"Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act of 2015" Introduced to Cu

"Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act of 2015" Introduced to Curb BATFE Abuse

FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2015

Rep. Rob Bishop Introduces Bill to Curb BATFE Abuse. Urge your U.S. Representative to cosponsor and support this important legislation today!

click-here-take-action.gif?width=500&hei

On Wednesday, June 10, 2015, Chairman of the House Committee on Natural Resources Rob Bishop (R-UT) introduced H.R. 2710, the "Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act of 2015." This bill would remove BATFE's authority to interpret or reinterpret the "sporting purposes" clauses in federal law, which only serve to undermine the core purpose of the Second Amendment. Under Chairman Bishop’s legislation, all lawful purposes – including self-defense – would have to be given due consideration and respect in the administration of federal law.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller that the core purpose of the Second Amendment is self-defense. Nevertheless, many federal laws that regulate the importation, possession and transfer of firearms measure the lawful utility of firearms based on their usefulness for so-called "sporting purposes."

The term "sporting purposes" is undefined by federal statute and has been subject to several reinterpretations by the BATFE and its predecessor agency.  BATFE and anti-gun administrations have exploited the lack of a clear definition of “sporting purposes” to bypass Congress and impose gun control through executive fiat. The most recent (and perhaps most infamous) example of this was the Obama administration’s attempt to ban a highly popular form of ammunition for the AR-15, America’s most popular rifle.

H.R. 2710 would put a stop to this for good and accomplish the following essential reforms to federal firearms laws:

Eliminate ATF's authority to reclassify popular rifle ammunition as "armor piercing ammunition." The federal law governing armor piercing ammunition was passed by Congress to target handgun projectiles, but BATFE has used the law to ban common and popular rifle ammunition, as it recently attempted with M855/SS109 5.56x45 ammunition.

Provide for the lawful importation of any non-NFA firearm or ammunition that may otherwise be lawfully possessed and sold within the United States. BATFE has used the current discretionary "sporting purposes" standard to deny the importation of firearms that would be perfectly legal to manufacture, sell, and possess in the United States.

Protect shotguns, shotgun shells, and certain rifles from arbitrary classification as "destructive devices." Classification as a destructive device subjects a firearm to the registration and taxation provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA) and creates a ban on possession of such firearms in some states.

Broaden the temporary interstate transfer provision to allow temporary transfers for all lawful purposes rather than just for "sporting purposes."

NRA would like to thank Chairman Bishop for his steadfast support of the Second Amendment and the introduction of H.R. 2710.

Again, please contact your U.S. Representative today and urge him or her to cosponsor and support this important legislation!

• Like 1

Done and done and done.  Thank you.  I suppose somebody is just throwing us dogs a bone.  The proposed bill does not go anywhere far enough.  I for one would be willing to do some horse trading on the NFA tax stamp cost if the 1986 new machine gun ban was lifted.  This would also have to apply for NFA type imports.

Also here is a novel idea.  Require oaths to the Constitution in order to get or keep a Federal Job.  If your job performance does not live up to defending the US Constitution, then you are out on your ass.  You must support the Constitution in your daily duties or job description.  If you do not, you are fired.

Just me.  HB of CJ

• Like 2

How about an amendment/modification to remove the damn stamp requirement for surpressors, SBS and SBR. 41 states have surpressors legal now...they are good for everyone's hearing... the SBS and SBR is just silly now given the wide range of arms and accessories out there that are close but just outside the clasification...

• Like 4

How about an amendment/modification to remove the damn stamp requirement for surpressors, SBS and SBR. 41 states have surpressors legal now...they are good for everyone's hearing... the SBS and SBR is just silly now given the wide range of arms and accessories out there that are close but just outside the clasification...

That can be the next step. We lost our rights incrementally, but we can win by reversing the process. It's all about exposing more people to positive experience.

I respectfully do not agree with GunFun.  How does a society return to the US Constitution just one incremental step at one time when we need and must travel many many steps?  It will never happen.  Why settle for one step forward when it may (may) be possible to leap forward many steps at once?  Just me.  Respectably.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Can't make it work.  The NRA does not need my phone number.

