Leaving for Gulf Shores in a couple weeks

So the wife just booked us a condo on the beach in Gulf Shores, Al for five days. Gonna load up the Tahoe and drive down from central Il. with the kids.

We've never visited Gulf Shores but it seems like a nice vacation destination.

Does anyone live or vacation here? I'm kinda just looking for a few recommendations on things to do, good places to eat, etc. I don't mind a day or two of hanging on the beach, but I get bored with that pretty quick. I like to do a little exploration.

Any recommendations would be appreciated if you're familiar with the area. We're booked for the first week of June so I've got a couple weeks.

Yep, I live down here in Mobile.

Fishing, shelling, swimming and snorkeling on the beaches

Fishing on the Gulf State Pier

Helicopter tours, Parasailing & Dolphin cruises

Air boat rides & gator cruises on the Mobile Delta

Charter fishing, inshore, nearshore & offshore

The Wharf has shopping/food/movies/concerts and a Ferris Wheel

There is Waterville waterpark, Adventure Island amusement park and Hummingbird Ziplines

Walking trails and nature watching in the Gulf State Park

Alligator Alley is cool and will kill a few hours

The Battleship USS Alabama in Mobile

Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo, small but nice

Spear Hunting Museum in Summerdale

National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola

Give the wife carte blanche for shopping at the Foley Outlet Center and the shopping district in Fairhope

Fort Morgan and walking the beach at Ft. Morgan Point

Brunch buffet at the Grand Hotel/Resort

Bellingrath Gardens, walk the gardens, take the river cruise

Food, wow is that a huge question, there are loads of good eats.

Let me work on that one.

First week of June?

We should get together and meet.

I'm staying in Foley on June 4-6 for a short near home fishing/sharking vacation.

I can keep you busy fishing all day on the pier and all night sharking on the beach.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 3

Lulu's restaurant in Foley is a great place plus the Naval Aviation Museum is fantastic, I could spend a day there. Last time I was at museum there was a retired gent there that used to be an aircraft mechanic in the military and we struck up a conversation with him, he showed us about the giant cut away piston engines that they have on display. He was very knowledgeable about them and even schooled the museum's staff on them. Don't forget the Flora-Bama for eats and live music on the beach.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input so far! Looks like we won't be struggling to keep entertained.

Chile it would be a blast to go fishing/sharking! Looks like you know how to do it up by the pics you post.

I've never fished salt water in my life so I'd be way out of my league. Walleye and Pike at the club is as exotic as I've ever experienced.

We are actually arriving on the first and leaving on the fifth. We are going to have three kids in tow, so my bets are that the wife won't let me escape for a day but damn that sounds fun.

I really do appreciate the suggestions so far. I plan on referring back to this thread when we are there.

Been a few years but there was a restaurant named De Soto's in Gulf Shores not far from the beach that had really good sea food and would cook your catch if you brought it in.  Also took the kids on a Dolphin cruise just down I-10 in Pensacola Beach. The Naval Air  Museum is also well worth a stop in. For a family trip Gulf Shores is kind of a well kept secret.

• Like 1

Make sure you eat at LAMBERTS CAFE IN FOLEY AL. Last time we went to Gulf Shores we ate there twice. Look them up on the net [ home of the thrown rolls ] pretty good food and they have a fun atmosphere . I was down and the walked by and spilled pepsi / frozen molasses on the table I about climbed out of the booth , but not 1 drop came out. If you ask for a roll they will pitch it across the room to you if you don't catch it they will throw another . It is a good atmosphere especially if you have kids and close to the Tangers outlet shopping center.

• Like 1

DeSoto's is an excellent suggestion, a definite place to eat.

Hit the Florabama for lunch or dinner and drinks, bar/grill straddles the State Line on the beach.

My wife and I have always been pleased with the Original Oyster House.

Wintzells has the best Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce in the world.

Lillians for gourmet pizza, its in Perdido Key Florida, supposed to be very good.

Local for pizza, try Crico's Pizza & Subs

Doc's for some good seafood, very relaxed atmosphere.

The Village Cafe on Pensacola Beach has great food & the best breakfast.

There is a Panini Sandwich shop in Fairhope, forget the name, fantastic... It was on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

Lamberts is good.

Nolan's

Tin Top

Big Daddy's

Wolfs Bay

Mikees

I could go on and on.

• Like 1