IIRC they had really heavy rails on them. Is that the troy I am thinking of, or is the troy a lighter alternative to the tankish quads they first came out with?

Don't know how heavy the Troy rail is.  I just know Troy has a good rep.  Maybe that's just the Alpha...

I'm not much of a fan of quad rails, even light ones.

I went through a brief phase of liking quad rails but I got over it.

I'd replace the forend with a UTG Pro SS anyway.  Best forend on the market for the money.

I was tempted by this deal but I have no problems with my DI guns, and I already have other plans for my gun money this year.

All of the above, except the wanting a quad phase applies to me. I only want sommething comfortable to hold with a rail across the whole top, and places to mount rails wherever else needed.

I don't know about the .223 version, but with the SR308 or whatever it is called, it has some non-standard stuff which means you can't use a standard forend to replace their quad without a lot of mods. The rest of the gun is appealing, but that is almost a deal breaker on a cheap gun, and is definitely one for me at that price point. For $899, if you actually can ditch the quad, this sounds like a good deal.

And that UTG rail looks pretty clean.

I wish they made a left handed version.  Years ago I mailed Mr. Ruger.  He did not answer.  Recently I re mailed Bill a letter about South Paws since he is one.  He still has not answered.  Is he well?  I for one think Ruger Inc. may have future problems as a company.  Just me.  Respectfully.  Left Handed HB :)

Your wait for a reply from Bill will be a long one I'm afraid.

And the part about not being able to replace the forend is news to me.  If the upper receiver is somehow different and you can't use standard forends, then I wouldn't touch this rifle at any price.

I would certainly check into that before buying one.

• Like 1

I wish they made a left handed version.  Years ago I mailed Mr. Ruger.  He did not answer.  Recently I re mailed Bill a letter about South Paws since he is one.  He still has not answered.  Is he well?  I for one think Ruger Inc. may have future problems as a company.  Just me.  Respectfully.  Left Handed HB smile.png

Bill SR died a few years back. That's why they make stuff like ARs in the first place. He had to get out of the way with his Fudd bias before his son could give the customers what they want. SR kind of thought either you were an idiot or you were the type to buy the single shot model 1 or a cowboy pistol, and his firearms showed what he thought of you.

• Like 1

Don't know how heavy the Troy rail is.  I just know Troy has a good rep.

Troy had a good rep for quality, and that may still be the case. However, they now have a bad rep among gun owners, especially military-style rifle enthusiasts, because of some recent hiring. First they hired an anti-gun ex-Chicago police commissioner. After the outcry they fired that guy, then decided it would be a good idea to hire one of the Ruby Ridge snipers as an instructor. Because of this, many of their customers walked away and refuse to buy anything Troy.

Well after a quick search for information (cause I don't take single source info about anything ever) I will never be using a Troy product. 

They hired Lon Horiuchi's spotter who testified that if Lon didn't take the shot he would.  Then Steve Troy defended this by saying "During this type of confrontation when people die, you don’t have the ability to pick sides, they are drawn before you arrive. Dale did what he was trained to do as a sniper / observer."

Guess  with that logic, Steve would hire Auschwitz SS guards since they didn't get to pick sides and they only did what they were trained to do.

I find myself very glad I don't have anything with the Troy name on it.

• Like 2

I have the SR762 and it is a very high quality firearm. The nice thing is that they left the handguard smooth and slim, but with the ability to screw on rails if you want the quad rail. I just put a short piece of rail for a bipod and the grips that came with it to make it a little fatter for my bear paws. Keeps the weight down and looks good too.

• Like 1