My long awaited S12 with 100 series folder and other goodies

I've had this gun for at least 4 years, collecting parts and trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. Ray at saigatech did the folding stock, and its excellent. I can't say enough about his attention to detail, willingness to explain concepts, and overall bad ass fabrication skills. Tromix did the gas system/barrel chop for the previous owner, and previous owner did the sights. This is the first Saiga I've owned which I didn't do all the work, but some of this stuff was above my paygrade. I'm really happy with it, considering 8" SBS in the future. Just gonna enjoy it he way it is right now.

IMG_20150801_205256.jpg

IMG_20150801_205312.jpg

IMG_20150802_172031.jpg

IMG_20150802_172051.jpg

IMG_20150802_172044.jpg

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jcawthon/media/guns/IMG_20150801_205243.jpg.html]IMG_20150801_205243.jpg

• Like 9

Well, if you want to shorten the barrel to a certain length, you have to shorten the gas system, you don't necessarily have to chop the barrel immediately, not everyone has money laying around to drop on a tax stamp. Especially not after dropping the cash it requires to do a proper, quality 100 folder install on a 12. Like I said, I've had this gun for years and have been waiting and collecting parts to make it happen. I also said I want to do an 8" SBS, but there's not much disposable income around here since I bought my house.

• Like 6

If you wanna and if you can and afford it, wack that barrel back to around 12-14"?  You would then need that restraint front strap.  It would then make a nearly ideal home defense or close range defensive weapon.  Very cool indeed and thank you.  HB

Edit:  I forgot to say great pictures.  Curious how you made them as I do not know how and I would like to learn.

Edited by HB of CJ

Yeah, those aren't delios. They're obviously whatchamacallits. 

The cool thing about Ray's front latches is that he cuts the front right side of the receiver, and the whatchamacallit that sticks out the right side releases the folded stock. Usually the stock is released by the button on the butt plate only. This design allows it to be release with your front hand or your back hand.

• Like 1

I gotta get a sling. All I've ever uses on AK type guns is a regular old 2 point sling, with the exception of my other 12, which has a 3 point, but I don't really like it.

The 100 folder has a sling attachment on the right side, do you'll think a single point sling would work alright? I've never really used one.

I gotta get a sling. All I've ever uses on AK type guns is a regular old 2 point sling, with the exception of my other 12, which has a 3 point, but I don't really like it.

The 100 folder has a sling attachment on the right side, do you'll think a single point sling would work alright? I've never really used one.

It may be a little noisy and might not hang well for a right handed user.

ETA: I'd probably use this http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/qd-micro-mount/ (do we still have that rule about providing links to non-vendors? ETA2: I'm trying to make that not hot, but it still keeps doing it. Mod please delete if it is an issue) and run a Russian sling. They are wide and long and it will flop around a lot less with 2 point than single.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Quite some time after doing the first conversion, I wanted a comfortable way of carrying the beast, but over the shoulder, at the ready. I got some of the Winchester swivels at WM and replaced the tang screw with the quick detach stock screw. Added the matching machine screw to the front handguard on the left side. Sorry for the crappy pics.

post-36534-0-06492600-1439606352_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-95076400-1439606413_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-15587800-1439606469_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-71013800-1439606513_thumb.jpg