Saiga 12 Bolt Carrier Interchangeability

Hi, I was looking to purchase one of your R&R Saiga 12 bolt carriers and just had a few questions:

1. Is it a drop in replacement for the factory carrier?

2. It shouldn't affect headspacing, right?

3. All the dimensions of the gas piston rod will be the same as factory? Only on special orders will they differ from the factory length rod, correct?

4. Are the gas piston's pinned?

Thanks!

-Forsaken

Edited by forsaken352

Hi, I was looking to purchase one of your R&R Saiga 12 bolt carriers and just had a few questions:

1. Is it a drop in replacement for the factory carrier?

2. It shouldn't affect headspacing, right?

3. All the dimensions of the gas piston rod will be the same as factory? Only on special orders will they differ from the factory length rod, correct?

4. Are the gas piston's pinned?

Thanks!

-Forsaken

1. The R&R bolt carriers are a drop in replacement unless you choose the left side charging handle option, in which case you will need to cut the dust cover to fit.

2. It will not effect head space.

3. Rod will be the same length as factory unless you request a different length.

4. The rod fits tightly in the bolt carrier and is not pinned.

Robert has some factory Saiga bolt carriers in stock which are slightly cheaper than the R&R version.

Doug

• Like 1

Thank you for the answers. I do, however, have just a couple of more questions.

I tried ordering a bolt carrier from R&R's website recently, and there is a "checkout" page that includes name, address, city, country, postal code, etc., as well as a "purchase" button, but there is nowhere that I have found to put any card details. Are the orders by phone only?

And the other question I have is, since the carrier is not pinned, would it not be susceptible to the weaknesses of the factory carrier? The reason I'm looking for a new bolt carrier is so that I have something to use (and will have a backup) until I send my factory carrier to have it pinned, welded, etc. due to it having cracked.

Thanks again!

I just answer questions for Robeert on the Internet, not sure exactly how his web commerce setup works. I would call him directly at 503-551-7283.

The factory carriers are subject to cracking for several reasons including the loose fit and the fact that the end of the rod does not bottom out in the threaded portion of the carrier. Robert fits each rod so that the force from the piston is transferred to the carrier at the end of the rod not on the threaded portion which prevents cracking.

Doug

• Like 4