• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't get a 10/22 get two 10/22s

^^^ That is pretty slick.   For me it is not an "either / or" situation between the 10/22 or other platforms. I own both and love both for different reasons and because they fit different roles. The

have a 15-22 but the 10-22's leave a world of options. had this threaded for a sparrow can, makes a great walk around plinker.    

Posted Images

^^^ That is pretty slick.

For me it is not an "either / or" situation between the 10/22 or other platforms. I own both and love both for different reasons and because they fit different roles. The 10/22 is still an excellent rifle, and is the perfect base rifle to build a benchrest tack driver on a reasonable budget. This was the first rifle that I truly tore apart and rebuilt to suit my needs:

post-37530-0-13493700-1429544282_thumb.jpg

It is not however the rifle I would choose to create a tactical carbine, for my own personal reasons. I like the AR style 22's either with quality dedicated uppers and even the SW MP because they make perfect trainers for kids before stepping up to 5.56. That was the primary purpose in the route I chose. I chose the Tac- Sol upper based on their reputation and history in producing aftermarket barrels and accessories for the 10-22. I already had a completed lower that I had built, so it was a choice between a $499 all aluminum upper or a $399 complete MP22. I chose the former, but have been impressed with other's MP22s. They are well built rifles.

Personally, I think there are a lot of great options out there that didn't exist when I was a kid plinking with a JC Higgins bolt action. The biggest shame is that there are so many options and such a scarcity of ammo at a decent price.

• Like 7

davem  I was thinking 1930s and was wondering if your case [how can I put this without getting into a shitstorm]  I Love the case  ,do leos do a double take when they see what is inside?I Was thinking of doing something similar.outstanding firearm.

Spacehog, that AR is very sexy!

I'm confused on the STG-44 .22.....

Is that plastic or cast metal (potmetal, zinc, etc.) in that pic mancat?

Check out this video.... starting at 4:50, he says the GSG .22 copy is 9lbs. and "mostly metal".

https://youtu.be/WSQ1VtUVjIU

Yep it could be die cast pot metal. Either way it's not a "real" receiver and I wouldn't want to drop it.

• Like 1

The 10/22 is the semiauto .22lr. You can get all kinds of stocks and accessories for it. If you want the tactical look, there is the SR22 rifle with AR furniture around the 10/22 action.

Granted. But it is still a 10-22 action dressed up like an AR. Different charging method, different safety manipulation, and different mag drop and change.

FTR, I was not intending to debate the superiority of either, only to specify why one met MY needs over the other. Just wanted to clarify that in case my post was unclear. Like I said, there are a lot of great options out there and to state one is absolutely the best is to ignore others individual preferences and needs.

• Like 1

you can make your .223 and .22 lr look like twins

I still want a Browning ATD, don't know if they're "tactical" but being LH the ejects out the bottom is a good thing for me

I always thought those early mini-14 side folders looked really good. Nice balance of wood and tactical.

davem  I was thinking 1930s and was wondering if your case [how can I put this without getting into a shitstorm]  I Love the case  ,do leos do a double take when they see what is inside?I Was thinking of doing something similar.outstanding firearm.

I shoot at a private range and have never had anything other than a big smile when I pop open the fiddle case.

I built the case myself from a cheap plastic violin case bought online.

Heres' the thread. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/90988-fiddlin-around/?hl=%2Bfiddlin+%2Baround

• Like 2

^ That is badass adjc! Did you do the mods yourself? Would love to see more about how this was

thanks,

yes did the mods myself. most were drop in's except the trigger kit which is very easy to do on the 10-22's. the pull is down to 2.5lbs which makes a nice trigger...no creep as it has been adjusted out. most of the vendors and info was found on RFC, these guys are dead serious when it comes to accuracy. also it gets to hitting the wallet a little harder those folks are willing to spend but if it's what your looking for it can be done. it would be hard to part with it, has too many applications. if you were to go this route i would suggest going with the straight folder, much friendlier when using optics an dots. i purchased this stock before the straight folders came out. also had the bbl cut down to 16.25" with the front sight reinstalled.

removed hot links per forum rules.

underfolder stocks

jw custom bolts

kidd trigger kit

que threading service

extended mag release

Edited by adjc
  • Like 4

I have a Butler Creek side folder on my 10/22 but I really like the look of that under folder. I still have the polymer stock that it came with and would love to try the under folder mod.

Did you use a stock polymer 10/22 stock as a starting point? Was the under folder a basic mil spec part with the trunnion?

Looks like a Hogue AK grip.

More info please.

I have a Butler Creek side folder on my 10/22 but I really like the look of that under folder. I still have the polymer stock that it came with and would love to try the under folder mod.

Did you use a stock polymer 10/22 stock as a starting point? Was the under folder a basic mil spec part with the trunnion?

Looks like a Hogue AK grip.

