Well a friend had a Tac-Con AK trigger he decided to not use and asked if I wanted it… Hells yea!

I was planning on getting a new trigger but was leaning more toward the ALG simply on price point.

Dropped it in my Saiga .223 the other night. Install was super easy except for the BHO, but that’s nothing against the trigger.

I don’t have any other triggers to compare to that aren’t milspec, even in my ARs but wow.  Just dry firing this thing in sweet. The “assisted reset” is… different. SUPER short though.

Will be hitting the range this week or weekend. Can’t do any fun shooting so trying to meet up with a friend next week to really see what it can do.

20132553371_15451f48e0_b.jpgTac-Con Saiga by David Pyzik, on Flickr

19916666229_dcbfe81e2e_b.jpg

• Like 3

Very curious to hear your review.

I'm looking forward to it (obviously) mostly because it doesn't look like there are any non-biased reviews on the AK trigger.

The previous AR triggers got a pretty bad ratings from most.  This feels nice so far.

I can see why people are skeptical about this product. It costs more than a TIMNEY by about a hundred bucks and nobody has used it in a three gun match yet and there is no review from users who actually use their weapons. It's all modders and safe queens.

Go dump an ass load of magnum loads down range in all sorts of conditions and let us know how it works out for you.

Ultimately, it's an AK. If it 'aint broke don't fix it.

If you drop it in and do a video of the initial test and what you did to get it running, you will have the first honest review of the product. Well, unless they sent you a trigger to infiltrate this forum!

Tinfoil on!

• Like 4

I can see why people are skeptical about this product. It costs more than a TIMNEY by about a hundred bucks and nobody has used it in a three gun match yet and there is no review from users who actually use their weapons. It's all modders and safe queens.

Go dump an ass load of magnum loads down range in all sorts of conditions and let us know how it works out for you.

Ultimately, it's an AK. If it 'aint broke don't fix it.

If you drop it in and do a video of the initial test and what you did to get it running, you will have the first honest review of the product. Well, unless they sent you a trigger to infiltrate this forum!

Tinfoil on!

That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Hahahah

No, a friend bought it and decided to go another route.  Rather than selling it he was gracious and gave it to me.

Edited by Pyzik
  • Like 2

Well you didn't win the ALG trigger but you wind up getting this for free.  Go figure.

Since I'm never spending that much on an AK trigger and since I have no friends "gracious" enough to give me one, my interest is academic only, but I'm curious to see your report.

I did spend over $250 for a Tavor trigger so maybe I should never say "never", but I'll say "highly unlikely".

• Like 1

Please let us know.

I like my Tapco but I helped a friend out that might something better.

Wish you would have started this thread @ the .223 section.

It's kinda dead there now.

I know it's dead there... :( that why I started it here. Haha. And it applies to more than just the .223.

Thanks Darth, I'll be honest and say I thought we both has good chances on the ALG. What happened there?

I am friends with a fairly well known custom gunsmith shop and he does triggers all the time. Even he was surprised by it.

Plan os to hit the indoor (non-fun) range tomorrow for simple testing.

Thanks Darth, I'll be honest and say I thought we both has good chances on the ALG. What happened there?

Judging by who won I figure they picked randomly. 

• Like 1
Well, I can say it's super easy to "bumpfire" from the shoulder.  I wouldn't even call it bumpfiring really.  Took it out yesterday and finally ran a couple hundred rounds with it.

I am getting a hang up which started to happen less as I shot it.  BCG is hanging behind the FCG.  May need to polish the bottom of my BCG.  More shooting though I think will fix itself.  Different wear pattern from my G2.

On the down side, the Zhukov handguard got HOT.

19710967923_c169a6e21a_b.jpg

20337992741_e8df669a34_b.jpgFireball by David Pyzik, on Flickr

Well, I can say it's super easy to "bumpfire" from the shoulder.  I wouldn't even call it bumpfiring really.  Took it out yesterday and finally ran a couple hundred rounds with it.

I am getting a hang up which started to happen less as I shot it.  BCG is hanging behind the FCG.  May need to polish the bottom of my BCG.  More shooting though I think will fix itself.  Different wear pattern from my G2.
On the down side, the Zhukov handguard got HOT.

19710967923_c169a6e21a_b.jpg

20337992741_e8df669a34_b.jpgFireball by David Pyzik, on Flickr

Video please. If you do a review, it might just be the first unsponsored impression from a normal end user. (As opposed to youtube tactical celebrity.)

