Rhodes, it's a good question and deserves a fair and honest answer so let me give it a shot. Bad cops are few and far between, but they do exist obviously and most "good" cops know who they are. Most "bad" cops just simply suck at what they so. They are lazy and really do not know the law very well and spend most of their day trying not to do anything at all. Good cops don't like them because they don't carry their load.

Even more rare are the "bad" cops that are somewhat dangerous. They border line go too far on use of force situations and really don't know when to turn it off following an arrest of a resisting suspect or something like that. These are the most disliked because they get "good" cops in trouble and cause problems in the department. Good cops will stop them and pull then off a suspect when they are out of control. They may even get reported for excessive use of force or unprofessional conduct. These are the cops that everyone talks about "going postal" one day.

The problem is the administration. It is VERY hard to get an officer who is out of training and off probation fired. We have had 2 cops in 20 years in my department who were borderline cops, and they eventually took something too far, hurt someone unnecessarily and got fired. But I work in an area where pay is very good, and being a police officer is very competitive. Meaning it is tough to get hired because so many people apply. The administration is so separated from what's going on in the street that they often don't realize their is a problem. Sometimes the problem comes to light much too late.

In this SC case I read somewhere that this officer had some other issues involving physical violence or anger. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, that's a huge red flag. This is not the job to have with an anger problem. We usually see that during training and probation phase, and we wash out quite a few people during that time for that very reason.

Sorry if I got long winded, but crap like this makes me angry because it really hurts our profession. 99 percent of cops are decent hard working people who just want to do their job, support their family and raise their kids. We are put in really crap situations and have to use sound judgement before applying any type of force. That obviously did not happen in this case and the office made a very poor decision to use deadly force in a non deadly force encounter.

^^^ gotta give this more than a like. I love where your coming from, but there are times corruption breeds deeper than that.

Its happened practically in my backyard. The FBI had to intervene.(and possibly the only reason they did was a former mayor being investigated)  http://masscops.com/threads/fbi-raids-houses-of-oswego-police-chief.7897/

Are they rioting and lighting shit on fire? Did Sharpton and Jackson show up yet?

That was an execution. Will the communist union protect him on this one? Will he keep his pension?

Jackson and Sharpton as far as I know havent shown up. First off it's SC and second they have nothing to protest he has been charged with murder and will be convicted...The officer involved has been fired and lost all benefits, the dept did allow his wife to keep her benifits for the rest of the year b/c she is 8 months pregnant. I havent heard anything about pensions yet. I dont think the uinion will protect him...maybe if there wasnt video they might try...but not now.

• Like 3

No matter how you look at this, its a damn shame.  Shame the man lost his life and shameful what the LEO did to all LEO's across the country.  There are bad seeds everywhere.  In the Marines, we use to say the '10%', and it only took 1 bad Marine to undo what a 100 good Marines did.  Same same. 

Why did he run?  That is what I want to know. 

• Like 3

Cause he is a lowlife.

Less than honorable discharge from USCG for drugs.

Warrants for failure to pay child support.

Did not want to go to jail.

No respect for himself, family or law.

• Like 1

Two scumbags got into an altercation.

One just happened to have a badge and weapons, and sometimes gives lip service to his duty if it suits his needs. The other did not want to comply, did not want to ho to jail and was willing to do anything to get away.

He took the cop's taser, he would have taken his gun if he could've and likely used it.

One POS shot another, then continued to be a POS.

Now one is dead and the other deserves to die too.

• Like 2

Two scumbags got into an altercation.

One just happened to have a badge and weapons, and sometimes gives lip service to his duty if it suits his needs. The other did not want to comply, did not want to ho to jail and was willing to do anything to get away.

He took the cop's taser, he would have taken his gun if he could've and likely used it.

One POS shot another, then continued to be a POS.

Now one is dead and the other deserves to die too.

