Only prob is those guys in vegas said yugo stuff is consumer gaaaaahbage. Says surprisingly wasr and dracos best.

Yeeeessss, thats true, but I feel that the way WE would typically use it could extend the life to a reasonable length, without being problematic. If you plan on putting down 20,000 rounds a month like in Vegas, then there may be better options.

• Like 1

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for the posts- I appreciate it. Sorry, I'm wrapping up a job tomorrow that's had me commuting 4+ hours a day. Doesn't leave a alot of time for posting but I hope to catch up later this week ( thought don't know where I'm going next. )

Aggravating to drive that much, but it keeps my family in a nice area and my life mostly out of Chicago politics.

Although I will say, I know I asked for advice, but dammit darth, stop posting companies with tons of stuff I want to buy! :)

Thanks again guys.

Well thanks to darth I'm thinking of getting a yhm 10" with a spikes upper from mas defense. Still looking into what barrel since I know diddly about ar pistols.

Also a small bonus! Realized my change jar is pretty full. Looking to spend that on a hardened arms upper. Can't figure out why they're so cheap. Willing to buy one though. Thanks darth.

Not too hard to figure why pistol uppers are cheap these days.

Once upon a time Sig did make a silly looking thing they called a pistol brace.  And the gun community laughed heartily at them because they knew the gubermit would never allow the silly brace things.  But the gubermit did write a scroll proclaiming that the silly brace thing was blessed and good, and that using the silly brace thing in the completely unintended manner of placing it against the shoulder did not change the silly intended purpose.  And there was much rejoicing, and the gun community did purchase many score of the silly brace things, and many score of AR pistols, and pistol uppers, and pistol barrels.

And this led the makers of pistols and pistol barrels and uppers did ramp up production and did produce many scores of scores.

It was a happy time but alas the gubermit is fickle and they did rescind their decree and they proclaimed that touching the silly brace thing to your shoulder was wretched and bad and would surely cause the gubermit much anguish.

And so the people who were clamoring for AR pistols suddenly lost interest.  But the warehouses were full of pistol barrels and pistol uppers and so the makers did the only thing that makers can do when they have scores of things that people aren't buying.

They are selling them cheap.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 7

Not too hard to figure why pistol uppers are cheap these days.

Once upon a time Sig did make a silly looking thing they called a pistol brace.  And the gun community laughed heartily at them because they knew the gubermit would never allow the silly brace things.  But the gubermit did write a scroll proclaiming that the silly brace thing was blessed and good, and that using the silly brace thing in the completely unintended manner of placing it against the shoulder did not change the silly intended purpose.  And there was much rejoicing, and the gun community did purchase many score of the silly brace things, and many score of AR pistols, and pistol uppers, and pistol barrels.

And this led the makers of pistols and pistol barrels and uppers did ramp up production and did produce many scores of scores.

It was a happy time but alas the gubermit is fickle and they did rescind their decree and they proclaimed that touching the silly brace thing to your shoulder was wretched and bad and would surely cause the gubermit much anguish.

And so the people who were clamoring for AR pistols suddenly lost interest.  But the warehouses were full of pistol barrels and pistol uppers and so the makers did the only thing that makers can do when they have scores of things that people aren't buying.

They are selling them cheap.

.... which means it is a great time to file a Form 1 and build an SBR with a real stock on it ;)

• Like 2

Just buy a single pistol upper, and slap it on all the AR lowers you have already stockpiled. Take a pic with date. Those are all now pistol lowers that can be built into their own pistols or rifles later, as you see fit.

Then get one of those Zastava NPAP pistols in x39 and/or 5.56. They are very nice. The 5.56 has a plastic mag adapter that allows it to take AR mags.

A good trick for documentation if it needs to be dated of course is the old newspaper thing but you can take it a step further and get your digital photos processed at walgreens or similar and have a CD printed. Not only do you have a good archive, it is time stamped by their computers and you will have a receipt of the CD and prints.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a rough couple months- between having to pay for auto body work after something hit my car, replacing my hot water heater, and going to urgent care to get some bruised ribs checked out, I've changed my plans.

I'm only planning on buying these because I do think they'll be NFA items within a couple years, but to honest, for myself, it's an answer to a question I didn't ask. I know some guys like them, and more power to you, but for me, I think I'm better off spending the rest of the money I had reserved for this project on stocking up on mags for the stuff I do have.

Thanks for all the input guys. If they're still available when I get the chance, I do plan to go to hardened arms, mas defense and Atlantic

Good idea buying ammo first, all our tools are worthless without that. If you have a few stripped lowers don't worry about it. I personally think the democrats took their best shot at the 2nd amendment already, and nothing stuck. Those stripped lowers are money in the bank though, also SB15s and shockwaves. If you physically have them already I think you're good.

