1919 Issues...

Well according to UPS my rebuilt, 922 compliant 1919 is on it's way home and scheduled for delivery today.  Only cost me @$385:(  Looking forward to shooting the snot out of it.  I'll give a range report ASAP.  Hopefully, I'll be able to recommend the builder's work....

GregB

Will it have a polymer lower?  Were they able to repair the original lower or is it a replacement?  Have you put all your hammers in a secure location that is now forgotten?

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Took the AKDAL to the range yesterday.  Had 4 different loads of birdshot.  3 to 3 1/4 dram cheap stuff.  Fired @10 rounds through it and it choked.  Tried all three mags, all four loads.  This is after it had @$325 worth of work done. Some of the work was replacing my broken lower with another polymer one, and replacing parts to make it 922 compliant and tuning the mags. I contacted my builder and he said "it ran fine with buckshot".  I said "I thought we were tuning it to run birdshot".  He replied "that's a lot more work and more money".  I'm so ticked off and disgusted it's not funny.  I'm going to try it with the buckshot he recommended. I'm thinking I should have sent this to Tooth and Nail.  Tried to support the "local" business, but I may live to regret it.  Really about ready to sell it and just by a Benelli M4.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

To be continued..

GregB

Took the AKDAL to the range yesterday.  Had 4 different loads of birdshot.  3 to 3 1/4 dram cheap stuff.  Fired @10 rounds through it and it choked.  Tried all three mags, all four loads.  This is after it had @$325 worth of work done. Some of the work was replacing my broken lower with another polymer one, and replacing parts to make it 922 compliant and tuning the mags. I contacted my builder and he said "it ran fine with buckshot".  I said "I thought we were tuning it to run birdshot".  He replied "that's a lot more work and more money".  I'm so ticked off and disgusted it's not funny.  I'm going to try it with the buckshot he recommended. I'm thinking I should have sent this to Tooth and Nail.  Tried to support the "local" business, but I may live to regret it.  Really about ready to sell it and just by a Benelli M4.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

To be continued..

GregB

Shouldn't cost any more to get it to run birdshot, being an XN it should run 1300's with no extra work.

What do you mean by "cheap stuff", what are you shooting?

Try Winchester AA, , Remington Nitro Gold or STS in 1300's

If it still has problems give me some specifics as to what the failure is, I can tell you what is wrong.

I need more info than "It jams". 

Believe it or not that is about as much information as we get sometimeslaugh.png

Edited by toothandnail
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after giving it another go with Winchester AA and some 1350 dove loads, It looks like the hammer isn't resetting/failing to feed next round.  I'm sending it back to the builder and he's going to take another look.  I appreciate all the advice on here.  I hope to be able to pick it up at the Asheville Gun Show the weekend of October 10-11.  Definitely a learning experience.  Stay tuned.  

Is "kool aid" the Benelli?

GregB

Edited by GregB72
  • 1 month later...

Ok, picked it up and tried several different loads.  1315 and 1350 birdshot seemed to fail to eject about every 3 or 4th round in the 5 and 10 round mag.  15 round of Remington sluggers ran fine.  Even ran 5 rounds of reduced recoil buckshot.  Seems like the problem is either a spent empty not extracting and/or a simultaneous double feed.  I was told by previous owner that it had a reduced power recoil spring, but I'm thinking that it may not and that may be the problem. Could it be a bolt/ejector issue?  It had a magpull BAD Lever on it, I've removed it to see if that helps.  Also, once, when inserting an empty mag, It kind of locked up/ wouldn't drop the bolt.  I'm thinking the mags (which I've sent back twice to be fitted) may be the issue.  The two five rounders came with the gun and the 10 rounder I bought new.  Put @5 rounds in @15 t0 20 minutes.  Still don't trust it with anything "light".  I'm gonna keep trying to get it to run.  Trying to avoid shipping it again.  Already had mags fitted 3 times by 2 different builders and had two trips to local builder.  Trigger doubled once on me, probably recoil and a slow trigger finger, but definitely got my attention.

Suggestions?

P.S. Did I mention I got it back without the carryhandle/rear sight in the box this time.  Someone is testing me:) 

• 2 months later...

So is that caused by soft aluminum shells or a magazine feed lip issue? Is there any way to tell by looking at it if it has a low power spring?

Thanks,

Greg

There are no aluminum shells for shotguns that I am aware of. They are mostly plastic and sheet steel. Some use sheet brass, for premium stuff like AAs.

Okay, my guy fitted/adjusted the hammer and as long as I use AA  or the like (1 1/4oz) it runs like a champ.  Now I think I need a stock weight.  One of my least favorite guns to shoot.  Has anyone tried a recoil reducing stock on one of these?  

Now that its running, maybe in time your gun will continue to break in and you will be able to use lighter loads reliably.  I use 1145 fps Gun Club, STS and AA shells without problems.

I've read about some folks running those recoil reducing stocks successfully but I've never seen one in person.  After you get the gun running with softer shooting shells, you may decide its no longer needed.  Or if recoil still presents a problem, maybe a mid-barrel comp may be of help.

Edited by Flatland Shooter