thinking about a 20

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those are the only pictures I could attach. I will add more soon. But the conversion is finnished and runs perfect!

You don't exactly 'look down the barrel' of an AK shotgun. Being "untraditional", they can benefit from a red dot. and, or, IMO a rear peep and front sight block. Many disagree and many agree. It's pr

Yourself CSS and their videos.   Someone else, look in the business section, almost all will do the conversion for you

Posted Images

I would spend the extra money and get a 12 gauge. I have nothing but a pain to get mine to work ok. 10 rounds is the most you can buy now and you have to work on them to make them work in the gun. I had to change parts to try to make the gun work ok. I had to have the gas ports drilled out to the right size.

• Like 1

One other question. What is the best way to mount a red dot?

QD scope mount. I wouldn't use a red dot on a shotgun. All you have to do is look down barrel.I will post some trigger pics for you soon.

Buy both if you can. Saigas are not coming back for a long long long time. These shotguns are really made for 3" and 2 3/4 High Brass.Part of the fun is playing with them to run almost anything.I try not to feed my shotguns garbage.

I was thinkin the red dot would help with slug accuracy. Or accuracy in general. Just in case the sights aren't point of aim point of impact, but i will shoot first and find out before i put any money down. And thanks on the trigger. I would like any help possible.

One other question. What is the best way to mount a red dot?

QD scope mount. I wouldn't use a red dot on a shotgun. All you have to do is look down barrel.I will post some trigger pics for you soon.

Buy both if you can. Saigas are not coming back for a long long long time. These shotguns are really made for 3" and 2 3/4 High Brass.Part of the fun is playing with them to run almost anything.I try not to feed my shotguns garbage.

You don't exactly 'look down the barrel' of an AK shotgun. Being "untraditional", they can benefit from a red dot. and, or, IMO a rear peep and front sight block. Many disagree and many agree. It's preference.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2

I have irons on my AK shotguns.They are all extremely accurate.If I cut the sights off I would still be able to hit targets for close applications. The point I am trying to make is, depending on application of course, shotguns are shotguns and people need to learn to shoot them instinctively.These shotguns are very accurate with open sights and slugs.Red dots and scopes can help most shooters.I always try to keep the weight down as much as possible.The nice thing about the AK platform is the use of a QD mount for other applications.Accuracy increases on the S20 just by adding an aftermarket front sight post.What do you do when the battery in your red dot fails?

I see what you're saying. I point shoot my handguns and my current shotgun and haven't missed any steel plates yet...but the red dot is definitely going to be the last thing I get if I get one...does anyone use the tac 47 plug on the s20?

Muzzle is unthreaded and it has a 19in barrel.

Oh and BTW I got it used and the person who owned it befor me never cleaned it...I forgot to take pics. But there was 1/4" thick pieces of carbon coming out of the gas block. And I had to pound out the gas puck. It took 2 and a half hours to clean...oh and the gas ports were basically nonexistent until I cleaned it. But It has three in clear ports.

Hold off on that until you have run it. Most people don't need to do that. And the pins would be punched with a short punch, and large hammer to get them moving. After that you pad the block with a piece of brass or aluminum and use the large hammer to keep it moving. Barrel on a block of wood, or better yet, shoulder of receiver in a vice with padded jaws.

As for the 20 vs 12 arguments... meh glad you got the 20 while you could. You can get a 12 later after you see how great these guns are and want a second one. I got a 410 for my first Saiga, then a 12 soon after, followed by the 20, then the x39. .223, .308, and the 5.45 rifles. Got the Vepr 12 last and would recommend that over the S-12 now that we have the option. Still love my S-12s though for different reasons.

Will always love my S-20 though and the 410 is also very under rated.

As said above some of them (used to be the majority) had problems with the gas ports. Before going through all that though I highly recommend the re-profiling and polishing of the FCG and bolt & carrier. It removes so much friction the gun will run much better on the available gas you already have to work with. Between that and possibly a performance puck (light weight) and lighter recoil spring it probably won't need any mods to the gas ports. I did all the mods to mine and it runs 100% now on anything I feed it, even with the wraithfaker drum, with the factory gas puck. They didn't have the light recoil springs for Saigas back in '95 so I trimmed a few coils off the rear factory spring to get it running better, then eventually replaced that with a Colt 1911 pistol spring.

For furniture I used original Russian laminate AK-74 wood and one of my Cobra's Custom steel vented HGs / heat shields for the gas tube. Mine is the long barreled (22 1/2") factory full choked barrel version from 2001. 

She's damn accurate too with the factory adjustable rib sight.  smile.png  Two holes from 25 & 35 yds... bye bye Achmed...lol.

post-1293-0-85850500-1431967920_thumb.jpg

Oh as for the Magpul stock on an AK receiver here are a couple of pics of a rifle. Will fit the same on your receiver. 

post-1293-0-72720700-1431968014_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-88104400-1431967965_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely glad I picked up my saiga 20. Its very Fun, can't wait to convert it And polish the bolt on such. Oh and is it a good idea to use the factory trigger guard or get a new one? I'd like to keep it cheap. Oh and if I get another saiga it's going to be a 410, they seem cool as hell!

So sense my gun is a non BHO model can I use a stock tapco g2 trigger?

and just grind that lil ridge for it to function.

More or less, but at the minimum, you are going to want to reshape the hammer face, so that it is not adding drag to the system.

I think you would be glad to have spent a little more time to mod a standard G2 double hook in the way I show in that link. This will get you a shorter trigger pull.

I also think it is a shame to install a trigger without polishing up everything and getting it smooth first. The improved feel is really worth it. Just get some sandpaper and read that thread carefully. Back the sandpaper with a piece of something thin and flat, like a metal ruler... 30 minutes of work now will work out to a lot of enjoyment over time.

So least you can do to most you can do with a G2:

A Least: Just grind the hump off of the axis area and install. -- Likely creates enough drag on the BCG that you have less reliability with marginal ammo.

B Next least: grind the hump and profile the hammer as shown in the trigger job thread. This is minimum recommended. 10 minutes of work with a bastard file will get you here.

C Next: do the above, plus polish the engagement surfaces on a single hook G2. This will give you a better trigger than the vast majority of AKs you will handle.

D Best: (for a G2) buy a double hook G2, true all the surfaces, and do the above. It won't work until you do the notch mod on the underside of the right hook. This gives you an overtravel stop. Pretravel can be adjusted by putting a shim under the back side of the trigger body. (See the thread!!!!!!)

As for sights and accuracy it shot 4in groups with slugs and the iron sights at 50 yards. And the tapco double hook seems pretty swee, And worth the time. It took me a bit to find the link because I check the forum on my phone and the signatures don't show up. But those posts are awesome and I will do the mods.

Oh and for the furniture I think I will make my own. I already drew up some designs when I did the ones for the drum design.

I don't think there are any specific ones made. You would have to figure out the geometry yourself, and that could end up with a bunch of ruined magazines, depending on your skill level.

ok well i think i will save the mag destruction for after the conversion and paint job. but definitely something i will try and play with one day.

if you couldn't tell already im pretty young so i enjoy my lil projects and such, but my progress will depend on my funds...so once school is out i should be able to make more progress on this. i am quite excited!021.gif