I looked at the S&W M&P 15-22 when I was shopping around.

Very nice rifle and they are very popular.

The upper & lower are poly though, so be aware of that.

Fingered one over at the lgs (very light weight) and they wanted $400, about the going price.

I think you could find one for $350 or less if you wait and shop around.

Just saw this on sportsmans outdoor superstore.....

post-16487-0-87203400-1430799900_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't get a 10/22 get two 10/22s

^^^ That is pretty slick.   For me it is not an "either / or" situation between the 10/22 or other platforms. I own both and love both for different reasons and because they fit different roles. The

have a 15-22 but the 10-22's leave a world of options. had this threaded for a sparrow can, makes a great walk around plinker.    

Posted Images

Oh ya 10/22 are like glocks. Can't go wrong cause everyone has parts for em. I like that aspect of em, and the stsinless is cool. It's just the silly fcg and also the lack of last round bolt hold open that makes me annoyed.

The sw is cool, but I like the wood and steel like someone else suggested in diff thread. Sorry walnut and dark blue

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565165&page=2

Here's a cz half way down, that tactical enough for Ya?!?? Haha. Real excellent machine work in bolt. Not a sewer pipe that happens to shoot bullets like the savage fvsr I had. Could see milling lines circumferentially in barrel and bolt was gritty and cheasy

Just no style man! Or class. CZs have class

• Like 1

HB. I think we talked about this before, but .22LR ammo diameter varies greatly as does actual bore size. Most of the time when people say "Brand X of ammo is crap" There's another guy calling him crazy because it works great. -- And the thing is that it fits the second guys's gun 0.001-0.002" over bore. 22 mag is a hair bigger nominally than LR, and both are smaller than .223/556. So most 22lr is going to suck bad out of an AR barrel with one of those kits. Better to have a dedicated 22lr upper if that is what you want.

• Like 1

Agreed on "hawtness" of the bolt gun in the synthetic stock.

Is that a factory config or custom?

ETA:  Was looking at a M&P 15-22 thread on arfcom where some of those guys have spent a ton of money on them

and certainly have made them "tactical".  SBR, cans, etc.

Edited by Spartacus

Just an FYI when picking up mags. The Blackdog X form mags are terrific in terms of feeding and cycling. They have worked flawlessly in my rifle. However they are not made of polymer like say a PMag is made of. They are more like a fiberglass resin or hard plastic and as a result the plastic is more brittle. I have had a small piece of the top corner break off on two mags after minor drops on concrete. It has not affected function at all, but just wanted to put that out there. If they made them out of polymer instead of plastic, they would be IMHO the best .22 mag on the market unequivocally hands down.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the mags, I see what you mean by looking at them.

I also see that the stock 10rnd mag that came with the upper has plastic feed lips, while the Blackdog 25rnd mag has nice metal feed lips.

I read someplace that the plastic lips can erode after a while.

Agree that the Blackdog mags are really nice overall.

Black Dog says right on their page their mags are polycarbonate/lexan. Lexan is stronger than typical plastic/polymer, so I wouldn't worry about it..

I can tell you from experience, that the Blackdog mags are brittle compared to a standard PMag. I know what their marketing says about the materials used in the construction. My experience has been that the material used, in combination with the construction methods, ie location of screws connecting the two halves of the mag, is not up to par with what most people think when they think about polycarbonate. It may very well be polycarbonate, but not up to par with quality polycarbonate used in lenses. The failure has been with the "black" mags and not the "smoke" mags, but admittedly the smoke mags are my spares that do not see as much use. The black mags see ALOT of use. Below is a pic of the typical failure I have seen:

post-37530-0-58617500-1430883868_thumb.jpg

And a pic of the "smoke" mag as it should be:

post-37530-0-97262000-1430883943_thumb.jpg

As I stated earlier, the weakness has not affected function, but I wanted The OP to be aware that in my experience, this has been a drawback to the Blackdog mags, and they are highly rated for AR-22s.

• Like 1

If they made them out of polymer instead of plastic

err, uhm so, here's the thing. . . .

Maybe I should have been clearer, if they made them out of the same polymer/plastic that Magpul/ Tapco etc..... The polymer needs to be less rigid and more flexible.

• Like 2

If they made them out of polymer instead of plastic

err, uhm so, here's the thing. . . .

Maybe I should have been clearer, if they made them out of the same polymer/plastic that Magpul/ Tapco etc..... The polymer needs to be less rigid and more flexible.

I know what you meant.

If you hold one of the .22 mags in your hand, it feels like a harder/more brittle plastic than a poly AK mag or an S-12 mag/drum.

Ideally they would be a little softer plastic to take more abuse.

I think Mike said he tried a couple of different poly formulations for the drum before he found the one he wanted for durability.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

Now you tell me!   smile.png

I'm glad I got what I did, and (like you said) I would not get this one either.

This is another .22 rifle dressed up in a plastic shell kind of a thing.

Mossberg also has the 715T that is about the same thing in an AR looking shell.

Nothing really wrong with them that I can see as long as the buyer knows what they are getting.

The guy in the video is happy with it, and it looks accurate. And it's only about half of what I spent on mine.

Long term reliability remains to be seen though.

Certainly worth including in the thread as somebody may see that and decide it's exactly what they want.

ETA:  Looks "tactical".    :)

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

This seems pertinent. It doesn't look like something I would buy, but it exists.

Funny that this should come up. Ive been working on expanding my 22 collection and was planning on starting a thread about finding an ak 22.

Got my answer before I even asked. :) thanks gunfun

• Like 1

It looks like this resembles an AK in the wood, but not in manual of arms, construction, etc. Reliable mags is a good selling point, but the video didn't claim enough use to really demonstrate reliable or not.

• Like 2

It looks like this resembles an AK in the wood, but not in manual of arms, construction, etc. Reliable mags is a good selling point, but the video didn't claim enough use to really demonstrate reliable or not.

Yeah I kinda figured. He even mentioned in his video to not put ak parts on because they won't fit. I'm guessing most if not all 22 rounds don't have enough power to cycle a traditional ak.

Looks pretty close, and for 275? No problem, its a plinker. Would like to know how the poly upper and lower hold up though. I'm guessing this one wouldn't survive a good old fashioned ak torture test.

Better keep the ham sandwiches and gummi bears far far away! :)

• Like 1

Here's the GSG .22lr AK.

It has a scope rail and more realistic sights and safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fBAagmzI1eo

Actually kind of amazing that there are several .22 AKs around. RIA (ARMSCOR) has one.

And I forgot about the Romanian WASR-22, possibly the closest thing to a "real" .22 AK.

post-16487-0-80843900-1431143208_thumb.jpg

post-16487-0-66462200-1431144335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1