Did he take the taser or get tasered? I was watching the coverage if this at the gym last night while I was on the treadmill and one of the stations said he got tasered, and then the cop reported that he took his taser. But to honest I was reading through the closed caption system and half the words are usually wrong. Haven't had a chance to look it up online yet

Are they rioting and lighting shit on fire? Did Sharpton and Jackson show up yet?

That was an execution. Will the communist union protect him on this one? Will he keep his pension?

Jackson and Sharpton as far as I know havent shown up. First off it's SC and second they have nothing to protest he has been charged with murder and will be convicted...The officer involved has been fired and lost all benefits, the dept did allow his wife to keep her benifits for the rest of the year b/c she is 8 months pregnant. I havent heard anything about pensions yet. I dont think the uinion will protect him...maybe if there wasnt video they might try...but not now.

Jackson and sharpton will definetly go. Just because justice is being served here doesn't mean they won't use this to fan the flames of every other shooting there wasn't a video on

The video I saw shows the former officer throwing what looks like it could definitely be a taser on the ground next the guy when he walks up, after shooting him. I'd hate to imply that he was planting evidence, but I knew he would end up saying the guy had the taser. Seriously though, go find that video, I'm surprised they didn't sprinkle crack on the guy.

• Like 1

Rhodes, it's a good question and deserves a fair and honest answer so let me give it a shot. Bad cops are few and far between, but they do exist obviously and most "good" cops know who they are. Most "bad" cops just simply suck at what they so. They are lazy and really do not know the law very well and spend most of their day trying not to do anything at all. Good cops don't like them because they don't carry their load.

Even more rare are the "bad" cops that are somewhat dangerous. They border line go too far on use of force situations and really don't know when to turn it off following an arrest of a resisting suspect or something like that. These are the most disliked because they get "good" cops in trouble and cause problems in the department. Good cops will stop them and pull then off a suspect when they are out of control. They may even get reported for excessive use of force or unprofessional conduct. These are the cops that everyone talks about "going postal" one day.

The problem is the administration. It is VERY hard to get an officer who is out of training and off probation fired. We have had 2 cops in 20 years in my department who were borderline cops, and they eventually took something too far, hurt someone unnecessarily and got fired. But I work in an area where pay is very good, and being a police officer is very competitive. Meaning it is tough to get hired because so many people apply. The administration is so separated from what's going on in the street that they often don't realize their is a problem. Sometimes the problem comes to light much too late.

In this SC case I read somewhere that this officer had some other issues involving physical violence or anger. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, that's a huge red flag. This is not the job to have with an anger problem. We usually see that during training and probation phase, and we wash out quite a few people during that time for that very reason.

Sorry if I got long winded, but crap like this makes me angry because it really hurts our profession. 99 percent of cops are decent hard working people who just want to do their job, support their family and raise their kids. We are put in really crap situations and have to use sound judgement before applying any type of force. That obviously did not happen in this case and the office made a very poor decision to use deadly force in a non deadly force encounter.

Dont mind long winded, didnt take 30 seconds to read, thanks for a thoughtful reply.

I hope you are right but frankly I have to go with history and it plainly shows good people will do some fairly demonic things when conditions reach a point where the boss or mob (uniformed or otherwise) says do it or else. Yeah I figure between the unions and the bureaucrats things are fairly fucked.

I know you just plucked 99% out the air and your case/location that may even be close but at some point ya gotta deal with the 1%. Around the country in a growing number of places you, good guys, could be just as outnumbered by the tactical steroid and doughnut squad. 

I do not envy your position and will just leave that there.

We can hate it, as that isnt what you signed up to do and its easy to find oneself at the wrong end of this. But damnit there isnt any other choice given what we already know.

Tough time to be a good guy in more ways than one.

God help ya

On the video I saw, I did see coiled taser wire by the cop fall to the ground as the guy ran before shots were fired.  If the guy did grab the taser, he discharged it.  That would make any cop go for his gun. 

After seeing the taser wire fall, I'm not so sure murder applies.  Manslaughter maybe, but not murder.