MOLOT magwell / recent developments?

I've been off the Saiga 12 circuit for a while, so I am totally oblivious to anything that's happened in the last couple years.

I see that CSSpecs has released a steel mag for the S-12. I further saw that these can be made to fit / special ordered for the "MOLOT Saiga 12 magwell". I found one of those magwells for like eighty bucks or so. I kinda hate rock and lock with the S-12 mags, so this is mildly interesting to me. Questions:

1. Can this magwell be installed in my IZ-109? I get that some gunsmithing would be involved.

2. Does this magwell let my gun take VEPR-12 mags and drums?

3. How hard is it to modify my existing AGP mags for the magwell? Just dremel off the front lug?

Sorry for being behind the times!

Here's my take...

The only issue I thought might arise with using a Vepr12 factory type magwell, is the boss' for the magazine latch pin on both the magwell and receiver are in a slightly different position between Saiga12 and Vepr12. The Vepr12 magazine latch pin sits slightly closer to the bottom of the receiver than on a Saiga12.

I personally used an SGM magwell for a Saiga12 to convert my S12 to magwell and share the more readily available factory mags with my V12.

I had to open up the front of the Saiga12 receiver to the same dimensions as the Vepr12, so the magazines would seat fully into position. I also had to sand the inside of the SGM magwell for the V12 mags.

Was it hard to do, not really. Was it worth it to have reliable and interchangeable magazines between the two? Absolutely.

It's not 100% what you were looking for info on but you may consider a Saiga12 competition type magwell to fit your needs. Then clearance it for the V12 mags.

If you put a magwell on your S12, do it to use Vepr12 mags, that way you don't have to modify the S12 magazines too. Otherwise you're doing twice the work. CSSpecs also makes Vepr12 magazines.

Sell your rock and lock mags and buy Vepr12 mags instead.

2a9y25j.jpg

Now about the AGP magazines, here is my thread on how I modded those as well...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/83302-agp-mags-in-your-vepr12-yes-you-can/

The question is ...Why waste the time? There are much better already functioning options on the market.

I only modified one magazine and in my opinion, it's really not worth the effort.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 3

I believe those SGM magwells are dimensionally cloned from the JTE magwells. I could be wrong, but if that fitting was not difficult, I would give my cash to Jack 10/10 times on this one. It is aluminum and well made. He put in the work to get the product on the market, and does good parts support. The cost between the two was JTE $95 SGM $85 last time I looked. SGM one is glass filled nylon, IIRC.  I have been very pleased with it. The only reason I would ever consider any changes would be mag commonality with a pool of veprs/ S12-030.

I used the SGM magwell because I had it laying around in my "S12 extra parts box" for about 2yrs before I bought my V12. 

It's definitely not the end all be all. It was one of those, "I'm not buying another magwell to try when I already have this one", type of decisions. And I think I got it when they were on sale from the S12 e-store with a discount coupon too. IIRC it was $65 ish.

I block sanded (with coarse paper) the inside of the magwell to fit the V12 mags. It wouldn't be that easy to do with aluminum.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 7/12/2015 at 6:30 AM, Mullet Man said:

I used the SGM magwell because I had it laying around in my "S12 extra parts box" for about 2yrs before I bought my V12. 

It's definitely not the end all be all. It was one of those, "I'm not buying another magwell to try when I already have this one", type of decisions. And I think I got it when they were on sale from the S12 e-store with a discount coupon too. IIRC it was $65 ish.

I block sanded (with coarse paper) the inside of the magwell to fit the V12 mags. It wouldn't be that easy to do with aluminum.

How much material (approximately) did you have to remove from the magwell? Was it a drastic amount? Did you remove material from just the inside front wall of the magwell or front and back walls?

What all else did you have to do if anything to get the V-12 mags fitted and to lock up in your saiga? Latch work etc..? Do the same mags run in both your V-12 and S-12 (meaning no fitment issues between the two using the same mag/mags)?

Considering the different angle that a V-12 mag presents a round v.s. a S-12 mag, have you had feeding issues? 

I agree the biggest hurdle with fitting a molot magwell is the mag latch "boss" and magwell ears. The V-12 "boss" is damn near twice as wide and pin holes are not the same either. The molot magwell unfortuately is not the best option.

Definitely not drastic. 

I sanded more on the sides and front than the rear. It was literally sanding to fit, no power tools. 

I changed the mag latch at the same time to an ambidextrous extended version (brand escapes me), I used the same one on my V12 too. I don't recall doing any fitting to it. But i also do not recall if there was a difference between it and the factory S12 latch (the factory latch MAY have been shorter). I'm sure i have mentioned that info in my postings on here, somewhere. 

You have to open up the receiver towards the front , otherwise the V12 mags will not seat. I took the magwell off of my V12 and measured the receiver opening, then mirrored that on my S12.

Have no issues with feeding. I only have Vepr factory mags (5's, 8's, 10's) and they all fit and function in my V12 and my S12. 

• Thanks 1

Copy that, thank you sir.

I was suspecting that using two of the same mag latches would be the way to allow the mags to interchange and fit/function properly between the two. Fit mags to V-12 then copy to latch to be installed to S-12 is how I would probably attempt it.

Its good to hear that the difference in angle of presentation hasnt caused feeding issues as well.