So inight of some recent developments, I feel it's worth directing some money towards rifle chambered pistols.

I'd like to stick specifically to to 556 and 39.

I'm hoping to pick up 2 39 pistols. Really don't know much about them. Hoping to get something nice.

Looking to get 3 ar pistols. Honestly, the whole pistol/ rifle caliber thing slightly eludes me. It's on my list, but its like 12 out of 25 things I want. But if I can buy stuff I want now at a cheaper price....

Well. Y'all get the point.

Given how ar's are, I'd rather just buy what I need to make an ar pistol and that's it. A rock river trigger gruop works the same no matter what, eh?

I'm thinking about barrels and tubes only. Or as my buddy pointed out, pistol uppers and be done. (Which , admittedly, is attractive.

So, what would y'all do?

(Sorry to post so late. Ill respond first thing tommorrow)

There is a company called MAS Defense that sells some pretty sweet AR uppers for decent prices.  Their 10.5 keymod upper is very damn tempting to me.

I had and sold a 10.5 5.56 upper from Hardened Arms and it was meh.

I still have the 10.5 300blk upper I bought from Hardened.  It's not bad for the price.

The 2 AR pistols I built recently are on Anderson pistol-marked lowers.  Both were built as pistols but both are now configured as rifles.  The option to change them back remains.  As you probably know, rifles may not be converted to pistols but pistols may be converted to rifles and back.  It's just another example of how stupid the nfa laws are.

In x39 I have the Put Bull (M92 sbr) and I love it.  The Draco is also a super option.  Been tempted by one of those too.

On a general note I think anything shorter than 10" is giving up too much barrel for a rifle cartridge.  Others will disagree.

• Like 2

If you shop around you can build a nice AR pistol for $500 or less but you have to take your time and shop for the deals

I just got done with this one tonight and it was right around $560 and it has every silly add you can put on an AR from extended takedown pins to extended mag release, ambidextrous safety selector, cmc flat trigger, and spikes lower.

The 7.5" uppers are very loud! and the 10.5" is not that bad about the same as 16"

So just do your home work and you can can build one for next to nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by JC GoF
  • Like 1

I run a 10.5" FN-barreled PSA upper on my SBR and it's been great. I payed $300 for mine but I've seen them on sale for $270 + free shipping. They just had that deal on Memorial Day as a matter of fact.

On a general note I think anything shorter than 10" is giving up too much barrel for a rifle cartridge. Others will disagree.

Not if you're trying to simultaneously shoot the target and light it on fire at the same time.

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for the posts. Sorry, work went to crap yesterday. Darth, been looking at mas defense. They do have some nice stuff, thanks for the info.

On a side note, I don't understand the "marked" lowers thing. Here in illinios if you buy an ar or an ar lower, you have to wait 3 days before you can pick it up, because it could be made into a pistol. They never ask about marking or anything. Is that a state law? ( illinios law requires a 3 day wait on all handguns and a one day wait on all long guns before you can take receivership.)

Im probably going to go 10.5 on two and 7.5 on one, well, cuz why not? :)

I run a 10.5" FN-barreled PSA upper on my SBR and it's been great. I payed $300 for mine but I've seen them on sale for $270 + free shipping. They just had that deal on Memorial Day as a matter of fact.

On a general note I think anything shorter than 10" is giving up too much barrel for a rifle cartridge. Others will disagree.

Not if you're trying to simultaneously shoot the target and light it on fire at the same time.

Now that's just funny. Tromix has something similar on their site about how he recommends wearing gloves with short sbs's to prevent burning knuckle hair.

Been looking at the dracos. Does anyone else aside from century make them? Overall from what I've heard, I'd just as soon not buy anything from them. But I have heard alot of good about the mini draco. I know there is some o pap n pap something something controversy about the receivers heat treating. I'm trying to find the tread.

Thanks again guys I appreciate the input

I have never burnt knuckle hair, even with 3" loads in a 6.5" barrel. The knuckle hair burning may have something to do with muzzle devices redirecting gas/fire back to the user. I don't use muzzle devices other than the CNC Warrior 4 piece or a regular factory style choke. I haven't noticed enough benefit from anything else that would condone the extra bulk and weight  on a SBS.

• Like 4

Century doesn't build dracos they import them. Dracos are build 100% in Romania and pistols don't have to follow 922r.

