It's time to sound the alarm!

Locally in WI we have had little to no reproduction in the mallard population this year.  I've got better than 60 mallards in the backyard, but no ducklings.  Last year at this time there were about 120 ducklings for the same number of adults.  The hens this year were either frigid, or they had a bad time on the nests.

I'm really worried that hunting this year could cause a population crash like we had in the early 90's.

US Fish and Wildlife, and so far the WI DNR aren't doing a thing after both have been notified.  So it looks like WE have to do it!

Pass it on all along the Mississippi and Horicon Flyways.

On the good side, my Ghost came back to me!  She's a cream colored hen almost white.  She was one of my ducklings last year.

• Like 1

Kill Giant Canada Geese instead, they're displacing all the Mallards in the midwest anyway. I honestly have no idea why mallards are still legal to be hunted until we put Geese on open season like wild boars. Once the Geese population has been reigned in Ducks can return to proper numbers. 

• Like 2

Even with the geese, no reproduction of the mallards is a bad thing!  That and we haven't had that many geese this summer, though I did knock one senseless with the wrist rocket this spring.  Try to bag every flyin shitbag I can during goose season. (1 a day)

And then some days I get lucky on the first shot!

post-46782-0-28561200-1436315004.jpg

• Like 4

The geese are awful, and the 'migratory breeding' laws and even worse. They should be changed to disinclude Canadian geese, cuz they are destructive and nasty and there are tons of them.

Edited by Heartbreaker
  • Like 2

We have  seemingly tons of Canadian Honkers out here in SW OR USA.  You want any?  When on the ground they are quickly becoming very easy around humans.  Just like the other good eating local critters ... the many white tail deer.  We can almost walk up to and feed both out of our hands.  Probably not a good idea but they are tasty.  I call the honkers B29s because V shaped flights go over all the time and even way up high they look as big as .... Boeing B29 bombers.   That and they HONK!  HB

• Like 1

Basic and advanced aerodynamics and physics which every B29 knows and understands.  Reduces the energy debt for flying very fast, very far, very heavy and very long.  They trade off when the leader gets tired.  They communicate about this quite well ...  HONK HONK HONKY.   I have counted both even and odd numbers of "V" flights.  Smart fuckers ... they know exactly how far a shotgun will reach.  HB :)

• Like 1

Basic and advanced aerodynamics and physics which every B29 knows and understands.  Reduces the energy debt for flying very fast, very far, very heavy and very long.  They trade off when the leader gets tired.  They communicate about this quite well ...  HONK HONK HONKY.   I have counted both even and odd numbers of "V" flights.  Smart fuckers ... they know exactly how far a shotgun will reach.  HB :)

Nope that's not it....the are more geese in the longer line....lol

• Like 4

Evil bastards no matter what, I'm excited to do my part to reduce their numbers. If I could I'd go out every day from September 1st to December 12th, kill my 3 and donate every goose over the 15 limit I'm allowed to keep to soup kitchens. 

• Like 1