Saigatech Trigger Guards

I recently purchased and returned a Tromix DIY trigger guard because it wouldn't fit on my 433 model. I know it's dumb to be married to something purely for aesthetic reasons, but I really like that shape. I'm wondering if the Saigatech USA trigger guards have enough beef too them to be able to afford to be drilled out to make room for the BHO and fit on the 433/vepr 12 type shotguns? 

Correct, the Tromix is I'm assuming stamped or bent sheet metal of some sort, it never changes thickness as it turns the corner from the front of the TG to wrap under the receiver. The Saigatech appears to use tapers and bevels to change thickness, but I've never seen one in person to know if there would be enough extra material that I could drill or mill clearance for the BHO. The only thing they share in common is the shape, which I like and believe it gives more room to hit the mag release a bit cleaner.

Good call, and thanks elvis, I did. I had sent him a message on here a long time ago that never got a response so I figured it was really busy or just not an emailer, but he replied to a real email very quickly. As it turns out he actually makes a billet TG for the VEPRs/IZ433s! They aren't listed on their site as far as I can tell, but I will be ordering this week. Between a move, a wedding, and getting this first semester of school done, the new Saiga took a back seat and has shamefully been a pile of parts for almost a year now shamefully enough. Ready to start tinkering again.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

If the copy can do stuff the original can't then its not an "also ran". Shannon's set I will eventually buy after goose season supposedly will fit my 433 but if that weren't the case I'd be in the same boat. You unilaterally decided it was "just a copy" then lash out when it can do things the Tromix can't, that seems like somewhat faulty logic to me.

Guess I must have missed where Tromix was offering a DIY trigger guard milled from aluminum billet, or one TIG welded together from multiple pieces of heavy steel.  The Tromix DIY trigger guard is bent up from a single piece of lighter steel sheet, with threaded inserts installed.  Completely different construction.  Also, Saigatech offers both the angular guards, and a rounded version that is more like that of a regular AK.  There's only just so many possible styling variations when making one.

• Like 1

On a certain level, every "converted" saiga is either a Tromix knockoff or a Cobra knockoff. Cobra did the first conversion, and Tromix was the first to offer them for sale, and DIY parts to the public. 

I can think of a couple other builders who knock off a couple more distinctive tromix parts to me, but I'll not say names.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It isn't that hard to be different since most known shops and bolt-on morons (you see them on GB a lot) copy Tromix in regards to the overall look of the gun. It seems that few venture from that path without it looking really stupid or like a collection of nightmares and afterthoughts. The Tromix look sells and shops emulate it, there is really nothing to decipher about it. If you choose profit over passion then it makes total sense. Making your own path and creating a look that represents you may make better sense for some, but creativity can be a fickle bitch and a true artist will damn near drive himself crazy trying to perfect something that already looks perfect to everyone except himself, which is the only person he is trying to impress. It is much easier to just copy someones's shit, make money, and call it a day. Proper respect to Tony Rumore for creating the most copied look in the Saiga 12 world and for laying down the SBS. I never knew Cobra did the first conversion. That's badass. Pioneers....

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

If the copy can do stuff the original can't then its not an "also ran". Shannon's set I will eventually buy after goose season supposedly will fit my 433 but if that weren't the case I'd be in the same boat. You unilaterally decided it was "just a copy" then lash out when it can do things the Tromix can't, that seems like somewhat faulty logic to me.

If you have a 433, the Tromix DIY will NOT fit. During my returns process with Carolina Shooters Supply that was confirmed in an email. The forward toe touches the BHO leaving somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch to have the holes line up. As for the weld on version I do not know, but if you're going through the trouble to weld on, bending it a bit to clear the BHO shouldn't be an issue. But, yes, Ray makes a version that is already manufactured to fit the 433 with no mods, and as far as I can tell, costs the same as his 109 TG.