Just wondered how many Saiga 7.62s have the original sport furniture . I think I'll leave my sport furniture on. I've grown to like it. I adapted a cheakrest from an AR platform that snaps on and off and gives me the height needed with optics on. With optics off I just snap off the rest and the stock is back to normal.

At first the only thing I did was paint the hand guard and stock od green.  Then I wanted to do a conversion but because I live in CA, anything with a pistol grip needs a bullet button, which made me not want to go that route.  I also bought some original Saiga clips from ebay and I would like to keep using them.  So far the only things I could find that you can change on an unconverted Saiga are the hand guards, stock, and trigger.  I ended up putting a tapco hanguard, dinzag trigger job, and tapco stock on my saiga.  Well lets just say it doesn't look too pretty since I opted from putting the pistol grip on it just to keep it CA legal.  As of know I plan on just leaving it like that because I've spent too much on adding new guns to my collection and optics for my rifles.  If you are going to keep your saiga unconverted I would definitely suggest getting the dinzag trigger group and some SGM magazines that I truly enjoy because they keep the bolt open once you fire the last round.  

• 4 weeks later...

Mine had the synthetic sporter stock at first. Then I found a factory wood sporter set that I like a lot. The pistol grip area has more curve to it where the synthetic one almost felt like an English stock. I still consider it my "poor mans" Mini 30.

I still consider it my "poor mans" Mini 30.

Because accuracy and reliability don't cost as much. wink.png

Considering I purchased mine in 2007 and the stock a year later with everything totaling about $370 all told, life is good. And it's as accurate at 100 yards as my buddy's Mini 14. I don't know when he bought his, but he said he had it a long time. Assuming it's one of the older ones. Those things look like a bitch to clean! I'm always done a long time before him. A lot to tear down with those. And with all the stories I heard about the Mini 30s with steel ammo.........well, I think I'm better off. From what I'm reading these days the new 14s are more accurate and the new 30s will eat steel ammo with decent accuracy. Mines good to minute of torso on feral cats, fox, coyote and anything else after the chickens. So I'm pretty happy and good to go with what I got.

I always liked the handy feel of a lightweight carbine.  One of the first "fun" rifles I bought was a SKS paratrooper back in the early 90's for busting pigs and general plinking.  The AK is great, but a handy carbine configuration just feels good to me.  I live in Texas where freedom still reigns supreme.  I have converted several Saigas including the front end to 74 milspec.  

I was looking for another SKS to replace the fun paratrooper that I had and decided to stick with a sporter Saiga.  I also have a spare trigger group out of one of my other Saiga conversions that I did a trigger job on (thank you youtube) and the factory skeletonized stock that goes on any new Saiga coming into my home until I get a chance to convert it.  The Saiga is superior in every way to the SKS.  

I currently have a non converted 7.62 x39 that I just put a bullet guide in so that I can use cheap magazines.  I cut the lower tang off of the receiver and will be fitting a Tapco FDE stock and handguard to it.  If I use a Tapco or other US made magazine, I will have 922r compliance.  I picked this up to be a handy pig buster.

I must say though.  It wouldn't take much to remove the trigger guard while I am into it...  Damn "Firearm OC" disorder.

Edited by Forge
  • Like 1

Considering I purchased mine in 2007 and the stock a year later with everything totaling about $370 all told, life is good. And it's as accurate at 100 yards as my buddy's Mini 14. I don't know when he bought his, but he said he had it a long time. Assuming it's one of the older ones. Those things look like a bitch to clean! I'm always done a long time before him. A lot to tear down with those. And with all the stories I heard about the Mini 30s with steel ammo.........well, I think I'm better off. From what I'm reading these days the new 14s are more accurate and the new 30s will eat steel ammo with decent accuracy. Mines good to minute of torso on feral cats, fox, coyote and anything else after the chickens. So I'm pretty happy and good to go with what I got.

I definitely meant that in favor of Saigas. Meaning the Minis cost more and aren't as good of a rifle or value.

• Like 1

Considering I purchased mine in 2007 and the stock a year later with everything totaling about $370 all told, life is good. And it's as accurate at 100 yards as my buddy's Mini 14. I don't know when he bought his, but he said he had it a long time. Assuming it's one of the older ones. Those things look like a bitch to clean! I'm always done a long time before him. A lot to tear down with those. And with all the stories I heard about the Mini 30s with steel ammo.........well, I think I'm better off. From what I'm reading these days the new 14s are more accurate and the new 30s will eat steel ammo with decent accuracy. Mines good to minute of torso on feral cats, fox, coyote and anything else after the chickens. So I'm pretty happy and good to go with what I got.

I definitely meant that in favor of Saigas. Meaning the Minis cost more and aren't as good of a rifle or value.

It's all good Brother! ;)

I can tell you a Mini 30 aint got shit on this.

attachicon.gifSaiga hunter #2.JPG

attachicon.gifSaiga hunter in light.jpg

Looks like a twenty incher. Did your stock come with yours or did you pick it up later? Because if you picked it up later, you can attest to what I said about the difference between the factory synthetic and the wood sporter stocks. Another nice touch is a Mojo sight. With that barrel it'll probably help accuracy even more than it did with mine. I forget who made it but I also have the cross-hair front site. Just line up the two circles. Naturally that steps the price up over the original $370 for the gun and (later) factory wood stock, but it's still less than many plain-jane factory guns out there that offer nothing extra. Next step might be a side mount and scope.  Mine has a lot of rounds through it so the action is pretty well worn in and smoothed out.

Edited by KevininPa
  • 1 month later...

I have an unconverted Saiga I bought new when they first came out with the dimpled receiver about 8 years ago.  I paid 250 for it (!), which is the best 250 I ever spent in my life.  I have left it completely bone stock (I live in Kalifornia).  

I wish someone made a stock for it with an LOP about 1" shorter.  Basically, the same design but shorter.  Does anyone know where I can go for something like this?  This rifle has had thousands of rounds down the pipe with ZERO malfunctions.  I absolutely love this baby.  I want to upgrade it a bit, but I want to keep it in its original sporterized format.  I am thinking about installing the Krebs keymod rail as well.

Any advice on how to obtain a shorter stock would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.