Try Before You Buy Shops in SE Michigan

The normal advice I hear is to shoot a gun before buying one, but not every shop does this. Of course I'd love someone in my area to be able to say "X Shop will let you try a gun on their range before buying it." but I know that isn't hyper-likely so I'd also ask if anyone has pointers on how to look for such shops?

I thank you for your help.

The best advice I can give you is to do an Internet search for gun shops with a range in the area you are willing to travel, call them, and say, "I am looking at 'X' models to purchase, and want to see how they fit my shooting preferences before I buy." The key is to be specific on what you are interested in. Most shops that have demos to rent will be happy to accommodate if they know what you are looking for. Just don't expect them to carry demos of everything out there. I also believe that if someone is willing to put forth the extra effort to help me find what I am looking for, it is worth paying a little extra for the customer service.

• Like 2

I've also been meaning to ask: How does that process work? Like what are the costs involved and what if it turns out I don't want the pistol they ordered on my behalf?

Ah, so I'd be hoping they have the model I want or something comparable that I could rent? I usually go to Top Gun in Taylor and I know they have nothing like the M57 I still really hope to buy and Firing Line replied to me via email that they don't have an "AK Pistols".

I realize I'm being somewhat petulant in insisting on a 7.62x25mm pistol when all advise is to not get one as my first and only pistol but I thought if I could put a hundred or two rounds through a M57 or a CZ52 I could get a good idea if I'd want one or not and if some of the issues given would bother me. If I'm going to be snotty I might as well put forth the effort to make up for my bullheadedness.

yeah, I could see someone there having some sort of Tokarev if not a factory-new M57. I could at least see if its a fun round since admittedly I still believe there is a rather good chance it will only ever be shooting paper since I don't live in Detroit [even then chances of having to shoot someone in self-defense aren't all that high].

When push comes to shove I doubt a .45acp or other pistol round is going to do profoundly different damage to a person so until I've got real discretionary money my guns will range toys that can conceivably  mortally wound an attacker if needed.