So shortly after the EO passed I grabbed one of the x39's that MAA had for sale with the intention of just letting it sit there for a few years and then maybe selling it as a collectors piece down the road or maybe converting it.

I've come to realize that's a poor decision for two reasons. One. I never sell guns. Just my own personal thing. I'm not even saying its a good idea. But once I buy a gun, its with me for life. Two. Right now there is an abundance of saiga parts at reasonable prices. I doubt ill be able to say the same thing in ten years.

I'm one of those guys who likes Aks and ar's. but to honest, I spend more time with ar's. but I love my Aks.

Anyways, I have two saiga x39s. One is unconverted, the other is an arsenal something something. To be honest it's at a family members house where I do most of my (infrequent) long gun shooting. Bullet guide, fcg, bulgy brake, Warsaw stock, which is waayyyy to small for me. )

My end goal with these is to have one that's a Russian red. Ironwood furniture, traditional scope ( I'm not even sure what that is yet, haven't had a chance to look )

The other, I want to be more modern. Ctr stock, lsch, Texas dogleg rail etc.

So I'm looking for a vendor to do the conversion. But I'm also not sure what to convert to what.

So I'm looking for some input as to a vendor. I love the resin that Tromix uses, and I'm hoping he'd do it. I know he generally sticks with a few types of things but I've got my fingers crossed. Also, for reasons I'd rather not into, I'd like to not use tac47 or lone star. So what do ya'll suggest?

I was tempted to chime in "do it yourself" when I saw your post but I figured somebody else would say it.

If you have a "known" smith do it then you'll be able to "name drop" but if you do it yourself you'll feel that deeper sense of pride.

I have had gunsmiths work on my guns and I have worked on them myself.  There is no comparison.

The only issue that I'd have is filling the extra holes.  The easy options can look OK but I'd want the holes welded up and I can't do that myself.

• Like 1

^^ this. I'm not afraid to work on Aks. I just don't want to. To be honest i work on more complicated mechanical things everyday. Doing that all day than coming home and doing more work just doesn't interest me.

My two biggest things are, as darth mentioned, welding up the holes, and stupidly enough, I want a nicer paint job than anything that comes out if a spray can. And im not tooled up for resin.

I'm hoping for Tromix dad. Ive talked to someone in his shop and they said to email him. Its on my listing things to do. I love his finish. Hoping to send both sets of bolts/ carriers to cobra for a nice polish job first. One would get a lsvch. Then I'd love to send both to Tromix with all the parts. All he'd have to do is assemble, weld, and paint. (Still not exactly a small task)

Fwiw I should note that I have no intention of making my "modern" ak a magwell. I already have enough issues keeping track of my ak mags ( combloc, us mags, tapco, Chinese. ). I'm not adding magwell to the mix. It's Rock and lock all the way