I wish you luck, I haven't seen any of the AK conversion kits in a couple years now and I would like to have a couple more.  Best bet is want ads in the forums you visit or make it yourself.

Call me sacrilegious then but I turned a severely bubba'ed Saiga .223 into a bullpup a few years back and it has been a favorite at the range. Lots of tweaking and mods along the way and the only unmodified part from the bullpup kit is the buttstock. No new pics of it ( have to fix that ) but the old ones are in my gallery. Threaded the barrel and added a lantac dragon, much better uptic and QD points for one and two point sling.

223 bullpup

.223 Bullpup

• Like 1

DEACON,

NOW THAT DOESN'T LOOK TOO BAD........

I'VE FOUND THAT IT'S ALL IN THE ERGONOMICS AND HANDLING, NOT NECESSARILY LOOKS.

AS AN EXAMPLE, I HAVE ONE OF THE CHINESE SKS CARBINES THAT TAKES THE AK MAGAZINE.

IT IS SET IN A WOODEN THUMBHOLE STOCK, THAT PUTS ONE IN MIND OF SOME OPIUM ADDLED VIET-CONG, DEEP IN A TUNNEL COMPLEX,  ARMED WITH A HORSESHOE RASP, A 2X6, AND A LOT OF TIME ON HIS HANDS.

OR PERHAPS A PARTICULARLY UGLY MONKEY, HAVING INTIMATE RELATIONS WITH A FOOTBALL.

WHATEVER................

I SAW THESE THINGS AT VARIOUS GUN SHOWS AND GUN STORES, BACK IN THE EARLY '90'S, AND THOUGHT WHAT A "GOD-AWFUL ABOMINATION....... AND UGLY, TOO......".

I FINALLY PICKED ONE UP AND BRIEFLY SHOULDERED IT, WHEN NO ONE WAS LOOKING, JUST TO SATISFY AND CONFIRM MY OWN SUSPICIONS ABOUT ITS COMPLETE LACK OF REDEEMING QUALITIES, BUT, WHEN I DID SO, THIS UGLY FROG SEEMED TO MAGICALLY TURN INTO A PRINCESS.

ERGONOMICALLY, IT WAS ONE OF THE BETTER FEELING LONG GUNS I'VE EVER SHOULDERED.

HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH THE HI-POINT 9MM CARBINE, AROUND THE SAME TIME FRAME.

SAW THEM AT THE SHOWS, STARTED TO PICK ONE UP AND SHOULDER IT, BUT WHEN I ASKED THE GUY AT THE TABLE WHO MADE IT, AND HE SAID HI-POINT, I JUST TURNED AND WALKED AWAY, PICTURING THEIR PISTOLS IN MY MIND.

FINALLY SEVERAL MONTHS LATER, AFTER SEEING THESE CARBINES SEEMINGLY EVERYWHERE, AND AT THE INSISTENCE OF ONE EXHIBITOR AT A GUN SHOW, I PICKED ONE UP AND SHOULDERED IT.

SAME EFFECT AS WITH THE SKS.

MY NEXT WORDS WERE "HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY THESE THINGS ARE? WELL, BREAK OUT A YELLOW SHEET".

SO, YOU CAN'T ALWAYS TELL BY LOOKING.

BUT THAT FIRST 'PUP ABOVE..............ONE DOES HAVE TO DRAW THE LINE SOMEWHERE.

JUS' SAYIN'.........

BTW, I'VE HAD ANOTHER ERGONOMICAL EPIPHANY RECENTLY WITH THE MAKO PTK FOREGRIP.

SAW ONE ON ONE OF RUFFIANS LONG GUNS, CHECKED WITH HIM AND ON HIS RECOMMENDATION, KNOWING THAT HE WOULDN'T STEER A BROTHER MARINE WRONG, I GOT ONE AND MOUNTED IT AT 6 O'CLOCK ON MY 556R.

MY LEFT HAND WAS IN HEAVEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THE ONLY THING THAT FEELS NEAR AS GOOD IN MY LEFT HAND IS M..........................AH-WELL, NEVER MIND...............

BUT YEAH, DEACON, IF THAT FOREGRIP ON YOUR 'PUP IS ON A PIC-RAIL, AND IT WILL FIT, PUT ONE OF THOSE MAKO PTK FOREGRIPS ON IT, YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE, I PREDICT.

ALSO SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING GETTING THE FACTORY POLYMER PIC-RAIL FOR MY ARCHANGEL  M/N '91/'44 STOCKS, AND PUTTING PTK'S ON THEM (SPEAKING OF MONKEYS AND FOOTBALLS), IN MATCHING GREEN.

THAT MIGHT BE SOMETHING FOR YOU OTHER ARCHANGEL OWNERS TO LOOK AT.

THE ARCHANGEL PIC-RAIL, AND THE PTK ARE BOTH AVAILABLE AT OPTICS PLANET, AND OCCASIONALLY ON SALE AT DVOR, OPTICS PLANETS SUBSIDIARY.

DON'T GET IT DIRECT FROM MAKO, THEY WANT WAY TOO MUCH FOR IT! 

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

Thank you for the kind words Jess and evilblkpwnz. This project is going on four years of a little time here and a little there. The trigger assembly has been redone at a dozen times with improvement at most every step and it bears little resemblance to it's original incarnation. The front grip was due to how short the ventral rail was in the beginning. Since then I put a rail on that was just long enough for a Magpul AFG2 and it is much better. Looked at the PTK and thought about it but none were available locally and never seemed to be able to find one in stock. Looks like they are more readily available now so I can get a couple and try them out. First one will be on the RFB that does not have anything yet.

As  side note, I have a new shooter I am teaching and she is only 5'4" so the full size AK and AR's are front heavy and hard for her to deal with. But she does an excellent job with the bullpups since the balance point is a ways back. Add a good muzzle brake and they are very docile handling rifles.

• Like 1

DEACON,

I THINK YOU WILL BE DELIGHTED WITH THE PTK, AND I ALSO BELIEVE THAT YOUR YOUNG SHOOTER WILL FARE BETTER WITH ITS IMPROVED ERGONOMICS OVER THE AFG.

CHECK OUT OPTICS PLANET.

CTD IS 10 BUCKS CHEAPER, BUT I KNOW YOU'D NEVER SHOP THERE, PLUS, IF YOU'RE IN TEXAS, YOU HAVE SALES TAX TO CONTEND WITH.

THE MOST EFFICIENT MUZZLE BRAKE I'VE FOUND YET IS THE SOLAR TACTICAL "FAST BRAKE", THAT I HAD A MACHINIST FRIEND MODIFY, BY DRILLING THREE 1/4" HOLES DIRECTLY OVER THE THREE PORTS, AT 12 O'CLOCK.

I RECENTLY TESTED IT AGAINST THE NEW "DRAKON" BRAKE, AND FOUND IT TO BE SLIGHTLY SUPERIOR, WHEN BOTH WERE USED ON A POLISH M1960 MILLED RECEIVER AK.

JESS1344