Thanks for the clarification. I was cruising gunbroker for some basic information and a few were listing century as the manufacturer which I thought was a bit odd since the general response to the quality of the Draco had been good.

I have never burnt knuckle hair, even with 3" loads in a 6.5" barrel. The knuckle hair burning may have something to do with muzzle devices redirecting gas/fire back to the user. I don't use muzzle devices other than the CNC Warrior 4 piece or a regular factory style choke. I haven't noticed enough benefit from anything else that would condone the extra bulk and weight  on a SBS.

You came to mind when I read that. I remember when you built the one in your avatar- looks awesome. Makes sense what you say, glad to hear my knuckle hair isn't in danger :)

• Like 1

The marked lower is just a sign of intent.  There are no laws anywhere that I know of about marking pistol receivers.

Generally speaking factory built pistols will have different serial numbers than the rifles of the same design as an indication that it was originally a pistol.

When a bare receiver is purchased the NICS will be run as "other", regardless of how it's marked.

I see people saying you should take pictures of your AR pistols when you build them as proof that they were pistols first.  I am not aware of a single case where that was necessary, but when dealing with Uncle Asshole, it's better safe than sorry.  So I bought marked lowers because they were available for the same price so why not.

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification darth. Learning that, ill probably just do the same thing you did. 75-150 for a lower receiver is worth the headache. If I'm itching to build another ar ill just buy another lower. Those seekins look pretty cool.

Anyways, looked around a bit and I think I'll get a Draco in wood and one in "tactical " poly. Mas has some stuff ill probably order, but any more companies anyone wants to suggest? Seems like there's too many to chose from. If like some help narrowing the field with previous experience.

When i picked my lowers* up from the ffl i simply mentioned that id like to declare them as pistol lowers and handed over the purchase permits and that was that. In light of some of the internet rumors i might be adding a couple more lowers to tuck away just in case.

*Eta: lowers. I meant lowers. Im a derp.

Edited by LuPiN8oR
  • Like 1

When picking up AR lowers from my FFL, I have never been asked once or had to declare if I was building a rifle or pistol out of it. That was with multiple lowers from multiple FFLs. They were always processed as other during the NICS process. I sure am not going to declare them one way or other unless I have to at the time of transfer.

As far as building an AR pistol upper or buying one complete, I would rather build than buy. It's more fun and I like the option of being able to run the components I want. That said, right now you can buy pistol uppers cheaper than you can build them unless you get real frugal, which IMHO defeats the purpose of building it like you like it to begin with. +1 on nixing traditional muzzle breaks on an AR pistol. The short barrels help tame recoil to begin with. I do like the Levang compensators quite a bit however. Especially with a 7.5" barrel. They direct the muzzle blast forward which helps make them seem less loud to you while shooting and also don't punish the shooter next to you.

As far as AK pistols go, I have the PAP M92 and a Mini draco. I actually enjoy the Mini more, and it makes for a very compact balanced SBR. Regardless, you can't go wrong with the Draco, mini draco, or the PAP IMO.

• Like 2

Century doesn't build dracos they import them. Dracos are build 100% in Romania and pistols don't have to follow 922r.

Thanks for the clarification. I was cruising gunbroker for some basic information and a few were listing century as the manufacturer which I thought was a bit odd since the general response to the quality of the Draco had been good.

You came to mind when I read that. I remember when you built the one in your avatar- looks awesome. Makes sense what you say, glad to hear my knuckle hair isn't in danger smile.png

It recently went through a few changes. I may post a few picks somewhere if I can get around to taking some decent ones.

• Like 1

Some compelling arguments for both sides. Maybe ill just split the difference.

My initial June plan was to pretty up my vepr 12 plus some ammo and maybe a 22lr optic. Now I'm thinking 2 556 completed uppers from mas defense, 2 sig braces, aaannnnnddd. Maybe if I figure it just right and don't buy lunch for like 3 months. A mini Draco.

• Like 1

So inight of some recent developments, I feel it's worth directing some money towards rifle chambered pistols.

So I have been of the grid for a while. What's going on? Another potential EO?

DOJ and ATF are determined to get rid of rifle caliber pistols. The attempt to ban M855 fell apart when an overwhelming response to public comment was against it, prompting many to hound their representatives. Now it appears the DOJ is pushing to end public comment period on rule changes altogether, allowing them to arbitrarily make law without informing the public beforehand.

