Chamber chamfer troubles!

Its been awhile since I last posted on this site. My saiga was having feeding issues, after some research I decided I needed to extend the chamber chamfer a bit. The rounds were JUST BARELY clipping the chamfer, edge, but it was enough to cause malfunctions. So I took a half round needle file and slowly went at it. after a bit, I noticed that the chamfer seemed to be getting smaller. 

I never considered myself bad at geometry, but apparently there was something wrong with my logic, I thought that if I filed the edge of the chamfer, that I would be able file it down to lower its edge a tiny bit so that the bullets could slide into the chamber without clipping the edge. But apparently something went wrong. Help would be much appreciated! I think it is still salvageable, If I take it to an actual smith, they should be able to extend it downward for me a bit with a dremel. But I have no clue how I managed to do that. If possible, id like to know if there is a way I can extend it myself. I'm not too handy, but if there are any easy fixes, that would be great! 

HERES A PIC BEFORE THE FILING

post-49747-0-63699200-1433038538_thumb.jpg

HERES A PIC AFTER THE FILING

post-49747-0-03577700-1433038562_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the crappyness of the second pic, let me know if you want to see it at a different angle! At first I thought it was the light, but I don't know, my eyes can't be that bad! 

I would suspect a problem with the bullet guide before messing with the barrel.

How was it attached?

The rounds should "jump" off the ramp and into the barrel. The chamfer just acts like a funnel.

Try different ammo.

Edited by Sim_Player

A few people that have done this mod to various AKs usually use a round or conical stone, I believe.

Just as an example, the SLR-106 series have a ramped chamber from the factory, but those rifles also have different bullet guide geometry. It's not a common feature of any other 5.56 AK that I know of.

Using the CSS bullet guide, I've never had any feeding issues with mine, and so no need to ramp the chamber.  Mine has fed FMJ, SP, HP, and BT just fine. I would also say your unique bullet guide may be a problem.

Hmm, I thought PERHAPS the bullet guide might have been the issue, but nothing seemed too off to me. But in that case, I will have to send it back to century, I don't have the tools to break that weld and replace the guide and I'm kinda broke at the moment lol. BUT I've owned the rifle for less than a year, HOPEFULLY they will be able to fix it. I've heard their customer service is alright and they can be pretty reasonable, but we shall see. I'm going to have to wait quite a while before I send it off, I'm leaving for Marine Corps basic August 10th, so I'll be pretty occupied for awhile. But If I get it shipped out sooner than that, and they get it back to me in time, I'll let you guys know how it all goes and whether or not they actually managed identify and fix the issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed something semi disturbing 1zf7lma.jpg

This is my Saigas magwell, and it looks very out of spec. If you look at the edges, you can see that the left side of the magwell is extended way further and at a slightly different angle. This can't be normal, or is it? 

I just noticed something semi disturbing 1zf7lma.jpg

This is my Saigas magwell, and it looks very out of spec. If you look at the edges, you can see that the left side of the magwell is extended way further and at a slightly different angle. This can't be normal, or is it?

You used Saiga and Spec in the same sentence! :o

I don't think that is an issue, every AK is a little different. It's why we have to fit the mags to the gun.