I just started my 1st AR pistol build and its not bad if you just but one or two parts at a time. If you wait for sales and get everything with free shipping its even better. I picked up a 10.5" barrel from Aero last year for $140 and just got their bolt carrier groupe this week for $110. Everything over $100 is free shipping.

Edited by Vance665
  • Like 1

I'm comfortable my M92 will outlast me. I haven't seen a rash of reports of failures. Just the one place where they run them continuously fa every day.

ah, ya i suppose. and they are not designed to be indestructible. i just had a desire for one for awhile but the noisy factor is what annoys me.  i guess folks like the flaiming pig style "noise forward ejectors"?

• Like 1

Thanks GOB.

Yeah. Had a good reminder with the ribs for a few weeks. Evidently did not learn my lesson as I shortened one of my fingers a bit today trying not to shut down an elevator divorcing an old piece of crap. Hey. At least no one appreciates it. Hopefully enough grows back for Monday.

Not sure if you heard before you retired. The new policy is to donate $3 for each member killed on the job each quarter. Been going on a year it so.

Haven't given less than 6 each quarter.

We are one if the smallest unions.

Tired if seeing decent men die for the dollar.

Good to see you made it GOB. Doubt ill be as fortunate

• Like 2

Thanks GOB.

Yeah. Had a good reminder with the ribs for a few weeks. Evidently did not learn my lesson as I shortened one of my fingers a bit today trying not to shut down an elevator divorcing an old piece of crap. Hey. At least no one appreciates it. Hopefully enough grows back for Monday.

Not sure if you heard before you retired. The new policy is to donate $3 for each member killed on the job each quarter. Been going on a year it so.

Haven't given less than 6 each quarter.

We are one if the smallest unions.

Tired if seeing decent men die for the dollar.

Good to see you made it GOB. Doubt ill be as fortunate

Beside the crushing,falling and puncture dangers, do not overlook the CHEMICAL!

I have had my liver shut down from contact cleaner, and been covered with asbestos dust (we used to re-line brakes on the old AC units in the machine room,and sand them in to the drum!) . Of 3 second cousins that were born within 18 months and went into the trade, I am the oldest and the only one left alive. Al, the youngest died of brain cancer 4 years ago. Norman died this Feb. Maryland was the secondary fallout zone for over 50 nuclear blasts, so what factor the chemicals or the radiation had is not clear, BUT .........

Do not take any unnecessary risks!

Elevator Constructors - the only people CRAZY enough to climb into moving machinery to repair it - KNOWING the equipment is FUCKED UP and ANYTHING can happen!

• Like 1

GOB

Hard to "like" the post. But I hear you loud and clear. I know a litany of men killed in this trade. As I get older, many are those I've know and called friends. Last three were a man working on freight doors ( doors go up and down not side to side). Door came down and crushed his skull. He had a hard hat on. 400lbs. Didn't matter. He died slowly and painfully over the next 3 days. 2 months later I was doing the same job that got him killed.

Another went to a shutdown call. Looked in a hoistway( multiple elevators) counterweight of a running elevator hit him, folded him in half, threw him down 10 floors. Probably never even felt anything.

A friend if mine went to shutdown elevator. No one knows what happened but he fell down the hoistway. 35 feet. He survived only because he hit alot of stuff on the way down. Good man. Still missing alot of chunks of his face.

Sorry guys. Way the heck off the point here. My mind is elsewhere as I git news the other day a former coworker I still talk to got pinned under a truck on his motorcycle. Cracked skull, eye socket, broken ribs both sides, broken pelvis both side, multiple lacerations , amputation on left leg and more other crap I care to repost tonight.

Union or not guys. Be safe. Goodnight.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

There is a company called MAS Defense that sells some pretty sweet AR uppers for decent prices.  Their 10.5 keymod upper is very damn tempting to me.

It was tempting enough I bought one with the 11.5 barrel.  From my informal research 11.5 seems like a good length, giving meaningful velocity increase over 10.5 and surprisingly close to 14.5.

There are several barrel specs to choose from when you order an upper.  I went with a 5.56, 1/7 twist, 4150 CMV, and Melonite Nitride coating.

The upper is basic but everything seems right on initial inspection.  Shipping was 7 days.  I ordered last Friday.  Got it today.

The pics are crappy but at least you can get the idea.

post-4831-0-72215500-1446249792_thumb.jpg

post-4831-0-64654500-1446250009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

So inight of some recent developments, I feel it's worth directing some money towards rifle chambered pistols.

I should thank you for opening my eyes to the M92. Since your initial post I have picked up two and sourced the ever so scarce yugo underfolders. I am getting the ball rolling on a trust and hopefully applying for my first NFA stamp by the end of November. Goes to show what people share on a forum can be influential. Thanks for the push!

• Like 2