Does it slap and sting your trigger digit? Normal trigger slap hurts, but things like an RT valve automag or Tippmann (knock off of the 'mag design) were surprisingly fun to engage the pulsating trigger effect. That in itself was a fun aspect, more so than simple normal FA operation. It was intuitive once learned, and made knowing a particular gun a satisfying skill to learn.

Also, controlled polish and profile beats letting nature take its course. 

Can you give a clear side profile pic of the hammer too?

The back corner (in cocked position) is a likely culprit for significant friction of the type you describe. A bit of filing to slope that more gradually can make a big difference. Just be sure not to remove meat in the area that strikes the firing pin. i.e. draw a square around the area that contacts the bolt tail, and make sure that is untouched and flat to the bolt tail.

Edited by GunFun

Haha Darth, I know I need to get this thing finished. Pushing the sight back chopping to 14.5 and pinning some type of muzzle device.

Like all things, just takes money. :P

GunFun, no trigger slap (that can be felt). I've experienced trigger slap before and agree it makes a gun not fun to shoot. I am sure some folks will have an easier time "learning" than others but it's pretty intuitive.

I was putting controllable 3 shot bursts down range pretty easily.

I'll get sone pics this evening (sorry, not taking it out if the gun though, that bolt hold back took me forever to get back in. Hahaha).

I meant to take some video but then got distracted.

I plan on doing a full non-biased review and I'll try to get some video. I know what you mean, when I got this trigger I tried looking up other's thoughts.... none. All sponsored videos.

Edited by Pyzik
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, had to contact TacCon today.  Figured out what is going on with the jamming.
The sear is allowing the hammer to release too early and the carrier is colliding with it.

Updates to follow as I get them.

11868667_10155890534230720_236632156_n.j

Well that's pretty shitty for a trigger that costs half the price of a whole AK.

Indeed.  Now we shall see how they correct it.

It does not happen on deliberate single shots...  but that's not really the purpose of this trigger now is it.

Well, actually just got off the phone.  Guy called me from his house to see what I had going on.

Apparently they have a new hammer design that should fix it.

He said Saigas have been the most problematic for them.

Well, actually just got off the phone.  Guy called me from his house to see what I had going on.

Apparently they have a new hammer design that should fix it.
He said Saigas have been the most problematic for them.

Yeah, must be the inferior build compared to a bulgarian! LOL! THanks for sharing. Good followup. Hope it all works out for you. It does look pretty bad ass. Target trigger ish....

Their stuff is probably designed for the carrier lower surface curvature of an AK-47/AKM, just like the G2. Seems like most of the aftermarket AK triggers are.

The Saiga being an AK-74/100 series, this surface has a different curvature/profile and length.. It's probably the length that's an issue.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Their stuff is probably designed for the carrier lower surface curvature of an AK-47/AKM, just like the G2. Seems like most of the aftermarket AK triggers are.

The Saiga being an AK-74/100 series, this surface has a different curvature/profile and length.. It's probably the length that's an issue.

I am going to touch base with them and see what they have to say about your thoughts!  Thanks for the heads up!

Mailing off today.  Hoping to have it back by the 29th.  Have a shoot.

Well, hopefully they will modify it to work with your saiga and send it off in time for you to run it in competition. You think they would put a priority on it since you are doing professional level outdoor photos and studio lit product closeups. I have yet to hear from anybody who actually paid for one of these. Time will tell. Kinda makes me think of all the kids putting pipes and air boxes on their audi A4S' as if they could do a better job than the german engineers that made it rip in the first place.

• Like 2

Mailing off today.  Hoping to have it back by the 29th.  Have a shoot.

Well, hopefully they will modify it to work with your saiga and send it off in time for you to run it in competition. You think they would put a priority on it since you are doing professional level outdoor photos and studio lit product closeups. I have yet to hear from anybody who actually paid for one of these. Time will tell. Kinda makes me think of all the kids putting pipes and air boxes on their audi A4S' as if they could do a better job than the german engineers that made it rip in the first place.

Thanks for the complements on the photos.

No, I've heard only very little from anyone who have purchased these.

Well bad news...

I cannot get the carrier back into the gun with the new trigger.
The new hammer sits too high when cocked (if that makes sense).  It's too thick from the strike face back.

At this point, it's unusable.  :(

Waiting to hear back again.