I have a 1919 smle no.1 mkIII that my uncle unfortunately sporterized long before I received it. That's neither here nor there, as I'm looking for opinions on the rifling. I don't have a lot of first hand experience, but to me the rifling appears strong. Anyhoo, what do y'all think? I think you can get an idea if you zoom in a bit.

post-50366-0-66696400-1429488477_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, .303. Here's some crappy pics with three different cartridges in the muzzle followed by a picture of the the rounds in that same order, followed by a crappy pic showing more of the rifle. I'll get better pictures sometime when it's light out.

.45Colt Taurus Thunderbolt 

Rifling photos can be tricky to take.

Agreed.

post-50366-0-23713700-1429496184_thumb.jpg

post-50366-0-60268600-1429496212_thumb.jpg

post-50366-0-34762300-1429496248_thumb.jpg

post-50366-0-59176000-1429496328_thumb.jpg

post-50366-0-68291200-1429496380_thumb.jpg

This was my grandfather's deer gun. Idk what he actually took with it. I got it when he passed, and even though sad it's sad to see it chopped up, I love it just the same. I don't shoot it to often, but I hope to make this my deer gun when I get back into hunting. Later this year I hope.

It looks like it's still got good rifling to me. So long as it's consistent all the way through with the picture you posted above of the rifling, and the bullet will engage the rifling grooves properly, which it looks to be that way, I'd say it looks fine. A bullet must be slightly oversized from the caliber of your rifle to be accurate. For example, a .223 Rem. will use a .224/1000" bullet. That is why when you inserted the .303 into your muzzle, it did not simply drop all the way to the mouth of the case.

A bullet must be slightly oversized from the caliber of your rifle to be accurate. For example, a .223 Rem. will use a .224/1000" bullet. That is why when you inserted the .303 into your muzzle, it did not simply drop all the way to the mouth of the case.

I'm not THAT much of a noob ;) haha. Seriously though I did understand the point of this "test". But I hadn't known about it or thought of it so thank you! What are the rifles in the picture you posted?

Oh Mosins right? Shadow makes the sight post look wider.

A bullet must be slightly oversized from the caliber of your rifle to be accurate. For example, a .223 Rem. will use a .224/1000" bullet. That is why when you inserted the .303 into your muzzle, it did not simply drop all the way to the mouth of the case.

I'm not THAT much of a noob wink.png haha. Seriously though I did understand the point of this "test". But I hadn't known about it or thought of it so thank you! What are the rifles in the picture you posted?

Oh Mosins right? Shadow makes the sight post look wider.

laugh.png  I wasn't sure how much you knew, so figured I'd let you know how it worked if you didn't already, or in case you forgot! naaaa.gif  Those are just some rifles I found on google, but yes, they look to be a couple of Mosin's.

OMG its.... TWISTED!!!!!

I can take that off your hands if you'll pay me $25 for disposal!

Just kidding. Looks like he did a nice job.

The best way to find out ..... Put it on paper.

OMG its.... TWISTED!!!!!

I can take that off your hands if you'll pay me $25 for disposal!

Just kidding. Looks like he did a nice job.

The best way to find out ..... Put it on paper.

True, I should do that one of these days.

Put it on paper I mean, not send it to you for disposal. Haha.