important. 

The M&P series is specifically intended to take some of the ergonomic aspects of a 1911 and translate them to a modern plastic striker fired design, notably grip angle and location of controls.

Weight. Plastic guns weigh less. Therefore recoil feels sharper. Also it takes less force to move them both onto and off of sight alignment. So you wobble at a higher frequency and amplitude with a lighter gun.

Where the trigger breaks in the pulll, how the trigger breaks.  Where the pull starts. Pivoting trigger vs. straight trigger. 

You are used to the 1911. A light short crisp single action pull is easier to trip before you mess something else up. The M&P has a longer mushier stackier pull which breaks a little further forward, as do most striker guns. As such, it takes more deliberation to keep your finger moving in a straight line.  If you pull the gun to the side, up or down while pulling the trigger, the careful aiming you did a half second before is wasted.

Also 1911s are basically flat. That's a bigger advantage than most people give credit. You have a built in sense called propriaception that gives you an automatic ability to point fairly precisely with your index finger, thumb, whole arm, etc. (among other attributes) So a flat surface in alignment with both the bore and either  the bone in your palm which goes to your index finger or to your thumbs tends to give you an automatic reflexive aim that is often truer than diligent aim. When you over think things, you are probably going to do worse than your reflex aim. Their beavertail and flat contours make a very repeatable grip, lined up with your hand bones easy and consistent. M&P has very comfortable contoured grip, but they don't have the same sense of having your hands in the exact same place until you learn to find a couple points for digits on each hand to feel for. (I prefer slim grips on a 1911, to the classic oval section for these reasons.)

The best gun is like the best pair of shoes. The one that fits you and your specific purpose, not the one that fits me. Also you can get used to a different pair, but it will feel weird for a while.

• Like 3

Spartacus was right too. His posted while I was typing.

It's kind of weird, but getting good with one pistol can mess you up for others.

I used to be pretty decent (for me anyway) with my PT99, but the last few years have been adequate at best. Simultaneously, I can effortlessly make hits with my .22 pistol, my friend's .380, my brother's .357...  I used to suck with revolvers. Now I seem to shoot DA/SA revolvers better than the semis. In a year or two it could be the opposite. On paper, and by feel, my cousin's FN 5-7 should be perfect for me, but I always suck with it. Shooting is constantly adjusting and training your reflexes in movement and recognition of vision patterns, etc. It takes work to keep up, and it is as easy to train in bad habits as it is to train in good. Even the professional shooters are constantly changing their techniques to overcome new weaknesses they are developing.

• Like 2

The price of the gun is just the beginning. You have to factor in mags and holster and ammo and ammo and ammo.

A 45 is great. I have several. Love that cartridge.

But... A 9 makes way more financial sense on a budget.

The best value in handguns now is the Canik TP9.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

I am factoring in mags and ammo, I mean I am thinking of having to defend myself with this so a few extra mags would be useful and I do like shooting and know my accuracy could use a lot of polishing so ammo is a must as well. 

IMG_0098.jpg

'Frankenstien' 1911 retired (Mid-80s vintage)racegun & EAA Witness. I can shoot the Witness with equal accuracy & better comfort (rheumatoid arthritis sucks...) or the 1911 rather faster.

Darth is on the money about 9mm. With good defensive loads, 9mm & 45 ACP will perform pretty much the same. 

9mm practice ammo [currently] is easier to find & cheaper than 45. This allows more practice with the same budget. 

Competence & shot placement beat caliber.

• Like 3

Just picked up a Glock 41 today. It feels very un-Glock like in hand. I will update with a range report as soon as I get the time. Pics for reference:

post-37530-0-35330600-1431483523_thumb.jpg

post-37530-0-76625000-1431483566_thumb.jpg

Compared to the Kimber Target II Custom

post-37530-0-05296600-1431483652_thumb.jpg

Slide and frame width compared to the G19 9mm.

I have a Charles Daly 1911A1 I traded a Mosin Nagant and 2K of ammo for  a few years ago.  After I broke it in, it's a solid shooter, and accurate if i do my part.

I have shot Xd, 145, and Glopck pistols.  I still reach for my 1911.  It just fits my hand like a glove.

I have a Charles Daly 1911A1 I traded a Mosin Nagant and 2K of ammo for  a few years ago.  After I broke it in, it's a solid shooter, and accurate if i do my part.

I have shot Xd, 145, and Glopck pistols.  I still reach for my 1911.  It just fits my hand like a glove.

I got a CD Superior 1911 about 20 years ago.  Damn thing was a jamomatic.  I put a McCormick extractor in it and got some McCormick mags and it's been 100% ever since.  I used it as my bowling pin gun for years.  I don't take it out much any more.

My first 1911 was a Norinco.  100% reliable but threw a shotgun pattern at 15yds.  I had it converted to 460 Rowland thinking the new barrel and bushing would tighten it up.  Still shot 4" at 15yds.  Sold it.

Nice acquisition there Spacehog.

That G41 looks huge, maybe because the 1911 is in the background in your pic.

Though I watched Hickok45's review and he says it's the same size as the 5" 1911.

Longer and thinner/lighter slide than the G21. Better sight radius, but a hair more recoil.

Seems like a good trade off to me over the G21.

I can see where that may work well as an open carry or duty gun.

Edited by Spartacus

Sar k2. Cz 97 clone double stack 14rds? Solid.

As far as precision on target goes, how's your stance and grip? Feet square to target, lean in to counter recoil and grip that gun hard as heck!

But ER docs can't see diff tween a 45,40 or 9m wound, so basically shoot what you good with. First rule have a gun. Preferably 2 or 3 and a knife. Perhaps a canine companion, bright flashlight. Hand grenades? Haha

Or upgrade to real man stopper, 357 mag!

post-28870-0-24031100-1431505950_thumb.jpg

Edited by saltydecimator
  • Like 1