Assistance Request: Locate m5-0.50 x 12mm bolt

If anyone can point me in the direction of where I may procure a single m5-0.50 x 12mm bolt (preferably a button or pan head) , I would be greatly appreciative.

I've been able to locate metric m5-0.80 bolts everywhere.... but the "fine thread" m5-0.50 apparently is no where to be located via the interweb.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

~Gary

Edited by Gary

At the risk of overly simplifying your quest, have you tried ACE? 

In my recent post (I've only done 3 I think) I mentioned that I added some set screws to a G2 trigger for the purpose of adjusting the pre travel/over travel.  After a couple trys I've settled on a 0.40 size - super tiny, takes a 1.2mm allen key. 

My Home Depot and Lowes didn't carry these, but they were available at my local ACE.

In the past when I couldn't locate something obscure, they've almost always been able to find the part or tool in question through their super-secret catalogs.

I go in with the assumption that I'll pay 50% more than a similar product at the big box hardware store, but it's worth it if they're the only place to have it.  Not to mention the fact that they actually know what "s-e-r-v-I-c-e" means. 

They are extremely difficult to find. I have searched the Internet in the past as well and have come up empty. IIRC this is the thread pitch for the VEPR handguard screw? I may be incorrect, but I think many that have needed a longer screw have had to re tap to a more common thread. Hopefully, others might have a source for you. Good luck.

• Like 1

At the risk of overly simplifying your quest, have you tried ACE? 

My Home Depot and Lowes didn't carry these, but they were available at my local ACE.

In the past when I couldn't locate something obscure, they've almost always been able to find the part or tool in question through their super-secret catalogs.

I go in with the assumption that I'll pay 50% more than a similar product at the big box hardware store, but it's worth it if they're the only place to have it.  Not to mention the fact that they actually know what "s-e-r-v-I-c-e" means. 

I don't have an ACE near me; Lowes and Home Depot, yes.  I appreciate and understand the suggestion, thanks.

They are extremely difficult to find. I have searched the Internet in the past as well and have come up empty. IIRC this is the thread pitch for the VEPR handguard screw? I may be incorrect, but I think many that have needed a longer screw have had to re tap to a more common thread. Hopefully, others might have a source for you. Good luck.

YES, this bolt is to replace the OEM forearm sling swivel bolt to my new VEPR 54R.  The OEM bolt will not work the way I want it to with the new forearm handguard that I'm installing on the rifle.... and modifying the existing bolt is not an option for me; such would prohibit the bolt's use with the OEM wood forearm if I ever decide to switch back to it.

That's a tough one. The only .05 pitch I can find are M4... http://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium/titanium-bolts-dome-head.html?thread_pitch=319

Yea.... too bad that site does not offer a 5M bolt in this thread pitch.

Drill up to and tap to M6?

NOT an option; I want to be able to reinstalling the original wood forearm if I so choose.

Edited by Gary

You live in WA, so that means you are near fastenal or tacoma screw. Call one of them up and order it. Even grainger or mcmaster carr.

I telephoned Fastenal and McMaster yesterday.  Alas, both were NO-GOs.  Weeding through Grainger's website, I suspect no difference. 

I might have found a solution to my dilemma.  I've ordered the below part from eBay, it's coming from Taiwan.  It's listed as: "XON tanium Screws For CAMPAGNOLO Derailleur Adjustment ,M5xP0.5x13mm."

_12_zpsol30phhs.jpg

I'm confident that so long as it correctly threads into my VEPR's handguard retaining socket, I can make it work.  I will simply need to do a little cutting and grinding on the bolt's head to reduce much of the material that you see here.  wink.png

Necessity is the mother of invention after all.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 4

Gotta say, it's rather frustrating as a new VEPR owner to come to the realization that this (locating a replacement or alternate forearm screw) has been an ongoing challenge for us owners for a long time.  One would think that someone; one of the venders here at Saiga-12.com, or even over at THE VEPR FORUM, would have manufactured or produced an option for the U.S. enthusiast market.  Alas... apparently none of them are listening.  Heck, it's not like developing and marketing new magazines.  Admittedly, I know shit-from-shiola in that regard, but I would think the initial start-up or retooling costs for bolt manufacture would be minimul.  Unless I'm wrong, there does exist a big need for these. 

Just say'n.

cry.gif

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

Gotta say, it's rather frustrating as a new VEPR owner to come to the realization that this (locating a replacement or alternate forearm screw) has been an ongoing challenge for us owners for a long time.  One would think that someone; one of the venders here at Saiga-12.com, or even over at THE VEPR FORUM, would have manufactured or produced an option for the U.S. enthusiast market.  Alas... apparently none of them are listening.  Heck, it's not like developing and marketing new magazines.  Admittedly, I know shit-from-shiola in that regard, but I would think the initial start-up or retooling costs for bolt manufacture would be minimul.  Unless I'm wrong, there does exist a big need for these. 

Just say'n.

cry.gif

I believe that did happen, but the source dried up. The topic is familiar.

• 2 weeks later...