Sorry. No luck on a Kentucky soldier. I'm usually pretty good at rembering members and that one doesn't ring a bell. Didn't remek have a ptr he liked? Can't remember. Best of luck. Looking into ptr this week myself.

...PTR 91, He said it had a heavy barrel and that he was very happy with it as far as accuracy and fit and finish. I wondered if his opinion of it was still the same. 

Obviously I cannot speak for him, but regarding my PTR-32 (as is with the majority of PTR rifles; regardless of caliber), yes; it has a heavier profile; thicker diameter barrel which provides for consistent point of impact on the target (although PTR did come out with a "G.I." varient, which has a slimmer, tapered profile barrel).  One of the biggest negatives regardng the PTRs (as well as the H&K G3 battle rifle/civilian H&K 91 rifle for which they are clones of) is... how heavy overall that they are.  With PTRs specifically, due to the thicker barrel, they're goinig to be slightly heavier than a standard H&K 91 rifle.  BUT, if your intent for use of the rifle is as a plinker or firing range rifle, it's weight isn't an issue (in fact, it assists with absorbing recoil during firing).  On the other hand, if you view the rifle as a SHTF-type of weapon, or one that you intend to tromp around in the woods with... you'll likely not be pleased with its weight.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

Does go back away... Scoutjoe and saltpeter were members back then... Hope he's doing well where ever he's at...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPatfgoNBRo

I don't remember Kentucky Soldier either. I have handled a PTR 91 at the range though. I ran a mag through it and it functioned well. Didn't see any hiccups with it that day.

• Like 1

Well ... life is sweet and very short?  Maybe he moved on?  Or just perhaps he goes from forum to forum over time like lots of us here?  I for one have moved away from prior favourite forums due to changes in hobbies and lifestyles.   Hot Volves, (go figure) HAM operation, Chevy pickups and others are an example.   HB

• Like 1