Post 9/11 job hunting, pain in the neck.

I worked for the same company from October 2000-April 2015 and decided to jump ship (a topic in itself). Holy crap did the interview/background process become a huge pain in the ass! I'm curious to hear some of your stories on the topic. Mine was an eye opener. A few observations:

1. Background checks. I checked "no criminal record on the app". I had a DUI in 1993, but completed the A.R.D. program and it wasn't put on my 'criminal' record. HR found it and I had to explain that it's not on my police record. I had a summary fine for swimming in a quarry (new owners are dicks) and once again I had to explain, not a criminal offense.

2. Soooo many forms of ID! I can't even find most of the originals, now I'm waiting on snail mail for originals of birth certificates, SS cards, etc. That's another pain in the neck too!

3. I have a GED (got it before my actual graduation date) and I always checked diploma. HR was all over that too, now I'm waiting for that to come in the mail.

4. I have a stack of training certificates ie: PLC programming, hydraulics, welding, cnc programming, industrial maintenance, etc. They contacted every classroom to verify.

5. New HR and old HR definitely talked about more than my professional background (I hated my old HR lady and made her life hell) and that came up in the interview. Funny thing is: they hired me before my physical and background check were even finished and now I always have to see HR about something else they need!

I got the job, but I'm curious to hear some of your red tape nightmares on the topic in case I change jobs again. 

I had it easy. My dad already worked at the company and they were short on people so I basically had my foot in the door already. Didn't have to submit a resume or excessive documents, just went in for a short talk with the boss, filled out some insurance and tax stuff and that was pretty much it. Been working there for almost 3 years now and have made myself almost indispensable (it helps that most of the guys are a few years from retirement, plus it's a specialized field that not many people get into and thus there will be a manpower crunch coming).

• Like 1

We have found that everything you ever did will be in some record.  Even if you were only arrested, it sticks.  Sometimes even back to 1970.  The problems that come up are that today there are several different criminal and civil data bases.  Some private.  Some public.  None of them will agree, at least in my case.  It took time and money to get stuff kinda squared away.  It is now like your credit rating.  You have the right to declare errors and demand corrections.

I got my last RN job because luckily everything was accurate and timely.  Also it was important that all the necessary licenses, certificates, ratings and whatever were up to date.  I also had packed my bag and was ready to go to work instantly.  Makes a big difference to new bosses.  Sometimes dumb errors will be made by dumb people.  A delay-pending situation with my S12 purchase comes to mind.  They goofed up.  It took a letter from my lawyer to get corrective action.  HB

• Like 1

when I got my CCP it showed that I was arrested back in 1995 for misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct. I was never charged with either offense and the case was dismissed but it still showed up on my FBI background check. Without that I would have a spotless record. Dismissed means Dismissed..take that shit off. They made a mistake,had no case, I'm innocent of the charge, so take it off my record…I't never happened.  WTF. 20 years ago. I still got my CCP without any problems and have never been denied a sale of a firearm ever, but I would like to see that BS removed.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies and advice guys, I appreciate it. Thankfully, this is the closest thing to social media I do, so no prying by HR there. I love the job, but it's hot and dirty and I'm in my 40's, so the first air conditioned CNC/machinist/mechanic job I find that's not 1st shift, I'm gone!

• Like 1

I wonder how many tree-hugger fish-kissing environmental wacko nut cases who have been arrested many times for various wacko nut job "civil disobedience" marches or sit-ins ever land any job?  Or are some arrests more politically correct than others? HB

• Like 1

I go through regular screenings working in the nuclear industry. The more frequently you jump through a hoop the better you get at it.

It does lead to bad habbits like carrying your as card in your wallet though.

• Like 1

Most states have some process to clear even old convictions off of your record if you have fulfilled the sentence conditions, payed every fine, etc. Look up "vacating your record" on your favorite search engine. Ditto for firearms & voting rights.  -- It's a lot of what my boss does, and I have helped with a little. Feels pretty good when the underlying thing was B.S.

There is no way to guarantee in the electronic age that everything goes away, but the vacating process is as near as you are likely to get. I don't know about the process for mistaken records or records of arrest without conviction. I don't recall seeing a statute for that in my state and it may have been overlooked by legislators. I can't believe there is a state in which it has not come up in court though. A false arrest record would at least be a libel (not saying that it is actionable though).

GunFun hit it again and thank you.  Might be worthwhile to hire a good attorney and spend a little money and see if old arrests can be tossed out.  This would even include time served (over night) for being caught out dead ass drunk on the annual naked midnight park employee COED bicycle ride from Mirror Lake to Yosemite Lodge in Yosemite National Park in June of 1970.  Young, drunk and stupid.

Statistics will indicate that mistakes will be made on ones criminal record.  Be amazed how many people share names, dates and places of birth.  Also easy to confuse some with others.  Also it is important to read the bottom of the page of a very short print out.  Duhh.  Politicians spend big bucks getting lots of criminal records sealed by Judges.  We can do it also.  But ... how well does it work?  HB

There once was a man named Jesus and he washed the feet of the men who worked for him. They were unsure of why a leader would do this. His humility was an example to his men that we must not place ourselves on such a pedestal and realize that if we apply ourselves without arrogance or superiority complex, we will be far more effective and have purpose.

Today, lots of people feel that they need to stick to a specific trade or profession that is in line with their plan when in fact, G-d has a plan for them and they should get to work no matter if it's digging ditches or finishing the sutures on an open heart in the operating room. We all will find work if we are not too proud to work.

Good luck with your job hunting. Best time to find a better one is when you have one.