The tacticool is strong in this thread... you know you were thinking it.

Hey for 150.00 you get a great shooting (far better than a stock 10/22) dependable rifle that actually has Pro-Mag 25 rd mags that work.

Would trade all the money I spent on on other 22s for a couple more Marlin 795s and pocket most of the cash.

To me that is cool.

• Like 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't get a 10/22 get two 10/22s

^^^ That is pretty slick.   For me it is not an "either / or" situation between the 10/22 or other platforms. I own both and love both for different reasons and because they fit different roles. The

have a 15-22 but the 10-22's leave a world of options. had this threaded for a sparrow can, makes a great walk around plinker.    

Posted Images

>>The tacticool is strong in this thread... you know you were thinking it.

Yep, I know what you're saying..... and will not take offense. I was waiting for the "tacticool" comments.   :)

As I said in my first post.... "how tactical can you get with .22?".

I have a Marlin 795 like you do (though I only paid $109 on sale at Dick's) but as I said I want a more beefy .22 rifle.

Have you had to replace the plastic buffer in your 795 yet?

Probably haven't shot mine enough, I've heard they don't like HV ammo and will wear out that buffer over time even with standard ammo.

HV ammo makes it wear out much faster. (same as a Marlin 60 does)

Anyway....

I could have built a 5.56 AR just as easy for about the same price, but that's not what I wanted. I don't want to stock another expensive

caliber right now. Though if I decide to cover that caliber some day, all it takes is a new upper. I have the AR lower now. That was honestly

another motivation.... buy an AR lower now.

But yeah, I'll fess up.... I like my tacticool AR-15 .22 way better than my Marlin. Judging by the posts in this thread, a lot of other guys like

their tactical .22's as well. Some very cool rifle pics posted.

Nobody says a plain jane AR-15 like mine is "tacticool" if it's 5.56 cal right? The problem is that it's a .22?

A rifle doesn't have to be simply utilitarian just 'cause it's a .22. No problem with a .22 being cool in my book.

Welp.... off to the mall to apply for that mall cop job.     :)

• Like 1

I'll admit I'm tempted to get one of the .22lr Mossberg ARs except the one without the handle [those handles are just too fugly for me] is $50 more than the handled one.

Be careful on the Mossbergs.... I did look into this a bit lately and I considered that one too.

It did not receive much good feedback from what I could find.

You have to take the whole plastic shell apart to clean it.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-mossberg-715t/

From what I found, the best cheap tactical .22 is the S&W M&P 15-22 (around $400).

The Sig 522 is about the same price, maybe $20-$30 more.

The Colt M4 .22 (made by Walther) is a good looking gun (they have a bull barrel, no handle version) for around $340 or so.

It's apparently a nightmare to take the bolt assembly apart and you have to loosen the flash hider to get the take down pins out.

The actual barrel is the diameter of a drinking straw.

Just read up on them to see what you are really getting.

• Like 1

IMO, the best tactical .22 will be a 10/22 with an archangel stock. your still getting the reliable action of the Ruger, and being able to make it all mall ninja'd out.

• Like 1

Asking about a tactical rifle is a loaded question I think (no pun intended). It seems to me that if you are set on 'tactical', tactics go out the window, and what you really want is opinions on some kind of AR. I mean, what the hell is a tactical .22? What tactics are you employing? I feel like the most tactical thing a rimfire rifle is going to do is take small game in some kind of survival scenario. And in that case the best "tactical" .22 is the one that is best suited to taking small game. Maybe the most rugged. Now there are a few cases of rimfires being used to some degree in combat. But the chances that you are going to need our even want to use a .22 in such a manner are quite slim. All that being said, sometimes guns are just for fun, and there's nothing wrong with that! I do hope you enjoy your rifle, but leave the "tactical .22s" to the operators.

>>I do hope you enjoy your rifle, but leave the "tactical .22s" to the operators.

You mean I shouldn't wear face paint and a ghillie suit and stalk ground hogs with my tactical .22?

>>I feel like the most tactical thing a rimfire rifle is going to do is take small game in some kind of survival scenario.

And what's wrong with that?

