• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...the same logic has been applied to all surveillance.   Why do you need privacy? What are you hiding?   Amendment IVThe right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and eff

So weasel 272 feet up you say? That's about 90 yards up. Shooting something down at that range with a shotgun would be almost laughable. But hey. Keep on defending the rights of pervs and privacy inv

I can take that one down with a Kamakazi quad copter that costs as much as one motor on that octocopter monstrosity.   All you need is a dromida ominus and some 20 lb fishing line. SSS Shoot, Sho

I would have done the same thing.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/29650818/hillview-man-arrested-for-shooting-down-drone-cites-right-to-privacy

Guess we need some kind of net shot shells. Still have the fall out of sky hazard though.

Or a simple device that scrambles RF signals with the push of a button.

I wonder if a laser could destroy the camera it carries.

The owner should have been charged with trespassing.

• Like 3

Or a simple device that scrambles RF signals with the push of a button.

I wonder if a laser could destroy the camera it carries.

The owner should have been charged with trespassing.

Do remember reading about handheld "make your own" EMP awhile back.  RF scrambler may be better.  Going to look into them more.  Could be the answer for these new bugs.

I have no problem if just passing over (well I do - just trying to get along).  Staying beyond your welcome is a whole other ball game.

Edited by NM ZERO

Would be really tempting to use dragons breath, but a horrible idea.........

Ok I'm dumb but I have to bite. Assuming dg is legal and you fire it in a manner not to catch other stuff on fire why wouldn't this be a good idea for drones? ( aside from casting light on the specialty ammo section. )

Other than that. Does this guy have one of those accounts people can donate money to? I'd love to give this guy a few bucks.

• Like 1

I was packing a laser to take down any drones after one was flying backstage at the local country music festival.  The road crew would have gotten out the shotguns they had on the tour bus.  They told me "you lase the shit out of it, and we'll shoot it!"   They wanted it dead!

• Like 2

From the side of being a person who fly lots of quads and what people like to call "Drones" its all about responsibility. You don't hover around private property or people. I fly in lots of places but most of the time at an elevation that for the most part goes unnoticed. I compare it to the etiquette you use for firearms.....there might not be written rules but there are just some things you shouldn't do. 

This incident reminds me of a NJ case where a person shot down a neighbors quad and was not only arrested but forced to replace the drone because there was no way to prove it was directly over his property.

If you look at a map of where this incident took place you can see it was in a close residential area so the home owner took his chances and got cough.

Am I saying the idiot flying it was in the right..NO. However the bone head with he shotgun took the wrong approach and now in trouble.

As for jamming it....FCC violation.....or shooting it with a net or the like that's just foolish.

From the other prospective.....

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/kentucky-man-arrested-for-shooting-down-drone.49341/

Edited by WeaselNuts
  • Like 3

Would be really tempting to use dragons breath, but a horrible idea.........

Ok I'm dumb but I have to bite. Assuming dg is legal and you fire it in a manner not to catch other stuff on fire why wouldn't this be a good idea for drones? ( aside from casting light on the specialty ammo section. )

Other than that. Does this guy have one of those accounts people can donate money to? I'd love to give this guy a few bucks.

The starting of fire would be my concern

You know. I was thinking about this. The only mistake the guy made was handing over the evidence.  He should have taken that thing inside or made it disappear and denied all. No evidence. nothing happened.

Not really going to work when the video of the flight is being recorded to my ground station and I can see everything the drone sees. Hand over footage to authorities would not go well for home owner with an additional charge of theft......

Edited by WeaselNuts
  • Like 1

I can take that one down with a Kamakazi quad copter that costs as much as one motor on that octocopter monstrosity.

All you need is a dromida ominus and some 20 lb fishing line.

You know. I was thinking about this. The only mistake the guy made was handing over the evidence.  He should have taken that thing inside or made it disappear and denied all. No evidence. nothing happened.

SSS

Shoot, Shovel, Shutup!

Something else people need to figure out is a simple thing..

Don't let the scum sucking, third party debt collector (attorney) intimidate you. Don't let the Judge preach from the bench. Don't listen to the prosecutor as if he is G-d.

This should go to a Jury and be nullified.

JURY NULLIFICATION.

The only honest thing left in the queens court.

• Like 4

Ok, this is what I suspected but didn't say before....the guy with the shot gun is all hyped up and paranoid about nothing. At those heights the guy wasn't seeing crap with his little DJI rig.
In this case I would press charges and get a new quad.....home owner was a moron.

Not really going to work when the video of the flight is being recorded to my ground station and I can see everything the drone sees. Hand over footage to authorities would not go well for home owner with an additional charge of theft......

In addition to malicious mischief. Don't break their stuff, nail them for tresspass, which has automatic damages. Also, if they are actually doing the peeping tom thing, that's extra. It sounds to me from the description, that a guy was kind of a jackass either way. Either a guy was playing with his toy and carelessly tresspassed with it, which is annoying and does violate a property right, but is on par with throwing a frisbee over the fence. So mild jackassery on that side, maybe. On the other hand, the other guy's reaction to having a toy cross his property line MAYBE, is to discharge a firearm and destroy something worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. 

Those things don't have a 10 mile radius. It means he could probably have yelled, "PRIVATE PROPERTY" and the operator would have heard him. Instead, he decides to discharge a firearm, at some lithium batteries in the woods. Genius. 

I am going to say the landowner was a jackass either way, and far more than the guy playing with his RC.

I like the fishing line trick.