No specifics on how they will accomplish yet, but rifle caliber pistols and ammo is definitely on the hit list. With a lame duck president and administration however, they will likely move before next year.

• Like 2

Hey guys sorry for being Mia. Started a new job and 4 1/2 hours of commuting sucks. Can't wait until this one is done.

So I have been of the grid for a while. What's going on? Another potential EO?
DOJ and ATF are determined to get rid of rifle caliber pistols. The attempt to ban M855 fell apart when an overwhelming response to public comment was against it, prompting many to hound their representatives. Now it appears the DOJ is pushing to end public comment period on rule changes altogether, allowing them to arbitrarily make law without informing the public beforehand.

No specifics on how they will accomplish yet, but rifle caliber pistols and ammo is definitely on the hit list. With a lame duck president and administration however, they will likely move before next year.

Exactly. With the fumbling on the rulings on the sig brace, that whole attempted penetrator ban, the doj wanting to reevaluate what constitutes a pistol, and holders replacement, to me, it couldn't be more clear what they plan to do ( at least in this respect, I'm sure they have all sorts of other ideas.)

I have no doubt that within a year, rifle chambered pistols will be reclassified as an NFA item. Possibly as an aow but maybe as an entirely new category forcing a state by state response. That should mess things up for years.

And worst of all? They'll just say, " well look, Americans can still own one if they want" the majority won't even see it for the back door ban it is. All in the name of safety.

I had originally planned to buy two mini dracos, three ar uppers (2 10" and one 7.5) and 5 braces ( those marked uppers darth mentioned were also interesting but i need to find a cheaper local ffl) Unfortunately, someone was nice enough to hit my car while I was parked on the street. No note, no cameras, nothing. That set me back a bunch so for the time being its just going to be one 10" ar upper and one brace. Hopefully things don't get stupid before fall and I can pick up the rest. At least with the ar's I can just buy the specific parts and not the whole gun.

I save a lot of money bringing my lunch every day.

Actually my comment was kind of just a jab at myself. Truthfully, I only buy lunch maybe twice a month, I work all over the place, so if I'm near a good place I know I'll get something, but that's pretty rare.

Also, since I'm in service, I don't have a fridge or a microwave, so I'm pretty much limited to sandwiches. I can't stand both the texture and the price of lunchmeat, so I've find a good solution. I look for chicken breast, spiral cut ham, pork tenderloin, and a few other things on sale. Ill make it on Sunday and make a bunch extra, use for sandwiches during the week , and freeze the rest and use it in rotation. Real meat at 2 bucks a pound beats that stuff in the deli case at 6 bucks a pound

Edited by fatty alcohol

I have no doubt that within a year, rifle chambered pistols will be reclassified as an NFA item. Possibly as an aow but maybe as an entirely new category forcing a state by state response. That should mess things up for years.

I definitely see the possibility of a reclassification.  As I said I'd give it 50/50 due to the inevitable backlash which may or may not matter.

But if they do reclassify, I'm sure it will be AOW.  That category already exists in the law and would only require another "clarification" by saying rifle-pistols aren't meant to be fired with one hand.

If you think about how idiotic it is to say a pistol with a vfg is no longer a pistol, then a rifle caliber pistol really isn't a pistol either by that "logic".

I'm betting they wish they had nipped this whole thing in the bud by ruling the first rifle-caliber an AOW.

Edited by Darth Saigus

post-3200-0-88276300-1434251648_thumb.jpg

Anybody got the SB47 on their AK pistol?

IO Nano M214, from castle nut forward of brace is US Machine gun mech. Did a Krylon camo 3 color finish. Base coat baked, other 2 not, so can easily change to seasons or preference.post-3200-0-98590900-1434248064_thumb.jpgFinish has a chameleon effect in different terrains, brown, tan or green has tendency to break outline well. Edited by Ruffian72
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just buy a single pistol upper, and slap it on all the AR lowers you have already stockpiled. Take a pic with date. Those are all now pistol lowers that can be built into their own pistols or rifles later, as you see fit.

Then get one of those Zastava NPAP pistols in x39 and/or 5.56. They are very nice. The 5.56 has a plastic mag adapter that allows it to take AR mags.