More info please.

dave,

you buy the stock as is. it comes as a complete drop in for the 10-22, hogue grip comes with the stock. all you use is the bbl band from your stock ruger. sent a link to you....check it out.

tony

Edited by adjc
  • Like 3

The ruger sr tacticool is a neat frame to maintain similar ergonomics to your ar when plinking. This odd ball is a good cheap alternative for ak enthusiasts. Both Baikal rifles have ak feel. The top is a one hole wonder, a mp-60 .177 target rifle and the .22 in the middle is an IZH. mp161k. Street price on the .177 is 100 without sights and the .22 is about 200 with 2 mags. A very fun and accurate option for plinkers who like to hone their ak platform skills. This is the kids rack in my home.

post-24315-0-60966400-1429731765_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 4

This a nice option if you want to build a cool 10/22. Or you can buy the sr22 river....  https://nordiccomp.com/product/ar22-3-piece-stock-kit-for-ruger-1022/

Yeah, that is nice!

Much closer to what I'm looking for.

I have the AR parts picked out but will have to mull this over too.

post-16487-0-51604100-1429732795_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just ordered parts for the .22 AR.

Will be my first AR, I always wanted one.

I figure now that I will have the lower, I can always drop a piston 5.56 on it later if I want to.

Will post pics and parts list soon.

• Like 3

I figure now that I will have the lower, I can always drop a piston 5.56 on it later if I want to.

The AR is a great platform and I enjoy shooting and tinkering with the set up on all mine. It can become a cash cow, but they are a lot of fun to play with. So different from the AK's ruggedness and cold war feel. Congrats on your purchase, and I hope you post some pics once you get it built. 

• Like 2

The AR is a great platform and I enjoy shooting and tinkering with the set up on all mine. It can become a cash cow, but they are a lot of fun to play with. So different from the AK's ruggedness and cold war feel. Congrats on your purchase, and I hope you post some pics once you get it built. 

Thank you sir.

Yep, I think it will be a fun rifle, and it's a good starting point in ARs for me.

I almost bought an AK pistol (Century C39) with my cookie jar money, but this will be much more practical.

I kind of have AKs covered for now anyway (though always want more!).

Will post pics when I get the parts.... prob a week or so.

• Like 2

I got it, and I like it!

Not a great pic, but the best I could do with a cheap cell phone. You get the idea.

Picked up the Anderson complete lower from my FFL yesterday and put it together in the afternoon.

While I have plenty of experience on AKs and the S-12, I'm an admitted AR noobie. You AR guys will get some

laughs on my assembly experience.

As I was putting it together, the first problem was getting the stock on the buffer tube. That latch lever is polymer

and I didn't want to snap it trying to get the stock on. Turns out you really have to pull hard on the latch lever to

get clearance to slide the stock on. I guess that plastic lever is tougher than it looks.

Next up was the take down pins in the lower, I'd heard they can be tight on a new lower and they were. Worked

those a bit and they got better. Dropped the upper on the front pin, no problem.

Pivoted the back end down and... OH CRAP! The upper would not seat on the rear pin, it stopped with a gap of

about 3/16" between the upper & lower. Even though I know the fit is supposed to be tight, it sure looked like

something was just a hair out of spec. After I got done cussing for a while, I looked online and saw this can be a

common problem even with standard .223 uppers. Some guys apparently get out the sandpaper and dremel

pretty quickly, but I knew not to do that. Used a little more force to pivot the rear of the upper on down and used

a flashlight to look for wear/rub spots. I saw that the very top edge of the buffer was taking the hit.

The solution (at least for me) was just to use a little more force without being abusive to seat the upper. So I did

so and then the upper fit up nice and tight and the rear pin slid in fine. It was the "get a bigger hammer" solution.

Only other minor issue was the charging handle not cocking the hammer and springing home correctly. Just pulled

out the charge handle and the bolt, they looked fine, so I re-assembled and then it was working correctly.

Put the carry handle on and that was it.... new AR-15 .22lr looking good.   smile.png

The upper is a DPMS (dedicated .22lr) from Midway. I'd done some research on the different .22 uppers, and it looked

to be one of the better ones. Was not impressed with the accuracy in the video, but I think the upper is capable of better

than what he was getting.

While I was considering my options, I found the upper on Midway "on clearance" for $334 with 15 in stock and it was

that way for at least a week. Then I visited and noticed they were down to 13 and decided I'd better grab one. It wasn't

20 minutes after I bought one and the price went up to the $424 retail price. Looked again later that day and they were

back down to $334 "on sale" instead of clearance. Now they are back up to $424 out of stock and no back order.

Looks like my timing was very close on that. The upper comes with a 10rnd mag, I also threw in a Black Dog Machine

25rnd mag in the order. Will order more mags later after testing.

The Anderson complete lower was from ar15part.com, and the carry handle was a cheapo ($28) from Amazon.

The carry handle (Southern Tactical) is nice though and has good feedback.

Search for "HSG Hard coat anodized Handle" on Amazon if you need one.

So very happy with it so far, can't wait to get out to the range with it!

post-16487-0-16980800-1430505809_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 3