my boss got one years ago, his best buddy took delivery of it, went to test fly it, the wings buckled, it crashed, and he was paralyzed from the waste down. My boss stuck with his Cessna after that.  

I got interested in Ultralights in the early 80s and they did flight training for them in a Cessna 150.  I took a few lessons and got hooked but got a regular pilot's license instead and eventually bought an old Cessna 150F.  Hooked on aviation I got my A&P license and learned to fly helicopters.  Don't get too tied up in flying cheap, used ultralights have little value and are not built and maintained to the standard of certified aircraft.  Go to a local FBO, take some lessons and see if you get the flying bug before you spend too much money. 

Doug

• Like 1

caught the gyrocopter bug a couple years ago. Spent time to go through training. Been up a few times in ultra's over the years, saving for a 2 seat sparrow hawk. Rent regularly on Sun. mornings for fuel and trade for time spent helping repair/restore owners 30's bi-plane. I'm an a$$ for detail, and guy I help (owner) is same way. When in town (180 miles from main home) for weekend, sometimes sleep at hangar, get so involved.

• Like 1

Had a supervisor, years ago, that told me a story.

His buddy bought one that needed repair. He fixed it and my boss flew it, kinda..

He got it off the ground, struggled to maintain control, and then was barely able to land it.

One of the wings was pitched a bit different than the other!!!!

Planning on flying around DC someday....?

Edited by Sim_Player

These days, a lot of people go for these, made in my town:

http://www.cubcrafters.com/

They are basically updated improved versions of the basic piper-cub design, but made to fit into categories that are easier to license and cheaper to own and operate. They seem to be doing pretty well. Considering how many cesnas I have seen gathering dust, that says something.

I got interested in Ultralights in the early 80s and they did flight training for them in a Cessna 150.  I took a few lessons and got hooked but got a regular pilot's license instead and eventually bought an old Cessna 150F.  Hooked on aviation I got my A&P license and learned to fly helicopters.  Don't get too tied up in flying cheap, used ultralights have little value and are not built and maintained to the standard of certified aircraft.  Go to a local FBO, take some lessons and see if you get the flying bug before you spend too much money. 

Doug

I know a guy that went down in one, too. They scare the absolute shit out of me personally.

i think really it boils down to if you a cheap hack or just on a limited budget... anything can be made safe with the right amount of attention to detail.  no offense to anyone who went down in one of course...

affordaplane. 6k and allegedly folks have made for as lil as 3500?

http://affordaplane.com/

• Like 1