My Saiga had a small bullet ramp cut into the breach from the factory. I just modified it slighty and it works great without a bullet guide. I've only used FMJ no round nose yet. I can now use reg. AK mags. Has anyone else done this mod ?

Edited by Johnboyjh

That is present on almost all saiga rifles and aids in loading hollow and soft points so the bullets dont get marred up in the process. Using real ak mags without an actual bullet guide installed is not something i would attempt. Just because it hasn't caused a ftf/fte in a small number of rounds doesnt mean it won't in the future. From a reliability/safety standpoint i highly recommend installing the bullet guide.

• Like 1

That is present on almost all saiga rifles and aids in loading hollow and soft points so the bullets dont get marred up in the process. Using real ak mags without an actual bullet guide installed is not something i would attempt. Just because it hasn't caused a ftf/fte in a small number of rounds doesnt mean it won't in the future. From a reliability/safety standpoint i highly recommend installing the bullet guide.

I have run about 500 rounds through my Saiga sence the mod without a failure. I'm not the best shot but I can groupe !.5 moa before and after the mod .  I enlarged and reshaped the ramp and polished it. It has fed flawlessly both rapidfire and regular. This is not a mod I recomend for everyone to do themselves  but it can be done by a competent gunsmith. If you look closely at the bullet as it is being fed into the breach , it's easy to see where the nose of the bullet hangs-up . Just radius that and polish it and bingo. 

I have run about 500 rounds through my Saiga sence the mod without a failure. I'm not the best shot but I can groupe !.5 moa before and after the mod .  I enlarged and reshaped the ramp and polished it. It has fed flawlessly both rapidfire and regular. This is not a mod I recomend for everyone to do themselves  but it can be done by a competent gunsmith. If you look closely at the bullet as it is being fed into the breach , it's easy to see where the nose of the bullet hangs-up . Just radius that and polish it and bingo. 

How does this grant you more accuracy, since your obviously a competent gunsmith?

Performing a mod on the actual ramps will do little. It may or may not work long term, but seems like a mod I wouldnt want done on a rifle, when installing a bullet guide is a more proper way to do it. But its your gun. Some Saiga's will feed fine without a bullet guide. A bullet guide would likely be easier to do, and place the round in the proper position to reliably feed into the chambe, and not botch up the breech face. The feed ramp is there for a reason, as is a bullet guide on standard AK rifles. I wouldnt suggest modding anything like that. The factory actually builds them into the non standard AK magazines for a reason.

• Like 1

How does this grant you more accuracy, since your obviously a competent gunsmith?

Performing a mod on the actual ramps will do little. It may or may not work long term, but seems like a mod I wouldnt want done on a rifle, when installing a bullet guide is a more proper way to do it. But its your gun. Some Saiga's will feed fine without a bullet guide. A bullet guide would likely be easier to do, and place the round in the proper position to reliably feed into the chambe, and not botch up the breech face. The feed ramp is there for a reason, as is a bullet guide on standard AK rifles. I wouldnt suggest modding anything like that. The factory actually builds them into the non standard AK magazines for a reason.

I understand that the mod did nothing for or aganist accuracy just relating that it did not hinder accuracy. I was not saying I was a competent gunsmith ,just saying a gunsmith could do the mod. I'll let you guys know how this works out in the longrun.Untill then, I guess I should have said "Don't try this at home". Capitalism has crept into Russia pretty heavy . I don't know if designs are always done for function or $$$. I do like my Saiga alot. After having a Wasser 10 it's night and day.I hope everyone enjoys their guns as much as I do.

Sorry John, but a 1/2" moa? Really? is that at 25yrds? haha.gif

You do realize that I have to bust your balls. But until you post pics, Im going to have to place you in the same league as another past member who claimed the 80k round count. Dont take it the wrong way. Its just very unlikely. On a good day, these rifles in this caliber are usually good for maybe down to around 1.5-2 MOA, depending upon barrel length and trigger mods. Some may be better, but again, unlikely.

Performing that mod wouldnt hinder accuracy anyways. Barrel harmonics have more to do with that than what you did. Your mod would fall under reliability aspects. But to be honest, its hard to say if you helped it any. You shoud have shot it 500 rds before doing the mod to see what you may or may not have experienced. And yes, dont do this at home. Anyone who chisels away at their chamber face is somebody thats going to eventually end up taking off too much material and cause further problems. We've seen some fucked up guns over the years here, and many could have been avoided.

Enjoy your rifle and shoot the fuck out of it. It will outlast you.

• Like 1

It's ok to piss on my boots as long as I'm not wearing my best pair. I did shoot about 50 rounds before the mod. and it would not feed with an AK mag but worked fine with the Saiga. After the mod ,it feeds fine with either mag and any different ammo. As I said earlier, I haven't tried to run any round nose through it. I'm a geezer and not very tech savy when it comes to computers but I'll try to post a pic or two if I can. As I said ,I'm not a gunsmith but consider myself a "tinker". I've built and fly my own experimental airplane, motor raced (5 time 5 state regional champion), building my own engines' built and raced my own bicycles (steel and carbon), and retired after 45 years as as a jeweler. Now I'm having fun with my guns. My next adventure may be in another life. Keep well and happy and enjoy life.

• 4 weeks later...