that may be one of the most stupid police shoots in the history of man, damn glad someone got it on video, makes it damn hard to come up with some BS story about it happening some other way. that cop screwed up big time to the point of it was murder or at the very least manslaughter.

I just watched the video, that's fucked up. I didn't see the supposed struggle that took place, but that lazy bastard didn't even attempt to give chase when the dude ran, he just gunned him down. String the motherfucker up.

• Like 2

This scumbag has been charged with murder. If he isn't convicted there is no justice in this country. Leave race out of it. This shit needs to stop. The government wants to disarm true patriots while it's trigger happy Gestapo run free gunning people down. Thankfully this video clearly shows that it was murder, or he likely would not have been indicted.

• Like 1

He'll be tried and most assuredly found guilty. The interesting part will be when he is given the death sentence. Which of the many liberal and left Org's will fight for his life?

Unless he pleas out for life and no trial?

Hey YOT how would you like trying to keep this one alive in the pen?

• Like 1

Seriously, what do you do if you find yourself in a situation like this??? Shoot back? be a cop killer?

I think the point is don't get in this situation to begin with.

No doubt it was a bad shoot and the cop should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But...

The perp was driving a big black mercedes with chrome rims and had a warrant for lack of support.

Add to that resisting arrest and you give a rogue cop and excuse to be an asshole.

I hate to say it but under those circumstances the best bet is to follow orders and let the judge work it out.

• Like 5

I don't think anyone ever wants to get into a situation with the police, but sometimes it appears the police want to get into a situation with you. When I saw this video I couldn't help but think of my brother's pull over from a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

I can think of damn few reasons I would shoot at someone with their back to me running away, traffic violations or a warrant for unpaid child support aren't on the short list.

Completely agree Doc. but when dealing with someone who is sanctioned by the state to use deadly force the best bet is to comply and fight it out in a courtroom.

• Like 1

I can think of damn few reasons I would shoot at someone with their back to me running away, traffic violations or a warrant for unpaid child support aren't on the short list.

There are times that shooting the fleeing perp would be in order or even required for the safety of others.

To me this falls very short of those circumstances .

Bad cops and bad deeds of cops only get addressed in a court of law

Always follow the orders given by police, right or wrong, take the officer to task in court if he or she is out of bounds.

And contrary to what people want you to think......No Person hates bad cops more than good cops do.

• Like 8

Bad shoot is bad enough, but then...

Alter the crime scene, move evidence in order to plant evidence to match false statements.

Perjure self numerous times, by lying to dispatch about how the stop & shoot went down, and lie again to supervisors during investigation.

Falsify numerous reports and so much more.

Anybody think this guy was a good cop suddenly caught in a bad situation and panicked?

I'm betting he was already the worse type of scum there is.

• Like 3

To say don't run, or just obey, ...essentially says to me they are justified to shoot you if you flee. I do not agree with that for anything that is non-violent crime and unarmed. The only reason I can see shooting someone fleeing is if they are a danger to society, armed, and active crime in progress or similar (murderer/rapist/armed mugger trying to escape). 

People in the world have a fight or filght instinct and it can happen in any given situation to anyone, anytime. There are several examples of 'high speed chases' where an otherwise upstanding citizen flee over a simple ticket. Seen reports/reasons like that when LA chase videos were all the craze. Some simply panic.

I'm all for cooperating and dealing with it in court if an officer is in the wrong. Thats what the courts are for. Not the point I'm making, which is that non-threats should not be shot as a means of apprehension. Its one thing if someone is fleeing with knife in hand (threat to others/society/self) and running away because officer drew on him "in case he might be armed" and the person panics.

• Like 1

Honest question.

If good cops hate bad ones as much as say a citizen who has run afoul of them then why does it take a video of a murder to break the ranks?

Lets remember this guy had done things previous to this event that pretty well IDed him as not worthy of the oath.

Yet he was being covered until the video showed up and what 8 shots in the back wasn't a dead give away?

It really calls into question the entire premise.

I truly wish this wasn't getting more common and so far the only answer seems to be make the videos illegal.  

Edit:

As for obeying instructions a person must have a reasonable expectation he isn't going to end up dead or locked away forever on bogus charges anyway. That's pretty hard to settle in court.

