With all the talk of round capacity, double-stack mags, and firing multiple times in quick succession it seems like Revolvers would be awful for CCW but I still hear a lot of people saying they do carry them.

I'm really interested in hearing the thought process behind that since its so opposite of what I hear the most and admittedly I also just really love talking about guns.

Most defensive encounters occur at close range.  A revolver tends to be a bigger caliber such as .38 special or .357 mag.  A revolver will not stovepipe, if you have a dud shell, you can just pull the trigger again and the revolver will fire the next shot.  A dud shell in a semi-auto and you will have some work to do to get it to fire again.  Basically a revolver is a guaranteed 5 or 6 shots where a semi-auto could have issues.

• Like 5

Blue S & W 629 4" bbl. Mountain Gun in mundane .44 mag.  Fairly big and clunky and required recoil control.  With one, (1) speed loader it does not go that much more heavy than a big auto with many reload mags.  Works for me.  Actual felt recoil does not seem that much worserer than a Bull Dog .44 Special.  Also what is important is that when using the single action mode and a good hasty rest, fairly long range hits are doable.  Trititon (sp) Adjustable Night Sights.  Hope this helps.  HB of CJ (old coot)  Edit;  Forgot the Hogue rubber wrap around grips and the bruised hands.  Very fun.

Edited by HB of CJ

How about double-tapping? In my [very limited] revolver experience shooting double-action  is kinda tough and thumb-cocking means lowering your muzzle. Is it something you just work through and get used to the heavy trigger on the second shot or is it about making every shot count much more?

I'm not an expert on revolvers, but this is the way I see it. Revolvers can be generally great for carry if you are not going to put high round counts on them without replacing internal parts as a maintenance effort. The internals do all of the work that blowback would do in a pistol. Something really light like an Airweight or Bobyguard can be carried in the front pocket of shorts and it kind of diappears in there and is far better for something like that than most pistols. Hammerless is the only type I would recommend for that type of carry. Apex makes a kit for the Airweight that makes strings much faster and easier to keep on target, but it is costly. Cheap revolvers are only a good idea if you do not fire them much. I call those "2 box" guns. Fire one box of ammo (50) and save the other box for actual defense. The internals on some of the cheap revolvers wear out quickly. If you are a person who likes to train a lot or just shoot your carry pistol a lot, cheap revolvers are often a terrible idea. After you pay someone to repair it you could have just about bought a better quality revolver that would have lasted. Having said all of this, I do not own a revolver, but I do work on them on a fairly regular basis. They just don't fit my every day needs and I carry a G22 because it is a much more versatile firearm, but my reasoning behind that is a totally different subject and based on criteria that goes all of the way to budget and the fact that it is the only pistol I own. However, I'd love to have an Airweight for those hot summer days when carrying in my front shorts pocket would allow me to wear a shirt that is not going to hide a full size pistol. In most realistic SD situations, 5 or 6 shots should get the job done in a carjacking etc.. Personally, I like the idea of having a lot more rounds than I might need in an average situation and a revolver doesn't deliver that. Part of that thought process is derived from a past experience of a large group of people trying to rob me in Atlanta. A 6 shot revolver would have handled about 1/2 of that group. I had a 5 round NAA mini on me and the sound of the hammer cocking under my shirt was enough to convince the closest guy to me that he did not want to be first and it diffused the immediate situation. All the while all I could think is, "I have 5 shots and I am fucked". That was a very lucky night for me. On the other hand, thus far it hasn't really mattered what I have carried because I have not needed to fire on another human in self defense, thankfully. I'd like to go through my entire life like that, but the more I look around at events the less likely it seems.

I've been looking into getting a wheel gun for ccw myself, and I'm leaning towards a 2.5 inch model 66 Smith and Wesson.  I currently carry at .40 shield with a the apex trigger and sear.  I don't really shoot it all that well and the 2nd shot in the double tap rarely rings on steel.  I have a 686-4 that I can rapid fire double action and groups are smaller than the cylinder.  Hell, it will even ring the steel plate at 100yds consistently.  Revolvers and I seem to get along great.  It's a huge pistol being an L frame and 6 inch barrel though.   My wife carries a 642 with come crimson trace grips.  Like others have said, It's a nice little gun to put in your pocket and it just kinda blends away like it's not there.  It's a bitch to shoot though with +p and even with wolf springs, the heavy double action trigger pulls your aim off if your not working at it. 

I'm making the switch because the shield is only 6 rds like a revolver anyway, I'm pretty good with speed strips on a wheel, and I tend to shoot a lot better with them.

The revolver vs semi auto argument has been around since the first auto loader was invented.

But in spite of the claims, revolvers CAN fail.  Anything mechanical can fail.  I have seen a revolver lock up where the cylinder wouldn't move, the hammer wouldn't move, and the trigger wouldn't move.  Turns out a screw had worked loose in the mechanism.  I call that particular model poor design.

Does this mean that revolvers are unreliable?  No.  But I would think twice about using that particular brand of revolver for defense.

Price doesn't always equal quality but there are brands with stellar reputations for reliability and you will pay more for them.