>>All that being said, sometimes guns are just for fun, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Zactly.

"Tactical .22" has become a casual descriptive term for the type of rifle. If you Google "tactical .22" you get results of the type of rifles

we are talking about in this thread. It's an easier descriptive term rather than to have to say, "You know, those .22 rifles that are cooler than

plain old .22 rifles". It's way easier to say "tactical .22".

I do understand some aggravation with everything being labeled as "tactical"........ ie. tactical toe nail trimmers, etc.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with a .22 being used for hunting small game...the point was, that doesn't make them tactical. It's not a descriptive term, because it does not describe what they are. It describes what the people who post the shit call anything with a weaver/picatinny rail. I'm really not trying to be a dick! But calling .22s tactical is pretty much what leads to tactical toe nail clippers, and tactical hot dogs. And who is to say that a .22 shaped like an m4 is cooler than a Henry golden boy, or "cooler than other .22s" I certainly wouldn't agree. The label is the problem. I just suggest that if the only way you can find what you want is by putting tactical in front of it, maybe you're choosing something for the wrong reasons. Tactical has become a casual term in general. But it doesn't have to be.

Edited by RedRhino

There's nothing wrong with a .22 being used for hunting small game...the point was, that doesn't make them tactical. It's not a descriptive term, because it does not describe what they are. It describes what the people who post the shit call anything with a weaver/picatinny rail. I'm really not trying to be a dick! But calling .22s tactical is pretty much what leads to tactical toe nail clippers, and tactical hot dogs. And who is to say that a .22 shaped like an m4 is cooler than a Henry golden boy, or "cooler than other .22s" I certainly wouldn't agree. The label is the problem. I just suggest that if the only way you can find what you want is by putting tactical in front of it, maybe you're choosing something for the wrong reasons. Tactical has become a casual term in general. But it doesn't have to be.

>>There's nothing wrong with a .22 being used for hunting small game...the point was, that doesn't make them tactical. It's not a descriptive term, because it does not describe what they are.

Yes, I know. I get it.  "Tactical AR .22 is not tactical".

None the less, go to http://www.google.com and search the term "tactical .22".

Then email Google tech support and tell them to remove all references to "tactical .22" because the term does not exist.

Thank goodness you came around to straighten out my usage of gun terms.

Hey, forgot to tell you..... the clips fit great in my tactical .22.

• Like 2

>>The tacticool is strong in this thread... you know you were thinking it.

Yep, I know what you're saying..... and will not take offense. I was waiting for the "tacticool" comments.   smile.png

As I said in my first post.... "how tactical can you get with .22?".

I have a Marlin 795 like you do (though I only paid $109 on sale at Dick's) but as I said I want a more beefy .22 rifle.

Have you had to replace the plastic buffer in your 795 yet?

Probably haven't shot mine enough, I've heard they don't like HV ammo and will wear out that buffer over time even with standard ammo.

HV ammo makes it wear out much faster. (same as a Marlin 60 does)

Anyway....

I could have built a 5.56 AR just as easy for about the same price, but that's not what I wanted. I don't want to stock another expensive

caliber right now. Though if I decide to cover that caliber some day, all it takes is a new upper. I have the AR lower now. That was honestly

another motivation.... buy an AR lower now.

But yeah, I'll fess up.... I like my tacticool AR-15 .22 way better than my Marlin. Judging by the posts in this thread, a lot of other guys like

their tactical .22's as well. Some very cool rifle pics posted.

Nobody says a plain jane AR-15 like mine is "tacticool" if it's 5.56 cal right? The problem is that it's a .22?

A rifle doesn't have to be simply utilitarian just 'cause it's a .22. No problem with a .22 being cool in my book.

Welp.... off to the mall to apply for that mall cop job.     smile.png

Yeah I had to replace one once, kind of a bear until you learn the tricks to doing it and yeah I have spares. Thank god for youtube and paper clips.

But frankly after god only knows how many thousands of rds of CCI minimags still holding well, and since I found the RWS brand ammo shots cloverleaf at 50m.

Not bad for a cheap rifle.

Bit picky on subsonics but the CCI brand cycles perfectly.

