Feedback Score: 1 reviews, 100%

m92 pap why?

I have always been an AK fan. They have come and gone

I settled for the vepr308 which I enjoy tremendously. I have been itching for another 7.62 x 39. Started looking at the M92 PAP. 

My question Is why. Once you put the brace and a flash hider it is almost as long as standard Ak ands weighs about the same. You also lose the longer sight picture with our on sight. The nominal 200 fps loss is OK with me.

So other than cool factor what is the advantage over a standard barrel length Ak with a folding stock?

Why? Because every one that gets purchased makes liberals cry a little harder.

It also offers a certain level of modularity. Want ak firepower as compact as possible? Add a sling plate under the pistol grip and run a sling with it to stabilize. Want the arm brace? No problemo. Want an sbr? File your form one and enjoy it as a pistol while you wait. Want to add a real stock but live in a non sbr friendly state? Spot weld a faux suppressor to bring the legal length up to 16in and have at it. Simply put there's alot of stuff you can do to one with a myriad of configurations as well. 

Edited by LuPiN8oR
  • Like 3

Yes it is almost as long as a standard AK, which illustrates perfectly why the SBR laws are ridiculous. If I put an extended booster on the muzzle and permanently attach it, suddenly it becomes less deadly as a rifle, and I'm "allowed" to attach a stock to it without playing the tax stamp game?  Yet, if concealability is the danger factor, which many people claim SBRs are all about, I can easily fit it in a laptop case in pistol form with no additional legal loopholes to jump through.

If you pay the fee to SBR it, that is all rendered moot.. It has excellent handling characteristics for an AK in SBR form.

There are a couple benefits over a standard AKM.. One, the PAP barrel is quite a bit thicker than the lighter AKM barrel or even the thicker AK-47 profile barrel found on the PAP/NPAP. Being shorter and thicker overall makes the barrel very rigid, and as a result the M92 is very accurate/precise for a 7.62x39 firearm of its size and barrel length.

The hinge-mounted dust cover provides a great mounting base for small optics once you install a rail section on the hinge assembly. The optic maintains its zero when opening/closing the dust cover.

Above all else it's a factory Krinkov-style carbine, something that was not available at all for many years, or only available at a very high price point through Arsenal. For a long time the only way to get a Yugo Krink style carbine was to get a parts kit and build one yourself, and barrels were not easy to come by for quite some time.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

I myself have been throwing around the idea of getting an M92 PAP but just have not gotten to it yet (too many other gun projects tying up $$$$$$).

I do not want to thread-jack this post and hope the OP finds some use in this question too but to expand on what he asked I will ask..........

Why the M92 PAP over the M85 PAP (AR magwell version), or vice-versa (besides the obvious, or maybe nothing is obvious?).

-bp

ok i have been getting tons of info on another forum from a bunch of Pap guys.  i am sold.  one is on the way.  now for testing and desired mods.  Besides it will make the perfect companion to my vepr 308.   the journey continues.   You are not hi-jacking at all.  all questions shoud be welcome.

• Like 1

Why the M92 PAP over the M85 PAP (AR magwell version), or vice-versa (besides the obvious, or maybe nothing is obvious?).

-bp

The m92 is chambered in 7.62x39 and takes regular ak mags. The m85 is chambered in 223/5.56 and comes in 2 versions, one with the ar magwell that takes ar mags and one that takes 223 ak mags.

I myself have been throwing around the idea of getting an M92 PAP but just have not gotten to it yet (too many other gun projects tying up $$$$$$).

I do not want to thread-jack this post and hope the OP finds some use in this question too but to expand on what he asked I will ask..........

-bp

There are times I wish I had bought the M85NP instead (or in addition to) but for me it came down to which cartridge would retain most of its full-length barrel performance out of the short barrel. The winner is 7.62x39. I have also seen some reports of gas issues with the M85 here and there as the dwell time with high-velocity .223 is so short that the gas system is more sensitive to over/under gas issues, but I have also noticed that a lot of people don't install expansion chamber muzzle devices on these pistols.. They were really designed to work with the bell type booster, or something which provides a similar effect such as the 4-piece cone flash hider. Without them the gas system is not as reliable, but this seems to be less of an issue for 7.62x39 M92 as well..

When it comes to Yugo 5.56 rifles I was more interested in the PAP M21/M90 rifle, which Century was supposed to start importing late 2014, but it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

New_from_Zastava.jpg

Edited by mancat

When it comes to Yugo 5.56 rifles I was more interested in the PAP M21/M90 rifle, which Century was supposed to start importing late 2014, but it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

New_from_Zastava.jpg

Each month that goes by without any additional word from Century on these imports I die a little more inside. I had begun buying additional 30 rnd AR mags awaiting import and it's just depressing that they have moved to production of their own AKs, rather than import of these wet_eyes.gif

Edited by VR6Shooter

Yeah, I am going to stay with side folder and the brace for now. Still qualifies as pistol so one could easily carry in truck or as one person does in back pack. Don't think there would be much that that combo wouldn't be able handle. Plus you can still reach out at practical distance with ease. 100 to150yds.

