if you have time give this a listen. going on close to 60 yrs old myself and growing up with this great music....WTF did it go wrong? these guys go on for 23+ mins with no fail how does it get any better. along with all the other great musicians of the 60's & 70's....what the hell happened?

• Like 6

An audience that is on acid, coke, etc. has a greater attention span when it comes to long songs/sets. It was probably much easier to sneak stuff like that into a show back in the day. Times change. Guitar and drum solos just aren't as popular as they used to be and "guitar rock" is pretty much long gone. From a business perspective, musicians are working and there is a need to get packed up and gone to the next show as a result of music being so commercially motivated. Money.... it's a hit!

Agreed.

The 60's & 70's were a great time for music.

There has been a lot of good music since then, but nothing will capture the feel of the music from back then.

That "feel" was essentially guitar rock. Boston!

• Like 3

50s,60's, 70's and some early 80's ( can't leave out the hair bands ).

All of my kids like our music as well as some of the new stuff.

Funny how the new music contains the old notes and beats......

Years ago at work, we had the radio going in the computer room and it was a co-worker's (good guy) day

to pick the station, which was always "urban contemporary" stuff.

I started singing along with one of his hip hop tunes and he was amazed I knew the words, "How you know the words white boy?"

I said, "Because that song was done many years ago by the Beatles."

The blank stare was priceless!

haha.gif

• Like 5

50s,60's, 70's and some early 80's ( can't leave out the hair bands ).

All of my kids like our music as well as some of the new stuff.

Funny how the new music contains the old notes and beats......

I said, "Because that song was done many years ago by the Beatles."

Who?!

No you idiot, not The Who...The Beatles!!  032.gif

Who are the Beatles?

No they're not, they're completely different people. Different group altogether!

laugh.png

Back in the late 70's, my best friend bought a new album. When he got home, his Dad asked him what he got. I went something like this.

(Really! I was there for this! Rolling on the floor I was laughing so hard!)

Dad: So, what album did you get?

Buddy: Yes!

Dad: Who's the band?

Buddy: No, Yes.

Dad: What's the name of the group?

Buddy: YES!

Dad: Are you going to tell me what you got?

Buddy: YYEESSS!!

Dad: I swear I'm gonna kick your butt!

Buddy: IT'S YESS!

Me: laughing so hard at this point I'm no help to either of them.  :rofl:

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 5

rock music is dead, Millennials have no interest if it doesn't go "beep boop bop blorp" with some tone deaf girl talking over it.

I listen to the local "rock" station time to time, and even if the band has a guitarist, solos and virtuosity is gone.

"Dazed and confused" is one of my all time favorite guitar and drum laden songs. We will never experience music like that again. That's what makes it special.

Great station for us old music lovers. I listen to the bands mentioned in this thread daily..... http://www.classichitswnyq.com/ Hit the "Listen Live" button. Like any FM station, there is some bullshit, too. 

Edited by YOT

It died with the ugly people.  Today they look for pretty people and make them stars, back then you could be butt ugly as long as you could play...it was all about the music, not the look. (If you ever get a chance, check out some of the Midnight Special DVD's from the 70"s....really, some great performers)

Edited by 6500rpm
  • Like 4