First Saiga 12 - Mag Lock/BB question

I'm about ready to take posession of a S12 that was originally purchased in 2000 and other than in the factory test, has never been fired.  It is bone stock, with what appears to be a 19" non-threaded barrel.  It is complete with the plastic oil bottle, little metal AK tools kit, and cleaning rod & bore brush.

I'm unfortunately in California (its a great place to live except when it comes to politics, taxes, and firearm laws) so I have to install a BB/Mag lock before I can bring it into the state. 

So my first question is whether anyone has a recommendation of either of these two mag locks:

http://www.midwayusa....saiga-12-gauge

http://www.ammobros......ducts_id=5106

Thanks!  I'm sure I'll have many, many more questions and spend a lot of time searchig the forums after I have it in my hands.

Better use google to search the forum for "california"

Yes, I tried that first before posting and found nothing that addresses my specific question.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

If anyone has experience with either mag lock, I'd be grateful for your opinion(s).

2015-05-15_23-40-30.jpeg

Can't help you there, but I know this sort of thing has had developed discussions before.

I suppose the most telling thing is that people are ordering both and there are not lots of threads entitled "help I am having problems with Brand X bullet button" That generally means that they are doing fine. Problems generate web traffic. Function of a boring part doesn't. 

If you look here:

https://youtu.be/jzE9u2fN110?t=4m29s

It looks as though a few very pointy bullets might be used as the tool, but generally you would need something flat and thin. It requires holding the tool in a deliberate way to release the mag. I could see this being a little fiddly. I think the normal box around the standard lever design, like the one on midway, makes it a little more certain that the tool will stay in place while you remove the magazine, but it is tough to say without both in hand.

The radlock one appears to be aluminum, which could wear quickly when using CSSpecs steel magazines.

A second thought is that you could essentially make the radlock by hacksawing the lever off of your factory mag catch. Replacements are not expensive. if you can play with an S12 in a free state, stick something thin like the handle of a piece of cutlery up there and see if it is a nuisance to release the mag this way.  I just tried it using a nail clipper and My IZ108. It would work OK, but with the CSSpecs mags, there is an interference between the tool and the spine on the mag. You would need a curved tool to avoid the interference, or grind the spine on the mag a bit. I would probably do both. The conventional design would not have this problem, because it is working against the back of the factory lever, about 5/16" clear of the spine.

Edited by GunFun

Thanks.  Yea, I came to the same conclusion myself and decided to get the one on Midway, since I was getting some other goodies from them anyway.   I'm interested to get this puppy in my hands and see how it cycles various shells and determine what sort of work it needs.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

BTW, when you use the designation "IZ108" what are you referring to?  (I'm assuming IZ is IZHMASH)

Edited by sbsyncro

Syncro, where are in Cali are you?  Have you checked the Solar Tactical maglocks yet?   

I'm in SoCal.

I think those Solar Tactical BBs (like many others I've seen) are only for converted Saigas, where the trigger group has been moved forward into the traditional AK location.

Thanks.  Yea, I came to the same conclusion myself and decided to get the one on Midway, since I was getting some other goodies from them anyway.   I'm interested to get this puppy in my hands and see how it cycles various shells and determine what sort of work it needs.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

BTW, when you use the designation "IZ108" what are you referring to?  (I'm assuming IZ is IZHMASH)

IZ-108 is the first style of these imported to US. the most common S12 is the IZ-109. the difference is that it has a sort of vent rib  on the gas tube. Mine has been messed with a little over the years:

I need to work on my photography and get some better pictures of them, because this is the best I have on hand:

gallery_17871_820_30123.jpg

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/820-build-2-iz-108/

Edited by GunFun
  • 4 months later...

Finally replying back to this topic, since I've installed the BB I referenced above and brought the S12 home to So Cal last week.    Now that I have the S12 in my possession I can see that it does indeed have the rib above the gas tube (which looks almost like an optics rail).  The front sight seems to be adjustable for elevation with a small thumbwheel.  There is no threading on the barrel, and from the front face of the bolt to the end of the barrel, it looks to be a bit over 22" (maybe 22.5 or 22.8 inches).

It is stamped with a "99" twice on the left side of the receiver - once in front of the serial number, and again just above the rear of the mag opening (immediately below the plant or proof marks).

Now I'm trying to decide what to do next with it, other than take it to the range tomorrow and try a few various loads to see how it feeds.

I've done quite a bit of searching on here and I have not found a detailed breakdown of the model changes by year.  Only the configuration information shown at http://www.saiga-12.com/ which is either incomplete, or the barrel measurements are being done differently than the ATF does it, since I have a 22.8" barrel and adjustable sights but no threading on the barrel end.

Anyway, I'll probably be posting more on here now that I have the S12 in my possession and can start tinkering a bit.  :-)

Edited by sbsyncro

On the saigas you won't find any meaningful changes in the external features for any model which would be likely to affect a bullet button. Different models offer different forends, gas blocks, rear sight blocks, but they all have the same trigger guard and mag release. Possibly the LRBHO models have  a different stamping there.