Tough position to be in on both ends lately.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 1

Rhodes, it's a good question and deserves a fair and honest answer so let me give it a shot. Bad cops are few and far between, but they do exist obviously and most "good" cops know who they are. Most "bad" cops just simply suck at what they so. They are lazy and really do not know the law very well and spend most of their day trying not to do anything at all. Good cops don't like them because they don't carry their load.

Even more rare are the "bad" cops that are somewhat dangerous. They border line go too far on use of force situations and really don't know when to turn it off following an arrest of a resisting suspect or something like that. These are the most disliked because they get "good" cops in trouble and cause problems in the department. Good cops will stop them and pull then off a suspect when they are out of control. They may even get reported for excessive use of force or unprofessional conduct. These are the cops that everyone talks about "going postal" one day.

The problem is the administration. It is VERY hard to get an officer who is out of training and off probation fired. We have had 2 cops in 20 years in my department who were borderline cops, and they eventually took something too far, hurt someone unnecessarily and got fired. But I work in an area where pay is very good, and being a police officer is very competitive. Meaning it is tough to get hired because so many people apply. The administration is so separated from what's going on in the street that they often don't realize their is a problem. Sometimes the problem comes to light much too late.

In this SC case I read somewhere that this officer had some other issues involving physical violence or anger. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, that's a huge red flag. This is not the job to have with an anger problem. We usually see that during training and probation phase, and we wash out quite a few people during that time for that very reason.

Sorry if I got long winded, but crap like this makes me angry because it really hurts our profession. 99 percent of cops are decent hard working people who just want to do their job, support their family and raise their kids. We are put in really crap situations and have to use sound judgement before applying any type of force. That obviously did not happen in this case and the office made a very poor decision to use deadly force in a non deadly force encounter.

Edited by Semper299
  • Like 5

And yes, the suspect should have complied. But, we get in physical fights all the time when trying to arrest someone. I had someone bite my taster wires in half the other day while he was being tased. That was damn impressive! But that didn't mean it became a deadly force encounter. We went back to wrestling and i eventually got control. He was not trying to hurt me but just trying to not go to jail. That is a huge difference. If someone is trying to take my gun or is beating me into unconsciousness, then deadly force may be justified, especially if that is they only way to stop the threat.

But just trying to get away? Chase and tackle or just get him another day. He knew who was after all. I've chased people much younger than me for as long as I could, then just had to accept I was not catching them today. Went to their house and waited on them to run home.

[quote name="Semper299" post="1018521"

Edited by Semper299
  • Like 1

Seriously, what do you do if you find yourself in a situation like this??? Shoot back? be a cop killer?

If you mean if you were witness to an officer shooting or about to shoot someone who was unarmed and not an immediate threat, from a legal standpoint it may be justified to use deadly physical force against the officer. This is only according to my understanding of nys penal law article 35 "Defense of Justification". I've read that and am just assuming other states or maybe the Fed has similarly written law? Of course, police are above the law in many cases. So a jury full of sheep

will convict you anyway.

Disclaimer: I am not advising the shooting of police officers.

If you mean if you were witness to an officer shooting or about to shoot someone who was unarmed and not an immediate threat, from a legal standpoint it may be justified to use deadly physical force against the officer. This is only according to my understanding of nys penal law article 35 "Defense of Justification". I've read that and am just assuming other states or maybe the Fed has similarly written law? Of course, police are above the law in many cases. So a jury full of sheep

will convict you anyway.

here we go again

will convict you anyway.

here we go again
No I'm not going 'there' I'm just saying that even if you're justified, you're going to have a damn hard time proving it in court. With everything that's been happening, I think it's foolish to put too much faith in the legal system.

Bad cops and bad deeds of cops only get addressed in a court of law

Always follow the orders given by police, right or wrong, take the officer to task in court if he or she is out of bounds.

And contrary to what people want you to think......No Person hates bad cops more than good cops do.

Not sure that's the case, there are some people who are more than willing to do something about cops in general, good or bad. That far succeeds your statment.

Further carried, Police treat laws as gospel until tried in court, and if you think our judicial system isn't flawed at this point your not paying attention. I've had this argument with more than a few in a state where laws have changed and I call some of them friend or family. Not all see my point of the multitude of laws and them being unable to enforce all and picking and choosing their battles, despite my having better knowledge of gun laws than them.

As per the original video, Its not looking good for the cops involved.

• Like 1