Whats the closest to scratch built you guys have done? The idea of making something out of more raw material seems appealing to me.

This guys videos have become addicting to me lately due to the simple tool and skillset required. Hell Most of what he uses I either have or have something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5RaqGfLe2I

Love to hear from the peanut crowd on this one, so chime in!

• Like 1

I made a .22 pen gun while abroad. Worked good twice and then it all went down hill. Other than that, I have never made a firearm from scratch. The flare launchers posted above look pretty fun!

Those look more like single shot scatter guns. The thing with this type of weapon is the reloading time. It's practical to have several simple, single use, zip guns strategically place. For a repeater, the easiest is a pipe that fits the cartridge and slides inside another pipe with a screw threaded through the cap as a firing pin. Think slam-fire. No stock or sights needed. I've see zip pistols made out of wood, radio antenna sections, and rubber bands to actuate the plunger/firing pin, too.

• Like 1

Yep made a few spud guns as a teen

One of the bigger ones we made, we determined it would make it to the other side of a small lake by firing from an elevated spot on a trail. There was a housing development there. you figure out the rest.

not proud of some of the stuff I did in those days, I would whoop my son's ass if he did some of the things I did.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

I did spud guns plus a pieces of foam as a gas seal to shoot some ~2" dia rocks. they went a lot further than the taters. The recoil impulse was fun too. There is a company which sells lathe rifled pipe if you want to do a better potato gun.

Soon as we get resettled IF we ever sell this millstone of a house I will have a metal shop and those types of projects will be enjoyed god willing and the creek dont rise. Collecting the info and mapping things out now, leaning more towards a Sten type. 

Use some thing with common mags, ammo and cheap barrells. Probably want to start low pressure first too. Mauybe 45 ACP and grease gun mas as a start?

• Like 1

Use some thing with common mags, ammo and cheap barrells. Probably want to start low pressure first too. Mauybe 45 ACP and grease gun mas as a start?

Have the plans put away but from memory 9mm uzi mags semi. Can make the mags also but heh those used to be fairly cheap and common. 45 aint bad at all, lower pressure IIRC. Wont be any rifling on the first one since I doubt it will be more than a learning project. Hell if the damned thing works its a success. 

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 1

Why not use a blank or surplus barrel? If you are going to put in the work, may as well make something good. And yes, that's why I said 45. It is lower pressure than 9mm, by a fair amount. 

Hit up "smartbomb" here, or ginsboy 223on youtube. They've done a lot of interesting 1 of a kind guns from near scratch.

• Like 1

Made several .22 zip guns from car antennas and old TV tuners. Did a couple match lock type muskets from pipe and home made black powder. Gave that stuff up when I turned 14 and got a full time job.

The case for not using any ready made firearm parts in self made firearm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ71Ujs3oY0

Looking back at my notes from several years ago when the idea first gained my interest that is exactly what I had written.

Still pumped on the idea more so now than ever, to take a pile of scrap and turn it into a working firearm damn near causes wood.

Yeah Im weird so what else is new.

• Like 1

His thinking at 2:30 on is pretty confused. Of course he designed a firearm. That's only a problem if he re-designed something legal into something illegal. He designed a pistol which cannot be arguably construed as anything else. No problem.

"His thinking at 2:30 on is pretty confused"

Yeah but so is the law and and it's interpretations... heh who aint confused.

Pretty sure that's what BATFE was aiming to create. 

Maybe by the time this happens things will be more sorted out I dont mind either way.

My point is that nothing that guy said was any argument against using existing parts. If I were building any firearm from scratch, i'd still use a surplus or blank barrel and get one of the magwell kits they make for it. Maybe a soumi magwell.

First year in junior high my first access to a metal lathe  13 years old,

made cap and ball Philadelphia derringers from pictures in a firearms history book.

.375 bore shot ball bearings with black powder used greenie stickum caps as the cap.

Made bunches of cannons from .250 bore to one inch bore.

high school metal shop I made more motorcycle parts than gun parts.

But had first access to a mill so I built a couple bolt action 22 cal smooth bore single shot pistols, pretty simple but functional

years later I built a mac 10 from stainless steel, copied an original used factory barrel and bolt.

now With CNC equipment and an 07 manufacturing licence  I manufacture AR15s and TAC-12 shotguns

• Like 5

I built this from a salvaged Tantal receiver, Polish, Bulgarian, Russian, U.S., HK, and fabricated parts and the damn thing shoots really well. I also did a psudo spud/tennis ball cannon when I was younger that used Passload nail gun fuel-the stuff really has some kick behind it and doesn't gum things up like hairspray.  I watched a program that featured 1911 style 45's being fabricated in shacks on some island not too long ago and was shocked at the final product these guys were able to produce with fairly primitive hand tools. Where there's a will there's a way....

post-1866-0-26389200-1428781132_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

My point is that nothing that guy said was any argument against using existing parts. If I were building any firearm from scratch, i'd still use a surplus or blank barrel and get one of the magwell kits they make for it. Maybe a soumi magwell.

Yeah I see what you mean, think he was expressing some concern that the BATFE plays very dirty and though he wants to publish what he does but gets that creepy feeling thinking it could land him in jail. In these times I wouldnt presume to tell him otherwise.

Since its not something I plan to make for necessity, under current conditions, it just seemed like an enjoyable skill set I might be able to pass on if nothing else.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • 6 months later...

But it's a primary source of illegal guns on the street. The article says so.

• Like 2

Guys Let's not forget the genious works of Boris, who is an awesome dude and even a member here. (Though he mostly hangs out on some NE shooter's forum.)

In which he made all bottles over a certain size illegal post ban hi-caps in MA....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/277900-MUST-READ-Hi-cap-mags-in-every-recycle-bin-We-are-all-felons-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I built this from a salvaged Tantal receiver, Polish, Bulgarian, Russian, U.S., HK, and fabricated parts and the damn thing shoots really well. I also did a psudo spud/tennis ball cannon when I was younger that used Passload nail gun fuel-the stuff really has some kick behind it and doesn't gum things up like hairspray.  I watched a program that featured 1911 style 45's being fabricated in shacks on some island not too long ago and was shocked at the final product these guys were able to produce with fairly primitive hand tools. Where there's a will there's a way....

what's the story on the extra front rivet?

The receiver was originally cut for a 2XTM 9mm build. I Tig welded a repair section in and just for shits n grins, installed a stiffener plate. The stiffener plate is spot welded to the receiver in several locations, but I thought "what the hell" and dropped the two end rivits in just for franken gun looks.

• Like 2