Revolver, handgun, rifle, shotgun...  Choose a brand/model that is known for reliability.  And test your particular firearm with many hundreds of rounds before you trust your life to it.

But remember, the firearm is a tool.  You are the weapon.  It is easy to think/talk about firearm reliability.  If you study the results of gunfights, it is almost never a gun failure that loses the fight.  It is an operator failure.

So you should choose a reliable firearm, yes.  But you should be more concerned that YOU are reliable in using it.

Guns don't win gunfights, people do.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 6

So if my AK has a fully loaded 75 round drum and you have a single shot Derringer, your gonna win the gunfight.  biggrin.png

I guess crazier things have happened.

I have always favored wheel guns, I like the big magnums.

There is something reassuring in a revolver, maybe its simplicity.

The only pistol I own is my M92 (hey, thats what they classify it as smile.png )…. but I wouldn't mind having a 1911 someday.

Here is my fave revolver.. too bad they don't make it anymore.

post-46572-0-40864800-1429896013_thumb.jpg

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH
  • Like 1

Oh for fuck's sake.  Is that what you took from what I said?  Really?

Gawd I love the internet.

Let me clarify since the obvious point was not obvious enough.

Don't think that just because you have a bigger caliber or more rounds or the latest electronic sight that you are ready for a gunfight. 

People rely too much on what gun and not nearly enough on how to effectively use it.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

But in spite of the claims, revolvers CAN fail.  Anything mechanical can fail.  I have seen a revolver lock up where the cylinder wouldn't move, the hammer wouldn't move, and the trigger wouldn't move.  Turns out a screw had worked loose in the mechanism.  I call that particular model poor design.

Does this mean that revolvers are unreliable?  No.  But I would think twice about using that particular brand of revolver for defense.

So what model/brand was it?

People rely too much on what gun and not nearly enough on how to effectively use it.

I understand your point and it is a good one.

This video shows it doesn't take too much training or brains to effectively operate a firearm and be deadly with it.

https://youtu.be/GhxqIITtTtU laugh.png

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

But remember, the firearm is a tool.  You are the weapon.  It is easy to think/talk about firearm reliability.  If you study the results of gunfights, it is almost never a gun failure that loses the fight.  It is an operator failure.

So you should choose a reliable firearm, yes.  But you should be more concerned that YOU are reliable in using it.

That was actually really inspiring. I hope to be a honed weapon very soon.

For the price i could get an FN45 so i probably won't ever get one unless I get a kickass profession but if I were to get a Revolver for personal defense I'd get an S&W Governor. That pistol just felt so natural in my hands and those 4 000 Buck pellets leave some nasty holes. I'd be pretty worried if i needed more than 6 rounds for whatever reason but I know those 6 rounds would really tear someone new arses. 

I own both an airweight hammerless S&W and semis and I'll give my experience and opinion. A revolver is a guaranteed no bull gun. If you need a defensive carry piece and want to know there will be a round at the ready, it's perfect. Be sure you can handle whatever choice you make before any purchases though. The S&W I own is actually my wifes. I have shot the gun more than she has and enjoy it more. She decided on the purchase before firing and was not able to handle the recoil of the gun. Remember that a semi uses some of the force from recoil to operate the slide and it is definitely a different recoil between a .38 and a 9mm even if they are roughly the same diameter. I'd carry a revolver over a Glock if I had any worry of limp wristing. Would be much safer

I don't carry a revolver for ccw. For me, there are much better options.

I do carry a GP100 in the woods, however.

f5e93e403b3bdc82b29957837137798b_zps0b70

I would also consider a G20 (10mm) to replace the .357. But, funds always seem to go elsewhere.

• Like 3

That was actually really inspiring. I hope to be a honed weapon very soon.

For the price i could get an FN45 so i probably won't ever get one unless I get a kickass profession but if I were to get a Revolver for personal defense I'd get an S&W Governor. That pistol just felt so natural in my hands and those 4 000 Buck pellets leave some nasty holes. I'd be pretty worried if i needed more than 6 rounds for whatever reason but I know those 6 rounds would really tear someone new arses. 

You'd better be pretty big to conceal that thing, or carry it in your purse.

I don't carry a revolver for ccw. For me, there are much better options.

I do carry a GP100 in the woods, however.

f5e93e403b3bdc82b29957837137798b_zps0b70

I would also consider a G20 (10mm) to replace the .357. But, funds always seem to go elsewhere.

Man those WC GP100s look good.

I always thought the 3" barrel was perfect for that gun, and I like the wood insert grips instead of the Hogue grips.

I was looking to find one like the pic below, but then found the awesome deal on my 4" GP100 and had to buy it.

post-16487-0-57433300-1429990146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spartacus

Yeah, for the most part I plan to carry my weapon in a bag most likely if I do get a CCW. At least for right now I still don't want to be known by all my associates as "the person with the gun on themselves at all times." I could've said "Wheelguns for Home Defense" but CCW also limits the amount of boxed ammo you could have on you.

I do now see the issue that by saying "CCW" I've brought concealment into the equation as well.

