Definitely not cheap, but I am just glad to see the X54 being imported again. It was the first caliber to disappear, even before the EO, and it was the last to come back. Hopefully they will import a bunch and the pricing will come down.

Edited by Spacehog

But why would you ever choose it over the 7.62x51 version? Even the video makes the point that getting ammo suitable for the tier of rifle this is in ,54r is spotty and luck at best. 

But why would you ever choose it over the 7.62x51 version?

To me, it's not a precision rifle, it's an AK that shoots a meaner round.    I'm not sure if I'll ever end up getting one, as it's really hard to justify other than just wanting it because it's awesome.   I've pondered both the .308 and 54R, but to me the main appeal of the 54R is the ability to stack up cans of this stuff super cheap...

bul_54r_silver_tip.jpg

• Like 2

I just wish someone would come up with a double stack mag and I'd be all over one wink.png

If only those didn't have those silly rimmed cartridges! maybe someone could develop an equivalent round that is double stack friendly. Nah, probably too much to ask...

• Like 2

But why would you ever choose it over the 7.62x51 version? Even the video makes the point that getting ammo suitable for the tier of rifle this is in ,54r is spotty and luck at best. 

If there were reliable and tough 20 round magazine (csspecs basically), I would rather have a 54r VEPR instead of a 308. At least then I would be able to afford to shoot the rifle reasonably often. The S308 mostly just sits in the safe.

Classic has them in the 20" and 23" in stock for $849.

Very tempting.

But which one to get?

PSL is probably going to be at least $1200-ish to $1800 or more. SVD, Tigr, or NDM-86 {chinese Dragunov (SVD) copy} are  gonna go for several times that. PSL barrel is pretty thin & whippy, harmoncs change as the barrel heats up & group size can swell dramatically.

I've heard & read that the Vepr  has a beefier profile barrel & may be less prone to this phenomenon. As to barrel length, I'd say whichever pleases your eye the most.

Site with some good SVD/Tigr & PSL info:

http://www.dragunov.net/faq.html#psl

Very tempting.

But which one to get?

I've heard & read that the Vepr  has a beefier profile barrel & may be less prone to this phenomenon. As to barrel length, I'd say whichever pleases your eye the most.

Here is a good video which addresses the barrel thicknesses (diameter) measurements to the 23" and 27" barrel lengths of the VEPR 7.62x54R rifles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWldh-NPZA

.... although I believe his digital caliper was slightly out of zero when measuring the muzzle end diameter to the 27" barrel; it is unlikely that it would have been wider than that of the gas block portion of the barrel.  Just say'n.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

Very tempting.

But which one to get?

Here is a good video which addresses the barrel thicknesses (diameter) measurements to the 23" and 27" barrel lengths of the VEPR 7.62x54R rifles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWldh-NPZA

.... although I believe his digital caliper was slightly out of zero when measuring the muzzle end diameter to the 27" barrel; it is unlikely that it would have been wider than that of the gas block portion of the barrel.  Just say'n.

Well, there's three kinds of people; those that can count & those that can't... unsure.png

Definitely beefier than PSL barrel. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to ordering a VEPR 54R with 23" barrel, from Classic Firearms.  Yippie!  Now.... I'm in the process of ordering ALL THE OTHER CRAP that should go along with the rifle (i.e., SGM 10rnd mags, AK side scope mount, glass, flash hider, different furniture, etc., etc.)

Edited by Gary
  • Like 4

Finally got around to ordering a VEPR 54R with 23" barrel, from Classic Firearms.  Yippie!  Now.... I'm in the process of ordering ALL THE OTHER CRAP that should go along with the rifle (i.g., SGM 10rnd mags, AK side scope mount, glass, flash hider, different furniture, etc., etc.)

Congrats Gary. Judging from the pics of other firearms in your collection, I know it's going to be impressive when you are finished with it. Look forward to seeing if/when you get around to posting pics. Have fun.

• Like 1

Finally got around to ordering a VEPR 54R with 23" barrel, from Classic Firearms.  Yippie!  Now.... I'm in the process of ordering ALL THE OTHER CRAP that should go along with the rifle (i.g., SGM 10rnd mags, AK side scope mount, glass, flash hider, different furniture, etc., etc.)

Congrats Gary. Judging from the pics of other firearms in your collection, I know it's going to be impressive when you are finished with it. Look forward to seeing if/when you get around to posting pics. Have fun.

I found myself impressed with what the guy over at AK Operators Union did regarding mods to his VEPR 54R.  Most of which is explained via the following youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ma-LkZJ9Tc

I'm pretty much going to do what he did.... except my rifle will of course have the 23" barrel, and I'll put better glass on her and different forend furniture.  But you're correct; I will take photos and post them here in the forum when I'm done.  wink.png

Edited by Gary
  • Like 4

Interesting.  When I placed my order by telephone this afternoon with XLR Industries for the tactical butt stock, after inquiring with me what firearm I was mounting the rear stock to, the salesperson wanted to know if I had seen the AK Operators Union video?  After I replied that I had and such was the reason why I was purchasing their product, the guy commented that I was the third person today to place such an order with them, largely due to the video.... and that they should consider paying the dude for good advertising. 

rolleyes.gif

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

"Yippie-ki-aye!"  My rifle arrives at my FFL this afternoon.  I've managed to obtain everything for her during the past week, except for the glass and rings which are presently inbound via shipment.  So... in the next day or so I'll be clamping her barrel into my bench vice and grinding on her pinned muzzle thread protector to remove it and emplace the AKML flash hider I got for her.

Anyway, pics to follow once I get her all put together the way I want. cool.png

CIMG5988_zpsxe85eye7.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

It's kinda funny to me that the stock vepr looks more like what I would expect you to change the gun TO rather than FROM. Maybe in teak though.

I completely understand why you might think that.  After handling the rifle yesterday evening.... I gotta say, the wood is very nice and the stockhole grip is nice and full.  The rifle points wonderfully when shouldered as well.

Upon making the decision to buy the VEPR 54R, I immediately adopted a specific aesthetic vision for it, and classy wood is not a part of that vision for me.  Anyway, I'll keep and always have the wood in the event I ever decide to 'change her dress.'  smile.png  I'm going for a semi-military DMR-type look, without a bipod.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1