Slug recommendations.

Locally we are seeing the occasional longer range slug target.  My problem is I've yet to find an accurate slug for longer distances.

At 65 yards I have several combinations of chokes and slugs that give me good (under 4") groups but move the target out to 125 to 150 yards, it goes to crap.

Today I shot from sandbags at a 2' x 2' plate at 150 yards.  Holding dead center (8 MOA C-More) I was able to circle the target without a single hit.

Chokes tried are Carlson Full, LM, IC and Cylinder.  Tried several velocities of Remington Slugger, Federal Power-Shock and Fiocchi Low Recoil Aero.

Starting to get expensive throwing  1 oz chunks of lead into the berm with no good results.  Hope someone can share something that would do the job.

Thanks.

Bill

I'm having trouble understanding why you would use a shotgun for anything over 60 yards. A shotgun is simply not designed for long-range engagement, it was designed for riot control, e.g. close-range. Wrong tool for the job dude, that's what rifles are for. You cannot use a hammer as a screwdriver.

• Like 1

If it will eat them, I liked the B&P 1 oz. They are pretty light shooters though and may not cycle your gun. I hear good things about the RIO Brenneke 7/8 oz slugs but have not tried them personally.

I'm having trouble understanding why you would use a shotgun for anything over 60 yards. A shotgun is simply not designed for long-range engagement, it was designed for riot control, e.g. close-range. Wrong tool for the job dude, that's what rifles are for. You cannot use a hammer as a screwdriver.

you ever hear of a sport called 3 gun

• Like 1

They require 100 yard shots with a shotgun in 3 gun? I'm not very familiar with firearm competition. Edited by Heartbreaker

If you can find them....I've had good luck with Remington reduced recoil & a Carlson LM choke.   Usually I can get a 6"-10" group at 75 yards.

I'm going to try some light recoil Fiochhi(sp?)  this week, We'll see how they do.

Oh & I'm using a 3MOA Burris red dot.

They require 100 yard shots with a shotgun in 3 gun? I'm not very familiar with firearm competition.

At the 2015 3GN Southwestern Regional they had a slug target out to about 125 yards.

If you can find them....I've had good luck with Remington reduced recoil & a Carlson LM choke.   Usually I can get a 6"-10" group at 75 yards.

I'm going to try some light recoil Fiochhi(sp?)  this week, We'll see how they do.

Oh & I'm using a 3MOA Burris red dot.

One of the rounds I tried are Remington Managed Recoil 1 oz Slugger shells.   I'm thinking of pulling the C-More off the gun and putting on a spare rifle scope and see if it may be the indian and not the arrow.

I am giving away my secret to 100 yd. slug shots.....

1) No Choke.

2) Rio 2 3/4" Royal Star-Low Recoil 1 1/8 oz./1200 fps

NOTE: I also tried the Fiocchi 7/8 oz / 1300 fps slugs, they were not as accurate...at least in my gun.

Recently at a shotgun match we had to get (3) hits on a 100 yard steel target (9 hits total) from 3 different positions,  these are what I zeroed my gun with and they were really accurate, I think I had 2 misses out of 11 shots (it was me with trigger control when in the standing postion with gun shouldered).

The above ammo works really well in mimicking the recoil of the normal birdshot I shoot (1 1/8 @ 1200 fps) so this really helps in gun control and fast followup shots.

I have always found it interesting that guys use full power slugs in competition shooting, because there is so much of a difference in how the gun shoots and reacts to those.

Hopefully this helps.

• Like 1

That all makes sense to me, particularly the matching recoil. 7/8 oz at a velocity that matches recoil (1270) should be ideal in theory, but practice always trumps. Same recoil, flatter trajectory due to velocity.

This stuff? 

https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/category/SGS0/12-GA-SHOTGUN-SLUG.html 

This one seems like it ought to be a very good performer too:

https://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/category/SGS0/12-GA-SHOTGUN-SLUG.html#

Being an old southern Michigan whitetail hunter, I can attest to slug accuracy out of smooth barrels. Normally anything over 100 yards is a crap shoot. Unless you have a rifled barrel and are using 1800-2100 fps sabots...

Best I get with my 1919 at 100 yards is about a 10 inch group. That is with 1200 fps rem sluggers. Also the 7/8 oz Fiocchi work.

After about 100 yards, even with 1600 fps standard foster slugs, you will be hard pressed to find a smooth barrel that will hold any semblance of a group...even with a rifled choke.

imho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ
  • Like 1

I finally got a chance to try the Fiocchi slugs this afternoon.

8" 5 shot group at 100 yards.  Carlson light mod choke 22" barreled Tooth & Nail MKA with a 3 moa Burris fastire

slug%20group_zpskkzg1rpb.jpg

fiocchi_zpsfewa6egs.jpg

Edited by JeremyT
  • Like 1

That group looks very similar (or slightly worse) than I've seen in both my Akdals (one XN and one pre), using a stable position, aimpoint and Fiocchi 7/8s @ 1300.

I havent seen much difference between IM, M or LM, all extended briley chokes.