Nice acquisition there Spacehog.

That G41 looks huge, maybe because the 1911 is in the background in your pic.

Though I watched Hickok45's review and he says it's the same size as the 5" 1911.

Longer and thinner/lighter slide than the G21. Better sight radius, but a hair more recoil.

Seems like a good trade off to me over the G21.

I can see where that may work well as an open carry or duty gun.

Part of it is the perspective with the 1911 in the back, but the G41 is indeed huge. I was actually surprised myself when I placed it up next to the Kimber. The grip is longer and the slide itself is as long as the entire 1911.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love my 1911s, but this is my favorite. Now has the official title "Safe Queen". It's the oldest and still is a handful. I've posted this picture before and should take a few new ones to do it justi

My crazy old man walked down the street from the hospital while my mom was in labor. He purchased a 1977 Gold Cup National Match and went back to the hospital to inspect his second son. I passed muste

Hmmm price to good to be true? Possibly.   Two points, we get what pay for. So saving a little longer, while painful is an alternative.   The second would be do not make the purchase unless you

Posted Images

I'm seeing that there isn't a lot of love for Taurus, but I'll throw out there that CDNN Sports has a sale going on the PT 1911 for $399.99, which is what piqued my interest. I kind of figure that's about what it's worth.

ETA: it's now showing out of stock. that didn't take long.

Edited by YOT
  • Like 1

1911 is my favorite but my Hi Point is the one that gets used all the time. It is my Boat gun, ATV gun, truck gun and frog gun. Best $200 I have spent in a long time.

Well, it's good not to have a Hi-Point safe queen. :)

Is this something that comes up a lot? I know bullfrogs are on my state's invasive species kill on sight list, but I never heard of anyone spending any time at it.

As kids we used to gig frogs for the legs. Some say spearing them. Frog legs are delectable, but I haven't done that in YEARS, and I have no idea where my gig pole is.

• Like 1

As kids we used to gig frogs for the legs. Some say spearing them. Frog legs are delectable, but I haven't done that in YEARS, and I have no idea where my gig pole is.

Mmm... Frog legs. Now I am hungry and I know exactly where my flashlight and gig pole are. Unfortunately there are no bullfrogs around just toads.

• Like 1

So Hi-Points are okay-ish guns? Seeing the price of them I thought they'd be awful. 

The carbines are OK. They work well, shoot accurately and have good sights. They are made out of crap, and feel like it, but ultimately they do what they are supposed to. I have a 995 from right when they came out, and it has been a decent, but not lovable gun. The trigger is crummy, yet everyone shoots well with it, and I am do not think I have ever had a jam. Wait, I had one where the stud the bolt handle is screwed into came loose and locked the gun up solid. But no ammo feed/eject related malfunction ever. The cleaning/maintanence system is stupid. you can't do a field strip without removing pieces which could affect zero. Really they don't intend for you to ever do a full strip. You are intended to just brush the bore, spray cleaner into the action and wipe out what you can from the ejection port. I don't shoot it nearly as much as my pistol, so maybe it has had 6-10K through it? Hard to say.Has a surprisingly stinging recoil. It is a short slap. Not a lot of kick, but it can be a little unpleasant. It is a handy size, and I feel confident that I could hand it to anyone and they would be able to understand it and run it competently. Not a bad little defensive or pest control tool.

The pistols, are the same story, but the feel is terrible. They are huge and crude. The triggers are bad, they are  straight blowback, so they have to have a massive slide which slams hard on the backstroke. But they do work, and you can learn to shoot them well. For the money, there are far more appealing options. Basically any pistol with a delayed breach locking mechanism is going to be nicer. IMO better to have any used $200 9mm or 45, than a hipoint pistol new for $200. Say an old ruger P series, a beat up taurus 92.... One of those S&W sigmas even. 

All of them are overly safe, and have no good options for decent mag capacity. 

Ah, because I was kind of intrigued by their 5.7x28mm chambered Uzi knock-off but convinced myself that I'd be better off spending that money on literally anything else I could think of if I ever had the money on hand.

There is a .45acp version too, but I'm a masochist and might as well have everyone tear into me for always gravitating to things that shoot non-standard ammo types. Though .45acp is a very fun cartridge to shoot so if pragmatism took over I wonder if it would make a good "safe bet" in case my more... eccentric purchase choices do in fact come back to bite me.

I live in ohio one county away from the hi point headquarters, the pistols suck major salty balls, for every reason gunfun mentioned. But the carbines are a cheap fun gun imho I have handed my 9mm carbine to more then a few gun newbies and they hit the gong more times then not. If not for the deal I got for my 9mm colt sporter ar I'd still have the highpoint

Ah, because I was kind of intrigued by their 5.7x28mm chambered Uzi knock-off ......

Hi-Point does not make a 5.7, and I doubt they ever will. Read the bottom line of the link you posted from the HPFF. The guy was making a suggestion to HP and the mods kept locking the thread because it made too much chaos with the fudds over there. HP did just introduce a .380 carbine. I guess that will fill a very small niche. Even that is not listed on their site, yet. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com

I bought a 995TS a few years ago for the purpose of fun and testing the life of it. At around the 4000 round mark it had to go back to the factory because the hardened rails embedded in the ZAMAK breech bolt had crumbled an it wouldn't feed anymore. I also went through several firing pins because they will bend, creating an unsafe, full-auto, slam fire gun. Firing pins are free from the factory and easy enough to change.  The best thing about HP is their lifetime warranty. After getting it back fully refurbished, including a new breech bolt, I shot it a couple thousand more rounds and tired of it. I think the second owner has sold it also.

I believe, from my testing that the HP carbines are good guns for the money, geared for plinkers and the occasional shooter. I would not ever rely on one as a go-to SD or HD gun. While plenty accurate, the magazines have many feed lip issues that manifest if handled (dropped) as one would do in speed changing the mags. The ears bend very easily and will prevent proper bullet chambering. And, while ZAMAK is cheap and sturdy it wears faster than steel.

@  Gunfun, if you have shot it >6000 rounds, it's very due for a thorough inspection.

• Like 1

Ah, because I was kind of intrigued by their 5.7x28mm chambered Uzi knock-off

Assuming you mean the Masterpiece Arms 5.7 pistol.

Edited by Darth Saigus

So Hi-Points are okay-ish guns? Seeing the price of them I thought they'd be awful. 

I hate them, and feel they are shit. Put the money towards a better, used gun that wont look like ass, and feel like it in your hand. haha.gif

• Like 1

The GF picked up a Sig Sauer P220 Elite... Haven't played with it yet.

The Nitron coating and Rosewood grips make it visually appealing. 

Sitting next to her S&W it's like an Armani suit compared to a set of BDU's.

• Like 2

MPA makes a closed-bolt MAC copy, not an Uzi copy.

The MAC is NOT an accurate handgun, but it wasn't designed to be. It was originally designed as a machine pistol, and later neutered into a range toy.

Ah, not a good choice then since it would be fun to shoot an inaccurate pistol nor would such be great for self-defense. Thank you for all the knowledge. 

I just took possession of a Tanfoglio/Witness Stock 3 in 45acp. I haven't fired it yet but hot damn does it feel good! Easily attainable high ride grip, smooth and light single action trigger, typical heavy and long double action pull, half cock position. Heavy all blued steel construction with checkered walnut grips.

In some ways, these all steel guns make me wonder why I even own poly framed pistols.

• Like 2

Might still show if they know how to make a gun? [wishful thinking]

I guess so. They (Tanfoglio/EAA) don't really have a bad reputation to begin with. Lots of bang for the buck and a relatively solid reliability record. Arguably of course

• Like 1