Thinking of Sending My 433 to Legion for Conversion

I don't believe I can do it myself due to my general lack of tool knowledge and the fact I get frustrated easily with fiddly stuff so I know the LRBHO would have me throwing things at things so I figured I'd send it to people I know are skilled at converting Saigas.

Thing is they have 3 tiers of conversions and I don't know what I really need/want. I'm thinking of taking the middle path and getting the 165 dollar job, mostly because I'm pretty frightened by the 350 dollar version's cost.

Could anyone advise me on what is a good idea and/or the pros of each tier and why one might need the top tier over the mid tier one?

I've had two shotguns converted by Legion and was very happy with the results and customer service.

I just went with the basic conversion package on both.   There is not much functional difference with the final products.   It is basically about cosmetics.   With the basic service they will use a bolt-on trigger guard and put rubber plugs into the old unused holes.   The upgraded services include things like riveting a proper trigger guard on and welding up those holes  The "authentic" package includes a pistol grip plate which does increase the strength and make it less likely that the receiver will be damaged if the gun is dropped on the grip, but this is usually only considered a necessity with a folding stock.

If you just want to be able to shoot your Saiga the way it was intended, the basic package will serve your needs.   The rest is mostly aesthetic and the value depends on personal preference.  If you have the money to spend and want the holes welded and trigger guard riveted, I have no doubt that they would do a great job, but it could be argued that that money would be better spent on quality magazines, especially if all you have are the SGM/AGP types.

Also, I believe that their standard pricing is for Tapco furniture.   It's well worth the extra cost to upgrade to a KVAR stock and the pistol grip of your choice.  You can PM Legion here on the forum and Alex would be happy to go over your options with you.

Edited by SGL
  • Like 1

They are really not hard to convert unless you want a barrel chop. Shortening the barrel will change the gas pressure and might limit you to really hot rounds.There is plenty of blogs o how to save yourself some money.If you really don't want to do it make sure it is fully converted with pistol grip.you can put any kind of stocks on them.

• Like 1

I'd go for the $115 option. I wouldn't want a welded on trigger guard. A welded trigger guard doesn't leave you with many outs if you change your mind on the style of guard later. Plus if you decide on permanent attachment, you could always have one riveted on later.

Edit; I'd also provide my own parts.

Doing the conversion yourself shouldn't require touching the LRBHO at all. You might be confusing that with the manual BHO which can be a pain.

My $.02

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

I love legion but if I was doing a basic conversion if do it myself I bought my 433 already converted cause at the time they where offering a factory 8 rounder with the converted one vs a 4 rounder with the non converted one unfortunately it doesn't come with a pistol grip nut hole

I'm not really handy at all so I don't think I could do the conversion myself, no one in my family owns guns but me and none of my friends either. I really have no support system in this respect. 

It's really quite easy, the hardest part was removing the old trigger guard and (depending on replacement stock) cutting off the tang and shaping the end. The fcg is fiddly, especially the BHO and that bastard pin retention spring (which I replaced with a plate for obvious reasons).

Tromix or CSS trigger guard with integrated PG but are extremely easy to install. You basically need a drill, dremel, punches, hammer, needle nose pliers and screwdrivers and you can do it.

When I did my first saiga conversion I had never used a drill it took me 3 days to drill the holes cause I was doing it counter clock wise when I finally realized what I was doing wrong I finished that same day I don't even have a dad that showed me how to use tools or anything you can do it if any do it for the personal satisfaction you'll learn so much more about the weapon system if you can dissasemble a ak you can do the conversion

• Like 1

So in actuality the 165 package might be the worst idea due to the welded trigger guard?

It looks like Legion is in the middle of redoing their website so I can't double check but I don't think they do any welding of the trigger guard.

I think your options are either bolt on, or riveted.   I may have caused this confusion in my previous post, but to clarify, the welding I mentioned would be filling the holes in the receiver left by the extra trigger parts.   Again, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with Alex at Legion either by phone or PM.   He's always been very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

The $165 option says (said) welded on trigger guard (most likely the re-using the stock trigger guard). $115 option is bolt on and $350 is riveted, with welded and blended sporter holes.

Well, that's what it said anyway. I can't get to it now.

That is correct, we are re doing our website, and gunsmithing service page will have its own section, and will be modified to include more service. We appreciate your patience while we iron out all the bugs, but for the most part this new website is a major improvement over the last one. Checking out should be much easier now.

As far as converting your 433 it is entirely up to you. Basic conversion will do the job just fine, and keep more money in your pocket. For the collector who is interested in all of the finer details to be correct, I would recommend the authentic conversion. Whichever route you decide to go, that 433 needs to be brought to it's "proper" configuration!

• Like 3