Bolt on hand guard retainer

Hey everyone.  I want to put an AKM Magpul hand guard on my Saiga.  I have read that I need a retainer for this to work.  I have also read that you should make sure the retainer is made of the right materials or else the heat from the barrel will warp the clip?  I need a bolt on retainer because I dont have access to a press and I think a bolt on will do for my shooter needs.  My question is recommendations for the bolt on retainer clip?  I have seen some for $20-$110 so im not sure what the best bang for your buck would be.  Any help would be great

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Why? The full-length Magpul handguard will go right onto the Saiga, since you have to cut off the  retainer to use it on most AKs any way.

Which MagPul fore end are you using?  The long MOE doesn't fit and MagPul said the Zhukov isn't a direct fit.  Or am I getting the wrong info right from MagPul?

Edited by ZenFacade
  • 4 weeks later...

Why? The full-length Magpul handguard will go right onto the Saiga, since you have to cut off the  retainer to use it on most AKs any way.

Which MagPul fore end are you using?  The long MOE doesn't fit and MagPul said the Zhukov isn't a direct fit.  Or am I getting the wrong info right from MagPul?

Zhukov is the long one and is direct fit, except for the top hand guard not present on a saiga 7.62 anyway.... If you use a Magpul AKM hand guard you would use the bolt on retainer and AK gas tube. Got it ?

Edited by Mr.RMZ