Effective and cheap...if you can catch him over YOUR property.

A decent pellet gun, slingshot or blowgun would do the job too. These things are FRAGILE.

Jamming it is illegal...but VERY hard to prove if you keep your mouth shut. Jam it...watch it crash, then turn off the jammer and pretend you never did a thing.

Where can we all get "accurate time on target" information regarding the ins and outs and legalities of flying a drone closely overhead private property?  Things like FAA regulations and rules.  Minimum heights and stuff.  Spacing.  Noise ordinances?  Time of day? 

Peeping Tom long distance?  R/C perverts?

If we all could learn up on the actual law in this matter, at least out here in OR, they might be laws that let you break one law in order to prevent a larger non legal act.  Thus like shooting a shotgun within city limits.  Out here you may be off the hook.  Just thinking.

We may also be REQUIRED to stop such an illegal act?

This is a stretch.  Savage law?  If you find it on your property and if it was there thrugh non legally activity, then is it your property?  Possession being nine tenths of the law and stuff. I for one have strong feelings about my private property and privacy being invaded.

REQUIRED in that such an illegal fly over endangers people?

• Like 1

Us rednecks here in Ky will always make the news ,  guy lived about an hour from me it doesnt surprise me one bit . We are here in the land of the free even with a Democratic  Gov he signed an order for national guard to carry , after the Chattanooga shootings . We still have gun sales face to face . I hope they don't shoot a government one down as I imagine it would cost a lot to replace . I don't imagine much will come out of it as he has witness it was spying on his daughter , so to speak . That would be my story and I would stick to it . The big thing is discharging a gun in the city limits . I imagine he will pay for the drone and go on his way .  

Bad keyb0ard s00ry.  W0rkin 0n a fix.

Dr0ne was at extreme range f0r a sh0tgun between 50 and 60 yards by the piI0t's rep0rt.  W0uId Iike t0 see the sh0t dammage 0n the dr0ne, as it w0uId sh0w what height the dr0ne was reaIIy at.  I0ts 0f peIIet hits cI0se t0gether w0uId indicate the dr0ne was much cI0ser.

• Like 1

I believe the first thing I would do is call the police and let them get the operator of the drone for peeping or trespassing . The response time in these little towns is fast and the cops would probably been on his side if he had called them first. They get off on stuff like that around here. I do like the idea of the jammer or a pellet rifle slingshot.

Ok, this is what I suspected but didn't say before....the guy with the shot gun is all hyped up and paranoid about nothing. At those heights the guy wasn't seeing crap with his little DJI rig.

In this case I would press charges and get a new quad.....home owner was a moron.

and your a fucking pervert for being a peeping tom on a 16 year old girl and a fucking dick for trespassing and violating my privacy. Take your pervert machine and shove it up your ass. And you can try trolling some place else too lmao. Be less obvious.

• Like 2

and your a fucking pervert for being a peeping tom on a 16 year old girl and a fucking dick for trespassing and violating my privacy. Take your pervert machine and shove it up your ass. And you can try trolling some place else too lmao. Be less obvious.

HAHA....ok, you got me to actually laugh. Your comment was quite impressive and informative but sorry it wasn't me. I don't live in that part of the country. Not one of your statements has been proven to be accurate by anyone other than the bone with the shotgun. Did you read the last link? According to the flight data from the recorder....which I trust much more than some idiot's lame excuse for firing a shotgun over his neighbors house stated the drone was at 272 feet when fired upon. The data also shows that the path of the quad did not stop directly over his property but passed over it in a matter of seconds. Images from several news links show that this device was most likely a DJI Phantom. Have you ever flow a phantom? At 272' do you know what a person from the small lens of a phantom actually looks like? Google the street where this happened and you can see that the houses are about ten feet apart. So, lets recap based if the recording information is correct shall we.

The owner discharged a firearm in a residential neighborhood where he could have possibly harmed another person or damaged property.

He fired the weapon into airspace (over 80') at an object that may or may not have been directly over his property at a UAV (quad) that was not his. Because he "thought" it was looking at his kid but new nothing about what it was actually shooting at.

Not sure about you but in my book this guy gives firearm owners a bad name and used poor judgement.

From information it sounds like the quad owner has enough to get a new unit, I would.

That is if the SD card was not damaged and I hope it wasn't.

Before you going back to your profanity I just want to state that I own three businesses. One of them is photography and have a title 333 FFA petition to take area photos. I've read the FFA rules very intimately.

As for people asking about FFA rules and laws. In the 2012 FAA re-authorization legislation, Congress told the FAA to come up with a plan for “safe integration” of UAS by September 30, 2015. Those documents have not been finished.

If you would like to read the massive document that they have to date (February 15, 2015)you can have at it here...

http://Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems; Proposed Rule

In this document on page 9557 you can see it was proposed to mimic the Canada guidelines in which an aircraft of less than 4.4lbs would need to be outside off 100' of any personal. A Phantom 3 weights 2.82 lbs so with these guild lines was he trespassing if he was over 100' away and over 80' high.....not likely.

The current most basic "regulations" are that you cannot fly for commercial purposes (profit) without permission and you cannot exceed 400' in height which would put you into a different class of airspace. These new rules will apply to UAV of less the 55 lbs.

If you would like I can take a comparable model quad off the shelf that was the one shot in the incident and fly to 272' and take a picture down at my someone laying out on my deck.....its not going to be very impressive.

I can see more detail with a spotting scope at that distance.

We'll it been fun but its way past my bed time....

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

Edited by WeaselNuts