I recently picked up a Black Aces Tactical receiver for the maverick 88 and a complete parts kit to build it. The maverick parts will have to be refinished but I need some advice. I do not have the kit in hand yet but it is used and seems to have some light rust around the barrel. I do not like guns that are blued so I want a finish that closely matches that of my mossberg 500 cruiser. It is a matte black finish. I would like to refinish it in either flat dark earth or matte black. What I want to know is how the process will go. Should I use naval jelly to remove the blued finish, then apply a high temp primer, then paint in desired color? Do I really need a special paint to resist the heat? I found brownells has special gun paint but do not want to wait 6 weeks for it to cure. Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide.

Brownell's Alumahyde II. Their matte black is nice, and it's pretty durable stuff.

I used it on an AK and a 1917A1 watercooled. The 1917A1 was in Parkerizing Gray, and a buddy who runs a gun shop didn't know it was a coating until I told him.

As far as application tips, just follow Brownell's directions and you'll be good to go.

You can speed the cure by elevating the temp. I did mine at a higher temp cure in about 2 weeks.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 2