Storing Saiga 12

Hey guys, I just got my first S-12 and im currently having it converted. I have some concerns about storage. I want to make a custom foam case for it but people say not to store guns in foam because the foam will absorb moisture. Would this be much of an issue indoors where it is climate controlled? The gun will also be parkerized. Would that prevent damage from moisture? It would only be stored away for maybe a month at a time. Pics coming soon.

• Like 1

I have a Daewoo DR-200 partser ( although it shoots just fine ) that I have kept in a foam lined plastic case for years and years.

I put on a nitrile glove and rub it AND the foam in the case with regular ole walmart red axle grease, zero issues with the foam or rifle.

You could reduce the amount of grease given it will only be stored for limited times.

I've seen those, but isn't the whole point of parkerizing is that it be able to handle "rough" conditions? It will be my HD gun and will probably never see extremes unless shtf. I guess I just didn't want to cover my pretty gun with a sock.

You won't see the sock once it's in the case lol, nothing at all wrong with the sock idea given that it's not long term storage.

Parkerizing is my favorite finish but it's not particularly tough in my experience, it WILL however soak up vast amounts of oil to prevent rust.

Edited by boomka

@pantera2 I also have a 9mm for HD. I guess the S12 will be more of a range toy/ case queen. Haha I do plan on leaving it out in the open while im home, but it will go into the case when I leave the house for long periods of time, like going to work. I dont want anyone getting in my house while im gone and my saiga is just sitting there for them. It SEEMS that if I keep some kind of oil coat on it, it should be fine in the foam case.

@pantera2 I also have a 9mm for HD. I guess the S12 will be more of a range toy/ case queen. Haha I do plan on leaving it out in the open while im home, but it will go into the case when I leave the house for long periods of time, like going to work. I dont want anyone getting in my house while im gone and my saiga is just sitting there for them. It SEEMS that if I keep some kind of oil coat on it, it should be fine in the foam case.

If that is your concern, then a gun safe seems more reasonable. Unless you're using one of the new furniture pieces which hide firearms, chances are a person will find it, whether in a case or in the open. Just my opinion.

Ive heard of people leaving out cheap dummy guns, so the intruder figures they got the goods and can be on their way. Maybe ill do that too but I figure they will have their hands full with game consoles and stuff and not search high and low for a hidden gun that may or may not be there.

They'd find the hidden gun too if you think they're going to be hanging out in your house all day

Just make sure there isn't much good stuff to eat and drink and don't have a good cable TV package, lol.

• Like 1

It is going to depend on your geographical location as to your relative humidity. In 40% humidity utah I left weapons hanging on the wall or in cheap plastic cases unoiled with no rust whatsoever. Now on the northeast coast where the humidity is at 75% I have to keep a coat of oil on everything and bought a 70 liter dehumidifier to keep the moisture down.

For storing in a plastic case, pelican cases are air tight and have a manual vent, you can toss a bag of desicant in there to absorb the moisture. That will keep it easily accessible when you are home. When you are not, lock it up so it doesnt wander off.

• Like 1

The gun sock within the case works well, especially if you toss in a dehumidifying agent like Utah said. Parkerizing will of course only protect the parkerized parts, other parts, say the bore or a polished bolt will not be protected and may rust if not cared for. If it's going to be in-and-out as much as you say, you should be able to keep a close enough eye on her to keep her properly lubed and protected. And just a thought, no personal experience here, if you do go with the decoy gun idea, I would disable the gun somehow and of course keep all serialized receipts for the report incase it is stolen.

I've seen some of the hidden safe furniture things and I really like a few of them, totally understand if you don't care to share what you're going with, but if you do I'm kinda curious...

I plan on integrating it into the back of my dresser, which sits against the wall. Extending the back part by maybe 2 inches with a foam cutout and a very thin piece of wood on a tiny hinge so I can open and close it once its away from the wall.

Im on the east coast by the way. Virginia beach

Any. WD40 Long term Corrosion prevention, and froglube were some of the top performers in  long term corrosion prevention tests that people did. The former is much cheaper and performs nearly as well. It is also for sale everywhere.

Or if you live in a dusty area, maybe none. Where I live right now, there is so much fine dust in the air out in public land, that it just becomes an abrasive paste in your action if you lube everything.

• Like 1

I plan on integrating it into the back of my dresser, which sits against the wall. Extending the back part by maybe 2 inches with a foam cutout and a very thin piece of wood on a tiny hinge so I can open and close it once its away from the wall.

Im on the east coast by the way. Virginia beach

I want to know what you are going to put in this new hidy-hole and your exact physical address and the times of day/night you will be away from home.

Up north here remington sells alot of remoil in a spray thats easy applying and remwipes that come in a tub with a resealable lid. Stops the rust and isnt too messy. The wipes are handy for a quick rub down once you have a decent coat on a dry rifle. And it doesnt make it slippery or greasy!

Ive people leaving out cheap dummy guns, so the intruder figures they got the goods and can be on their way. Maybe ill do that too but I figure they will have their hands full with game consoles and stuff and not search high and low for a hidden gun that may or may not be there.

Just leave a claymore attached to the safe.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on what kind of oil to wipe it down with?

CLP break free is the shit. Over time it seasons your weapon into a fucking Teflon fry pan. Gotta use it to get it seasoned right. You won't get that effect if she turns out to be a safe queen. In that case just take it out once a year for cleaning and lubrication. If it is for defense, use it till you can count on it. New and unproven weapons suck when you need them most.

OW30 synthetic oil works pretty good. Thin enough to wipe dry enough so dust won't stick and thin enough to fill all the pores in the metal. For severe corrosive places like the beach, use a dry lube, or oil it every couple weeks.

I'll second the CLP.  Hoppe's #9 on hot gas areas, CLP on the rest.

Cleaning a CLP weapon with parts/carb/ect cleaner will remove the teflon leaving white residue when dry.

Proper "light coat" of CLP on Parkerized surfaces is it should leave a fingerprint if touched after wiping.

Don't use something like oven cleaner on Parkerized parts.  One Marine learned that the hard way!  Wound up with a chrome plated M16A2, and had to buy the Corps a new one.