What semi 22 isnt picky on subs in particular heh

Now the only 10/22 I own presently cost about 3 to 4 times as much after the barrel, stock, and FCG mods to shoot more accurately than the Marlin and I still haven't found a good 25 rd mag I would call reliable so I just stick with 10s. Oh yeah it looks great, functions fine, but still isnt any more effective than the 795. Good for shooting for score is about it.

795 is just a hell of 22 and frankly firearms unlike women dont gain a thing from looking cool and can lose in the process.

The wallet absolutely loses but to each their own.

Just something to consider, functionality at a great price is it's own kind of very cool, likely why I own AKs instead of ARs. 

• Like 1

Sorry Spartacus, I'm not trying to bash you, it's just the whole "what's trending" bullshit drives me nuts. It was not a personal attack against you.

No problem.... I was expecting some push back on this.

Though I was actually expecting it to be gung-ho AR guys insulted that I neutered an AR lower with a .22 upper.   :)

And I do understand the problem with calling pea shooters "tactical".

I suppose I could have asked for opinions on "military style" .22 rifles, but then somebody else would be pissed at that.

• Like 1

If I were wanting a training simulator .22, I would go for the M&P. Most of the AK lookalike 22s had magazine problems, but I know someone here had a fix for that with one of the versions. Maybe he'll chime in with the info.

My family has 6 or so 10/22s I own two of them. They are good when they are good, but if we are honest, a lot of them are very picky about ammo and magazines. Ruger has inconsistent castings in the magwell area, and variable levels of drag on the bolt, etc. I think they are higher build quality than most of the competition, but they are not as consistently good as the hype warrants.

IMO the best practical way to set one up is with a 16" SS factory barrel and an older butler creek side folder. (New ones are an inch different

length.)  It needs an extended mag release, and a decent, but not necessarily fancy scope. I like a 3x9x40 or bigger front objective. FOV trumps everything. A power customs trigger pack is also worthwhile option. Most anything else is fluff. This setup is about 2" longer folded than the takedown IIRC and can fire just fine folded. I really don't see the point of the takedown model for this reason. 

gallery_17871_1399_556715.jpg

med_gallery_17871_1399_1662661.jpg

• Like 5

Nice rifles Gunfun.

I do still like the 10/22, and it's still on my acquire list.

Though I don't think I'll get a take down model like I was going to.

Will probably get the stainless barrel with the basic synthetic stock.

I was short on my .22 collection, just had the Marlin, Ruger SR-22 pistol, and now the AR.

There's plenty of room for the 10/22 in the collection.

• Like 2

I see gunfun and i have similar tastes! Mine has the butler creek side folder and a bushnell fixed 4x scope. I will add that at first i had a marlin 795 and although it never had one hiccup i was dismayed at the total lack of aftermarket upgrades available for it. So it got traded in for the ruger, which in at least 3000 rounds has had roughly 3 ftf.

post-46523-0-28083600-1430790507_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, I have been away from this thread for a while, but I am amazed by the some of the negativity directed towards Spartacus' build.

Spartacus, you did a nice job on the build and I hope you enjoy the rifle immensely.

• Like 1

Wow, I have been away from this thread for a while, but I am amazed by the some of the negativity directed towards Spartacus' build.

Spartacus, you did a nice job on the build and I hope you enjoy the rifle immensely.

Thanks Spacehog.

Yeah, I think there was an assumption that I was going all Chuck Norris over a .22 plinker.

Nothing like that, I just wanted a kick-ass .22 and was asking for opinions on what's out there, that's all.   

I believe that is why "tactical" was in quotes, to denote that we're talking about a mall ninja .22lr

That's it exactly JDeko. 

I was trying to be careful with the title of the thread with the "tactical" in quotes as a clue that I'm not serious about the "tactical".

No hard feelings though towards anybody.... it's easy to get wound up about stuff sometimes.

Not promising I won't ever post a thread about "tactical" air guns though.

With big "clips"..... and lasers.

haha.gif

• Like 1

My prob with 10/22 or sks etc is the oal length of the gun is longer cause of the silly non introduction of pistol grip. Just like how a non converted Saiga looks

or Catamount Furies 

Nice, I see you like stainless. 