Edited by JDeko

Maybe not afraid, per se... I guess I just don't want that to define me, at least not right now. I'm aware that such thinking is a tad immature and is easily addressed by primary school level "if they don't like you because of that then they were never your friend in the first place" thinking. I may very well get a license so I can keep a pistol in my car, and I suppose keeping it in my messenger bag would solve a lot of this.

Either way [i have a bad habit of derailing even my own threads] I meant to inquire primarily as to the combat effectiveness of a Revolver due to the capacity/reloading issues and the heaviness of a double-action trigger and/or cocking the hammer manually. 

While that does not define an individual, it is better than being caught flat footed.

As to your implied original question - " the combat effectiveness of a Revolver due to the capacity/reloading issues and the heaviness of a double-action trigger and/or cocking the hammer manually. "

A revolver whether single action or double action weighs about the same for a given caliber. Reloading with a revolver can be relatively close to a semiautomatic with practice.

Point being one can accomplish the same affects with either tool based on practice and familiarity with said tool.

If your looking for someone to tell you what the exact tool you should use, than unicorns are real. That question can only be answered by practice and training with a tool that YOU feel comfortable with.

• Like 2

It was more out of general interest in firearms than advice on what to carry. I haven't shot many revolvers and had heard a lot of shooters saying that the trigger pull when shooting double-action hampers aim a bit either due to the pull being "heavier" or "longer" and I myself when I shot the S&W Governor and .460 at my local range I noticed I had to [or maybe just "tend to" slack my wrist to cock the hammer with my thumb so I was wondering how those factor into using a revolver to protect your life when fast, accurate shooting is needed. 

Maybe I was just psyching myself out when I tried shooting double-action instead of cocking the revolver between shots. 

Yeah, for the most part I plan to carry my weapon in a bag most likely if I do get a CCW. At least for right now I still don't want to be known by all my associates as "the person with the gun on themselves at all times." I could've said "Wheelguns for Home Defense" but CCW also limits the amount of boxed ammo you could have on you.

I do now see the issue that by saying "CCW" I've brought concealment into the equation as well.

If your freinds, or anyone other than maybe your significant other, know you're carrying you're doing it wrong. Seriously.

• Like 3

True, I could do with a bit more discretion. I often try to remind myself of the statement "if you have an idea that you don't say out loud it doesn't mean that thought was wasted." ^___^;; 

• Like 1

Trigger pull can be adjusted on any tool. I have a Judge that is like butter. But it is set for me.

A S&W Governor and .460 both have quite a bit of recoil and so does the Judge given what round is chosen.

A CCW tool should be something you can repeatedly pull the trigger on and not worry about wrists or thumbs.

Even a .380 can be quite affective inside 3 feet and also have horrendous trigger pull. Again it's practice with the tool and what YOU do to it to make it comfortable for yourself.

Even. .22LR can be deadly

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted_assassination_of_Ronald_Reagan

• Like 2

Indeed, the .38 Bodyguard is the most unpleasant firearm I ever tried to fire, mostly because of the grip being too small to really hold with both hands. Being as the box of ammo was only 20 rounds and I was trying to savor it I never tried speed-firing the Governor but to me the recoil wasn't terrible and the .460 recoils straight back so there isn't much aim disruption. 

People that can put 6 .44 mag rounds onto a tiny steel in rapid succession meanwhile have my great admiration. I can fire a Deagle one-handed but almost cracked myself in the head with a .44 magnum since it had so much barrel climb. 

It was more out of general interest in firearms than advice on what to carry. I haven't shot many revolvers and had heard a lot of shooters saying that the trigger pull when shooting double-action hampers aim a bit either due to the pull being "heavier" or "longer" and I myself when I shot the S&W Governor and .460 at my local range I noticed I had to [or maybe just "tend to" slack my wrist to cock the hammer with my thumb so I was wondering how those factor into using a revolver to protect your life when fast, accurate shooting is needed. 

The Airweight I have is DA only and it isn't terrible at all. If you are interested in answers for a revolver as a CCW, (whether that be as a CCW or a home defense or IWB or in a bag or however) thinking of a hammerless is the way you would probably want to go. In a situation where seconds count, getting a hammer caught while trying to pull it out of your bag could mean the difference between putting 6 rounds in someone or having them put 6+ rounds in you

• Like 3

I have carried a wheel gun for the past forty years. I only practice double action because trying to shoot single action in a tight situation is not good. I have used S&W 36 and 49 which worked well. I have also used a Charter arms Bulldog whitch is ok except for the hammer spur. I now use a Ruger Sp101 which is double action only. I have considered a double action auto, but they are heavy for what you get. I would not under any circumstance carry a non double action auto loader in my pocket fo safety reasons. I think every person should try and use what they like. They'll probaly do better that way.

• Like 3

Or you could always get one of the humpback smith and wessons... hammer is shrouded for Pocket carry but still accessible for single action use if that's how you prefer shooting. There are alot of grips on the market that will make a jframe grip larger and easier to hold but will make it harder to CC it. If you want to carry discreet it is always easier with something more compact, and you could always keep something with more firepower in your car like a carbine of some type.

• Like 2