Saiga, I've been missing you!

Hey guys,

I bought my first Saiga 12 in 2008 and loved that gun. I'd shoot it every week until every aftermarket mag that I could find had broken feed lips. I later sold it because of the crappy mag options.

Fast forward to yesterday, I bought an unfired IZ109 with box and all the accessories. Got a fair deal on it.

Would you throw it in a safe, shoot it, sell it and/or buy a Vepr 12?

In you opinion, there any case for this gun over a Vepr 12?

I appreciate the feedback! I would like to give the platform another chance.

Well, what "I" would do is convert it, if it's not already been done, then buy some CSSpecs magazines (good luck breaking them), and have a hell of a time with an awesome shotgun. Don't get discouraged by the platform. Sure, it has its flaws, but when it runs, it runs like no other.

• Like 6

Funny, the only magazines I have had problems with were the factory 5s occasionally bouncing off the feed lip clip.  I have never owned any promag mags, and I know that there were some early surefire mags around '08 that had some brittle plastic. Ditto for AGP. However, I have had thousands of rounds through my circa 2008 and 2009 SGMs that were made in batches after the problem run. I drop them free, and have never seen problems. Frankly I trust the integral 1 ips on those more than I do the 2 piece molded mags, or the steel clip on the factory mags. 

If you want the max possible durability,get the CSSpecs steel mags. Those are hard steel, and the lips are spot welded to the mag body. If you want to try to harm them, I am sure you could get a dent in the sides eventually enough to jam the follower. I doubt that will happen short of deliberately trying to make it happen though.

WOW, those metal mags look sweet. I have been waiting years for these to come out, wish I would have known about them sooner.

I was buying AGP gen 2 mags...It was an expensive mistake but when they were still in one piece, they rocked.

Thanks guys, I think I'll plan to convert it to a pistol grip configuration and stock up on some of those mags!

• Like 1

Might I suggest sir looks at the 'trigger job' link in my signature line before you start that conversion project. Perfect for the discerning connoisseur of conversions.