Muzzle Thread Issue

I am demoralized at present. I bought the PolyChoke Flash Hider muzzle choke for my self converted Saiga 12. Imagine my surprise when I easily unscrewed my factory thread protector and attempted to screw on the Poly Choke. No go. Threads on about 1 thread and then stops. Mindful of the fact that these are fine threads, I do not try to force it, but contact the Saiga-12 store where I bought. They suggest returning it and I do. They send me a NEW PolyChoke Flash Hider that they have tried on their Saiga-12 to ensure it's function. BTW Super nice treatment by the service staff at Saiga-12, I am THRILLED with their service. The new flash hider arrived today and I just tried it on. Same thing as before. So I have deduced that the problem is my shotgun barrel’s threads. Should I chase the threads with a tap? What tap and where do I get one?

To be clear, the machining on both Poly Chokes appears outstanding and service from Saiga-12 was impeccable. The problem is on my end.

Thanks for any ideas

You can get a M.22x0.75 Rh tap to clean up those threads. Sadly Izzy sometimes uses worn out tooling, and it looks like you got one done with a dull die. I'll message you a link to a cheapo chinese one from ebay. Maybe not up to the task of cutting new threads, but if you lube it up properly, it should be adequate to clean up existing threads.

I had one that was not as bad as yours, but there was no way the threads were going on all the way. So I used some oil on the threads and worked the thread protector on and off with a wrench. (Steel kind not plastic like the new ones).  I cleaned out the grease and re greased the threads. After a few minutes, I could get on my flash hider or choke adapter without problems. Frankly, I didn't expect that to work, but it did.

• Like 2

Thank you GunFun. Also I want to mention that Saiga-12.com customer service, contacted me back with the suggestion I use a brush and carefully clean my muzzle threads. I am sure between that and chasing the threads, I will have success.

I was feeling sorry for myself after spending money on something that I was worried would not work. Happy know to have specific direction to proceed.

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was finally able to sit down and take some oil and a good stiff brush and clean the threads on my S-12 muzzle. Got a lot of dirt/plastic crap from the plastic muzzle cover out of the threads and was thrilled when it screwed right on!!!

I panicked too quick and was able to cheaply fix the issue.

Thanks GunFun and Saiga-12.com customer service

Edited by neubert500
  • Like 1