Stainless is for having with you all day in all weather. Everything else is for polishing and putting in a nice tidy safe at home. I spent a fair portion of growing up on a commercial fishing boat. We didn't have patience for "oranged" steel and dead tree corpses on our pest control tools. We also quickly learn that most stainless isn't.

• Like 1

My prob with 10/22 or sks etc is the oal length of the gun is longer cause of the silly non introduction of pistol grip. Just like how a non converted Saiga looks

I don't disagree. They are still fairly compact with the folder. I do like where they put the safety.

Ruger triggers get heavier every week, it seems like. Power Customs is the best cure for that. They could use an LRBHO, stainless sights, charging handles, trigger guard, hammer, all the little sheet metal bits in the FCG, pins safety, etc. on the SS gun. Oh yeah, and stainless receivers too. The AMT licensed one is actually a lot better in that respect. Receiver is SS with built in scope rail, it came with All SS parts except springs front sight and firing pin. And it came out in 1984, which is likely the year mine is from. The ruger has been upgraded with a couple of the parts from the AMT which it replaced.

I decided to trick out old faithful into a toy rather than retire it. So it got a fajen 6 way stock, trigger job, new firing pin, kimber barrel, etc. It makes no sense but it is fun. Ebay can do wonders for a small budget resto-mod project.

Neither has seen much use since 2009. Bricks are just not in stock when I walk in. Besides, I make 9mm cheaper.

Nice rifles Gunfun.

I do still like the 10/22, and it's still on my acquire list.

Though I don't think I'll get a take down model like I was going to.

Will probably get the stainless barrel with the basic synthetic stock.

I was short on my .22 collection, just had the Marlin, Ruger SR-22 pistol, and now the AR.

There's plenty of room for the 10/22 in the collection.

Don't let me talk you out of it. Rather, if you get one that doesn't run all ammo and work with even a worn butler creek mag. Just trade it. Then roll the dice on another one.

• Like 1

Just for some more needless information, we do know that for max accuracy, (or for any accuracy) the bore must be regular .22rf diameter... which I have forgotten.  It is smaller than the 5.56 bore diameter.  It is also different than the Russian 5.45mm bore diameter.  Three, (3) distinct bore sizes.  Makes a big big difference in accuracy.

We swapped M231 USGI .22rf conversion kits into AR15 shorties years ago teaching Cub and Boy Scouts basic rifle safety and marksmanship for their merit patches.  I do not know if they even have a firearms merit patch today.  Anyhow, as fun time after they all graduated, (quite well also) we let them hose off a full 10 round mag.

The USGI M231 mags may also have held 15 rounds, but I believe only 10.  Been too long ago.

The .22rf mags fitted into a 30 round USGI M16 mag.  One hundred percent function with the .22rf conversion kit.  But accuracy beyond about 25 yards was impossible.  Wrong bore diameter and twist rate.  .22rf bullets are bore size/twist rate sensitive.  This is why we use the excellent Green Mountain 8" SS 1X9 twist BB barrel with the Bentz chamber.

This is for the long heavy .22rf Aquila SSS 60 grain subsonic bullets only.  We have other twist barrels for ordinary .22rf bullets.

Anyhow ... if you are serious about any kind of long range accuracy for skunk or critter busting with the .22rf, you MUST be aware of bore diameters, chambers and rifling twist rates.  Standard .22rf twist rate is either 1X15 or 1X16.  I forgot which.  We already know about 5.56 bores and twist rates.  Not accurate with chamber type .22rf conversion kits.

You really need the proper dedicated upper/barrel  group for the AR15.  Hope this helps.  Passing it forward.  HB of CJ (old coot)

All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

• Like 1

Or you could treat the 10/22 kind of like a Saiga-12, alot of them don't work, but with a little effort, they're just fine.

When I first got my 10/22, it wouldn't make it through the factory 10 round magazine without a jam or two, in my case, all I had to do was radius and polish the bolt (sound familiar?) and tighten the extractor a little bit. 

• Like 1