Well, of the 3 AK pistols I have reworked. Century Micro, IO M214, and PAP m92. I like it, the PAP best, yet it is by far the heaviest built. Done these up for myself, yet use mainly for taking out vets at the VA. Many can't shoot regular long guns. It's all about the smiles. A couple other have done up ARs. It's just fun shooting. Plus pistols can be loaded in vehicle in all jurisdictions in my state.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok! My M92 came in a few days ago. I put the brace with folding stock mount from usmachinegun. I just took it out for a quick spin. Now i see what all the fuss is about. The brace makes it a very soft shooter. this little pistol is way too much fun to shoot. I also put the 4 piece flash hider after seeing comparison video on youtube and rifle dynamics recommendation.

i was only able to get off about 60 rounds but very nice handling pistol. I think i have found my new favorite. Making it SBR is really appealing but i think the idea of being able to CCW in car or backpack is even more appealing. i can't wait to sight it in 100 yards.

Now this is what i think i have been wanting from the AK but didn't realize it.

Very handy!!! glad i listened to the rest you!!!

i am a little bummed with the last round bolt hold open mags i just picked up. they fight a bit stiff and the mag release was super hard to get to release the mags. I took fine file to mag release and they work great now. the problem is when you pop the mags out with another mag the bottom of the mag pops up and hits the lower hand guard leaving a nice dent. Ugh!!! wanted to try not to ding it up so soon.

I see there are .308 Pistols, would those be in any way workable/controllable?

If your goal is to convert money into fireballs and slow bullets, then yes. -- Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy just hosing at the berm and making a lot of noise, this s a good way to get it.

Some people just want absurdity.

Others want a starter kit for an SBR, and genuinely believe that bigger ammo = better.

• Like 2

i am a little bummed with the last round bolt hold open mags i just picked up. they fight a bit stiff and the mag release was super hard to get to release the mags. I took fine file to mag release and they work great now.

Were these by chance the Croatian Bolt Hold Open Magazines many places are now selling new @ about 30-40% less than a used Yugo BHO Mag?  There have been quite a few reports on the net of fitting problems with them and minor filling needed to be done on the magazine itself........not the magazine release on the gun.

-bp

Edited by burntpowder
  • Like 1

burntkpowder.   Thank for the heads up.   Yes they were.  I will say that even the regular non bolt hold open mags and magpul reacted the same.   believe me i took my time and filed several strokes fit and repeat. now all mags work with ease.  I am sure that i haven't changed the profile but 1/16 at most.  Only took enough to get smooth release.  still tight no wobble.  Now that i hear this i am glad that i did.  Thanks.

Now i just need more ammo and magpul mags.  waiting to find some steel reinforced for sale.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw that deal. I wish it would have been around when I was looking. I would say go for it. This is one of the sweetest ak I have. All the positive comments are true. I put a folding stock and sig brace with krink 4 piece flash hider. The folding stock was from usmachinegun.com. Nice add on. The little pistol is Accurate and tons of fun. You won't regret it.

Edited by leadslinger

Careful! These wee beasties can sink their fangs deep into your wallet...

IMG_0052_zps8f521232.jpg

Except for one problem magazine (Thermold 10-round) absolutely reliable with every ammo I've tried. 

• Like 2

Man I am torn here guys.  A place online has both the M92 and M85 (AR magwell) PAPs on sale for $399 each with free shipping.................what to do, what to do!

Get the one that you already have the most mags and ammo for.

nice set up with the optic.  can it co witness the sights?  how hard was it to do ?  any how to thread?

IMG_0052_zps8f521232.jpg

Except for one problem magazine (Thermold 10-round) absolutely reliable with every ammo I've tried. 

Well I slept on this one and pretty much had my mind made up before coming here this morning but what I read only solidified my decision.....

My thinking too was, go with the model in which I by far have the most mags and ammo for.

With that said, I placed my order for an M92 PAP.

Thanks all.

-bp

• Like 1

nice set up with the optic.  can it co witness the sights?  how hard was it to do ?  any how to thread?

IMG_0052_zps8f521232.jpg

Stormwerkz rail & pin, American Defense Mfg QD & Burris FF3 sight.  Dot is about an inch above sight plane. I can't think of any RDS that would mount low enough for co-witness, so I go with QD mounts.  How-to vid @ Stormwerkz:

http://stormwerkz.com/scope-mounts/yugoslavian-m92m85-scope-mount/

Installation was fairly straightforward; snap rail onto dust cover, clamp in place, transfer punch, drill, deburr, locktite & screw together.  

POI shift is minimal, both with opening/closing dustcover & de/re-mounting QD. 

Edited by Hawk451