My Senator or POS Congressman never asked me for a phone number ANY time I contacted them.

I have, however, received cordial letters or emails in response to my concerns when I want my opinion to be known.

I will contact my representatives directly.

I respectfully do not agree with GunFun.  How does a society return to the US Constitution just one incremental step at one time when we need and must travel many many steps?  It will never happen.  Why settle for one step forward when it may (may) be possible to leap forward many steps at once?  Just me.  Respectably.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Go for both. But don't kill a bill with some traction by trying to get stuff that won't pass right now into it.

• Like 1

I also have wondered if anybody breathing actually reads my E mails.  Does anybody have an inside look or view on their local, state or federal politician and can tell us how all of these vitally important (to us) or a total waste of their valuable time (to them) E-mails are even read, sorted, balanced and individually responded to?  I am thinking here a lack of redress of grievances.   HB

I think it is a matter of getting people to have positive experiences which refute the lies they have been told. The more things that give them a chance to experience freedom, the bigger things we can restore. Eventually, you reach a point of critical mass where you can win on the core issues and the big things. We've mostly been winning the battles the last decade or so. 

We have concealed carry nearly universal, ditto, NFA access. More importantly, more people have tried title II items and found them to be fun and reasonable. More people have played with stuff in video games they want to try for real. We are getting close to critical mass, and getting cheap imported guns and ammo back would be a huge boon towards popular access.

That will accelerate the reaction.

I also have wondered if anybody breathing actually reads my E mails.  Does anybody have an inside look or view on their local, state or federal politician and can tell us how all of these vitally important (to us) or a total waste of their valuable time (to them) E-mails are even read, sorted, balanced and individually responded to?  I am thinking here a lack of redress of grievances.   HB

Legislative assistants do. Kinda. They have issue tracking software. So what they do is shove the emails and letters into a spreadsheet. They tend to be single issue, so putting multiple things in a letter is not effective. Probably they will read the first issue, then add +1 to the "gun stuff" category, or maybe even a specific gun related stuff category, or bill #X count. They get tons of form letters, so I am sure they set up filters to recognise specific text and just automatically add an increment to whichever bucket the letter fits into.

• Like 1

Good point GunFun.  If a bill has some traction, why not also add to that traction?  But ... now we are dealing with points of view only.  An old political trick is to try to make a bill better or worse in order to either kill it or accelerate it.  But ... what does one do if the bad guys keep greasing the skids?  The answer is that you try not to use rails as your traction source.  Try something else.  Maybe rockets?  Dunno.  HB :)

• Like 1

Seems we are over loading this server?  Cool.  Lots of posts in just a few seconds.  One way to kinda make sure your E-mail is actually read by a live, breathing, sane, (maybe) human being is to use polite language and keep it short, on only one topic and quickly make your point.  Fewer words and paragraphs are also good.  Do not ramble.  Do not try to duplicate this here by me long useless wordy post.  It will not work.  Opps ... what am I doing here?  Aughhhh!  HB :)

They count # of letters on _topic_ . For/against, and unique addresses. Likely also whether you are registered in their district. It does get their attention when there are a huge surge of contacts. I once tried to get the job years back. I also know some people who ran a state senator's campaign a few times. So I have a little bit of knowledge, but not much more than I just said here. What I have been curious about is whether they track hand written vs. form. I would be inclined to weight hand written more heavily, as correlative to an actual vote, but who knows if that is true, or if they bother.

• Like 1

Also here is a novel idea.  Require oaths to the Constitution in order to get or keep a Federal Job.  If your job performance does not live up to defending the US Constitution, then you are out on your ass.  You must support the Constitution in your daily duties or job description.  If you do not, you are fired.

Just me.  HB of CJ

believe it or not, that is the current procedure. i was fed employee for 4 years and then i had to move.  we raised our right hand just like the uniformed boys. FWIW.... granted lots of slugs etc were hired on and it is a broken system buuuuut

• Like 2