Factory Gas Tube Cover

I have a mod in mind for this thing but want to be sure of what I'm doing first, so I have a few questions. 1. What is the function of this part? I mean, it provides some protection I guess if I decide to grab the gas tube after burning through some rounds, but do I really need it on there? 2. How easy is it going to be to take off and get back on? 3. Has anyone modified the factory tube/tube cover? Pics? This is on a x39 by the way. Thanks everyone!

It's spot welded in place in a couple places. removal would be by breaking those welds. Installation would be not so easy.

Its there for two reasons, 1 is for slight heat protection and the second would be aesthetics.

I don't know if YOU really need it on there. Just know that if you remove it, reinstalling it won't be as easy as removal.

That's about what I figured. You think welding it back on will be the only way to get it to hold properly? I want to cut angled slots in it. Pretty much just because I think it would look neat. Here is a pic of what I mean, just did this real quick to demonstrate so it's sloppy.

post-50366-0-34555700-1429561126_thumb.jpg

One point, you'll let more smoke out. The TWS fore end has a few open spaces in the gas tube. Can get quite a bit of smoke in your face when shooting with the more holes you make. If you do this, buy a backup in case you don't like the finished product.

Edited by Dad2142Dad

One point, you'll let more smoke out. The TWS fore end has a few open spaces in the gas tube. Can get quite a bit of smoke in your face when shooting with the more holes you make. If you do this, buy a backup in case you don't like the finished product.

If he's just doing the cover, no more smoke than normal will roll out. The actual gas tube would still be intact.

• Like 1

Interesting point, thank you.

If he's just doing the cover, no more smoke than normal will roll out. The actual gas tube would still be intact.
Oh, I was wondering about that, I didn't know if there was something I didn't know about hiding under there, or exactly what he meant.

Tools are..limited to say the least. I cut slots with a dremel cut off disc and hand filed them out with various small files. It's a work in progress so they're not all completely even at the moment. Needs three more cuts to get down to the end. Pain in the ass and time consuming, but I like it so far. Edited for spelling.

Edited by RedRhino

Finished. Just curing now. I'm going to post a new thread in general.

Actually no, here it is. Don't mind my messy room. Didn't feel like getting up to take better pics. Decided I like the five slots and didn't need to cut more.

post-50366-0-59035400-1430086858_thumb.jpg

post-50366-0-03624700-1430086879_thumb.jpg

post-50366-0-48616400-1430086901_thumb.jpg

post-50366-0-40589400-1430086921_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you! I just wanted to do something original and make this rifle my own. It's not much I guess, but it's my little personal touch.

Mission accomplished, it looks great.

And yeah, those are some lazy ass pictures lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you salty. I used two part jb weld at the four points where it was welded previously. I could have sanded it better, I can see where the points were. But it's all good, not very noticeable and I could fix it if I really wanted to.

• 4 weeks later...