having my saiga 762 professionally converted and want to finish it off with a great trigger.

there are some new designs out and just wanted to see what peoples experiences were.

i like the idea of a two stage trigger. but all the choices i dont know whats best. been looking at:

1) a custom g2 "polished by whoever ?"

2) texas ak trigger

3) redstar arms

4) geissele ak trigger "release date?"

not spending the money on a tac-con raptor....

thanks for any help.

• Like 1

I've always wanted a flatter AK trigger.  Based on that and positive reviews I'll snag an ALG trigger when I can.

I'm patiently waiting for the ALG trigger and the Magpul Zhukov furniture to hit the market.

• Like 1

another factor is ruggedness and the g2 seems to be indestructible. but my heart is with the two stage. i already have the modified g2 for the bho but i am getting rid of that permanently. so i have to get a new trigger any way.

another factor is ruggedness and the g2 seems to be indestructible. but my heart is with the two stage. i already have the modified g2 for the bho but i am getting rid of that permanently. so i have to get a new trigger any way.

Actually, you dont. You can use a washer as a spacer and retain your current trigger if you like.

Actually, you dont. You can use a washer as a spacer and retain your current trigger if you like.

why didn't i think of that. what.gif ...   thanks,

You won't need a spacer. The modified FCG will work just fine without. That's my personal experience from thousands of rounds through my two Saigas with modified FCG's and no BHO's. Never had a malfunction because of it.

I'll go against the grain of this thread and say that Red Star Arms is the best. G2 is too light and is prone to accidental bumpfire.

Must be isolated incidents. I have had G2's in over 10 different AK's that I've owned over the years and not a single one "accidentally bumpfired" on me or anyone else who shouldered them.

I'll second the Red Star Arms AK trigger.  Through trial and error with several other aftermarket triggers, the Red Star product proved superior, bar none.  Only thing of it is, for most AK platforms it requires a slight modification of (cutting a slot in) the safety/fire selector lever's internal cross bar.  Not a big deal, but it can be somewhat disconcerting since you're modifying an OEM part of the rifle, versus modifying an aftermarket part to fit and work with the rifle (if you know what I mean). 

• Like 1

I'll second the Red Star Arms AK trigger.  Through trial and error with several other aftermarket triggers, the Red Star product proved superior, bar none.  Only thing of it is, for most AK platforms it requires a slight modification of (cutting a slot in) the safety/fire selector lever's internal cross bar.  Not a big deal, but it can be somewhat disconcerting since you're modifying an OEM part of the rifle, versus modifying an aftermarket part to fit and work with the rifle (if you know what I mean). 

I'll third that. Wish I could find such adjustability and quality of manufacturing in FCG's for all of my firearms, especially at that price point.

Two stage? No problem. Single stage? No problem. Long reset? Short reset? It's a beautiful thing.....

Guido in Houston

• Like 1

Done G2's, most common, yet after fixing a over polished (should say ground) internals, of picked up cheap, project weapon with a Red Star, I prefer Red Star. The adjustment made the rework a lot easier to fine tune.

Edited by Ruffian72

If "best" is your parameter, I think I would have to say #3. #1, including by yourself is good, but not as good as #3. They have finer steel and geometry which allows slightly tighter margins of error while being smooth and crisp. The list should also have JARD triggers, and you should not buy them based on what we saw of multiple serious failures in Gary's one and its replacements. Arsenal triggers give a surplus type two stage feel. If you want it to feel "issued" but still be US made, that's aresenal. If you want smoother, G2 or RSA. I cannot comment on geiselle, beyond that their price is more reasonable than I expected, and that they state pretty clearly that it is not a fine target trigger, rather a refined duty trigger in feel. "best" is always a compromise, and it depends which attributes are most important to you.

• Like 2

. . .The list should also have JARD triggers, and you should not buy them based on what we saw of multiple serious failures in Gary's one and its replacements. . .

Yes; stay away from the JARD product.  It habitually breaks after time.

Edited by Gary

Response from ALG to my email inquiry:

Good Afternoon Darth,

Thank you for contacting us. At the time the AK Triggers have an ETA for the end of May. I do not have a timeline as to when they will ship out. I hope this helps. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Thank You,

Charlie

Sales Associate

ALG Defense, Inc. | Sales Department

800 East Walnut Street

North Wales, PA 19454

• Like 1

Response from ALG to my email inquiry:

Good Afternoon Darth,

Thank you for contacting us. At the time the AK Triggers have an ETA for the end of May. I do not have a timeline as to when they will ship out. I hope this helps. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Thank You,

Charlie

Sales Associate

ALG Defense, Inc. | Sales Department

800 East Walnut Street

North Wales, PA 19454

very cool. won't have my gun back by then any way so maybe i can watch some reviews.

does the extra adjustments in the red star trigger make for more potential for mechanical failure. thats my only concern with the adjustable trigger.

Just loctite the adjustment screws when you find your desired setting.

Must be isolated incidents. I have had G2's in over 10 different AK's that I've owned over the years and not a single one "accidentally bumpfired" on me or anyone else who shouldered them.

I've seen it in several AKs, and with other shooters besides just myself. But I'm glad it works for you!

One other thing to say about it is that the break point of the G2 is somewhat unpredictable.

IMO, it's almost negligence to install a G2 without removing the casting line on the hammer wing& disco, and also cleaning the paint and scnmutz of the hammer  and corresponding ares on the hook(s). 10 minutes will make it far better and deal with that unpredictable break permanently.

As for the set screws on RSA. They come with thread locker, and it works. I did mine in 2010 or 2011. It has had thousands of rounds through it since with no sign of anything loosening. It feels as smooth and crisp as the install. Compared to the g2, at about 1/3 the round count deserved a little repolish. The quality shows. I have no qualms about RSA long term. I do think it is worth removing the back right side set screw on the trigger leg which controls pre-travel and replacing it with one a bit longer, so as to leave more of the screw inside the threads. It cost me about 15 cents to do this when I installed it. perhaps overkill, but it felt more proper to me.

I have a polished G2 and a Red Star Arms trigger. For the record the Red Star it is definately a better trigger. 

For the price point and because I'm cheap....the G2 does everything I need to do.

• Like 2

The G2 disconnectors wears too quickly IMO. Two of mine are pretty beat up and could use replacing.

And yes, some G2 will double easily if you are very light on thr trigger. I havr one that does this. Does not have the faulty disconnector spring cavity, it just will allow the hammer to sometimes pass between the disconnector and trigger hook sometimes. I've been meaning to replace this one but it works fine if you very deliberately squeeze.

Wish Tapco would just sell replacement disconnectors. that's all I really need.

Edited by mancat
  • 1 month later...

ALG just announced the AKT trigger is shipping.  Filling pre-orders first.  AKT-E not shipping yet.

I'm going to wait for the AKT-Enhanced (intend to install it in my VEPR 54R).  Hoping it will be as good an AK FCG as likely humanly possible.

Edited by Gary