Turkey loads to hot?

Went to the range yesterday to pattern my gun for turkey season( opens Monday). I was shooting 3 inch 1 7/8 5shot. The fist shot kicked like a mule. But cycled fine. Couldn't find the spent shell. The next shot the bolt got stuck back momentarily and I saw where the shell went... At least 8 ft away.

Yes I'm on setting 1 with factory plug piston and spring. Should I old off on trying to take this gun out?

Not enough info. How old is the gun? What configuration? How many rounds through it? 

Turkey loads are NOT to hot for the gun on setting one with the factory parts. 

post-23857-0-48778500-1428854613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bought gun new right before the ban and converted it myself. It's had prolly 300 low brass thru it. And 2 boxes of 00 no problems at all other than trying winchester universal

I have a recoil buffer maybe I should tho that in there. But I do know a full choke is not nearly enough for anything ove 30 yards

Bought gun new right before the ban and converted it myself. It's had prolly 300 low brass thru it. And 2 boxes of 00 no problems at all other than trying winchester universal

I have a recoil buffer maybe I should tho that in there. But I do know a full choke is not nearly enough for anything ove 30 yards

I don't think a buffer is necessary, and don't recommend it.  You were shooting a full power load. It's going to kick. Get a recoil pad and hold it like you mean it. I have the poly-choke on my gun, which has an extra-full setting. It will do 40+yards with turkey loads. Season opens May 1st here. I can't wait.

• Like 1

This is where having a multi stage plug makes the most sense. Your gun ought to run them fine, but you could make the cycling a bit smoother.

Oh and the buffer isn't a bad idea. Just test it to make sure you aren't rebounding off the buffer with those loads and outrunning the magazine.